• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylars for CGC graded comics?

Are Mylars for CGC graded comics a good idea or overkill?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Are Mylars for CGC graded comics a good idea or overkill?

24 posts in this topic

mylar protects paper collectibles from acidic or basic damage. It will have no effect on a plastic slab. Better to have a felt envelope made up for slabs, like the Forthesses used to some with. or maybe Saran Wrap - -tranparent and soft, like a rubberized outer shell.

Mylar is unnecessary, but there are regular bags (polypropylene/ethylene?) that fit slabs. I just keep the ones CGC ships the books in... thumbsup2.gif

that ugly plastic bag? screwy.gif27_laughing.gif

Hey, the price is right, so takeit.gif.

And your recommendation would be...? confused-smiley-013.gif

Are people collecting comic books or slabs? I'm really confused at the concept here. The comic book is already protected (as well as it can be with the current holder), worrying about an attractive solution for protecting the SLABS seems like overkill of the highest order. What's next worrying about protection for the mylars that protect the slabs that protect the comics?

Are people collecting comic books or slabs? I'm really confused at the concept here. The comic book is already protected (as well as it can be with the current holder), worrying about an attractive solution for protecting the SLABS seems like overkill of the highest order. What's next worrying about protection for the mylars that protect the slabs that protect the comics?

Exactly - if it functions to keep the slab from getting scratched, it's done it's duty! The aesthetics of the book inside the slab are already bad enough without having to attempt to look through a worn/scratched case... frustrated.gif

Are people collecting comic books or slabs? I'm really confused at the concept here. The comic book is already protected (as well as it can be with the current holder), worrying about an attractive solution for protecting the SLABS seems like overkill of the highest order.

I think Mylar is overkill, but keeping the slabs from getting scratched is reason enough for a plastic sleeve of some kind. Polypropylene is preferable to the CGC bags just from a visual POV.

Are people collecting comic books or slabs? I'm really confused at the concept here. The comic book is already protected (as well as it can be with the current holder), worrying about an attractive solution for protecting the SLABS seems like overkill of the highest order.

I think Mylar is overkill, but keeping the slabs from getting scratched is reason enough for a plastic sleeve of some kind. Polypropylene is preferable to the CGC bags just from a visual POV.

Those CGC bags usually detract from the book fairly quickly - they wear and tear very easily.

I'm all for keeping the slabs from getting scratched. I just don't understand why anyone would care what the bag (holding the slab, holding the comic, inside a box) looks like.

I'm all for keeping the slabs from getting scratched. I just don't understand why anyone would care what the bag (holding the slab, holding the comic, inside a box) looks like.

A higher quality bag will allow the comic to be viewed through it and the slab without having to remove the slab from the bag. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree a mylar sleeve is excessive. My only guess on why someone would go this route (other than overpaying) is simply aesthetics. To each their own, I guess.

There is a reason beyond aesthetics. The thing to remember about why Mylar is used in the first place is that we don't use it instead of polybags because it helps preserve a comic, we use it because it doesn't hurt comics like polybags do. Polybags release acids as they degrade; Mylar doesn't.

The question is, what percentage of the acid released from a polybag would make it into the CGC case? This reminds me of the argument for using acid-free boxes when you've already got your comics encapsulated in acid-free Mylars; will the acid released from corrugated cardboard actually make its way into the Mylar? If the Mylar's tops are open, then I can see it happening, but it would be extremely difficult to measure how much gets in. It seems to me that since CGC cases are much closer to being completely sealed than Mylars are, the argument for using Mylars with CGC cases is even weaker than the one for using acid-free boxes with Mylars.

I doubt that anybody here has enough info about the diffusion of polybag acids to make an informed call on this topic. I know I'm not all that worried about it, but I could be wrong.