• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck R. SDCC FDQ Exit?

305 posts in this topic

Got Mile High's Con Report #3 e-wail and someone's not to happy.

"...may need to end after this year's show closes tomorrow evening. I have not yet found the courage to reach my final decision, but my best estimate is that, at our current rate of sales, we will suffer a loss of $10,000 at this year's show."

And the primary complaint--

"In a nutshell, the comics publishers with booths at the San Diego convention have so cleverly exploited the greed and avarice of comics fans through limited edition publications that are only available through their own booths, that there is no longer enough disposable income left in the room to sustain us."

The greed and avarice of comics fans? Wow. I guess that's one way to warm up to your customer base.

I actually might agree with the guy if it wasnt Miles High. Comic cons have now turned into exclusives, variants and limited edition items. Combine that with panels of celebrities and I am surprised that anyone can actually make a profit selling comics there. I know some do, but it must be hard and stressful.

Unbelievable

He could have booming sales at his booth if his prices weren't mile-high

This dude is completely out of touch with any semblance of reality.....

I actually might agree with the guy if it wasnt Miles High. Comic cons have now turned into exclusives, variants and limited edition items. Combine that with panels of celebrities and I am surprised that anyone can actually make a profit selling comics there. I know some do, but it must be hard and stressful.

i'd love to hear from actual dealers but i can't believe this is far wrong.

I think the real problem is how some dealers have been practicing the same old selling strategy since day 1. You need to adjust with the market and that means doing better market research on what will actually sell versus having a huge wall full of nothing nobody wants (i.e. 50 variants of that tacky Justice Flag Variant, etc.).

I think the Comic Madness booth is a good example of what the affordable consumer is looking to spend for despite selling nothing but Modern Issues. The line continuously moves, people continuously order back issues they need, and there's no inflated silver/bronze/copper to the mercy of cinema/OSPG/GPA. Straightforward business IMO.

Older dealers: start giving away stuff, start inducing something to make your booth actually interesting other than having large quantities with the typical retailer/clothing store jive of inflated price tags with 30-50% off signs. Do a raffle, have something of common interest to the new age consumer who can't afford your $200+ books that have no immediate significance to this younger generation.

As for limited edition prints, dealers have the same ability to do their own. I saw a few of Conquest Comics prints at the con being signed at the J Scott Campbell booth. To each his own strategy for making certain product 'limited' aside from merely saying "this is the last one left/we only have __ left" I mean come onn, I feel like I heard every trick in the book today from the average car salesman comic book dealer.

i'd love to hear from actual dealers but i can't believe this is far wrong.

Maybe it's a simple as maintaining a humongous presence in San Diego when his market has changed.

If everybody's focus is on the next hot thing, the event exclusives, why bring acres of cold backstock? Maybe dial it back a bit. His customers can get his offerings any day of the week, all year long.

Maybe rethink being megalithic at SDCC. (shrug)

I think the real problem is how some dealers have been practicing the same old selling strategy since day 1. You need to adjust with the market and that means doing better market research on what will actually sell versus having a huge wall full of nothing nobody wants (i.e. 50 variants of that tacky Justice Flag Variant, etc.).

I think the Comic Madness booth is a good example of what the affordable consumer is looking to spend for despite selling nothing but Modern Issues. The line continuously moves, people continuously order back issues they need, and there's no inflated silver/bronze/copper to the mercy of cinema/OSPG/GPA. Straightforward business IMO.

Older dealers: start giving away stuff, start inducing something to make your booth actually interesting other than having large quantities with the typical retailer/clothing store jive of inflated price tags with 30-50% off signs. Do a raffle, have something of common interest to the new age consumer who can't afford your $200+ books that have no immediate significance to this younger generation.

As for limited edition prints, dealers have the same ability to do their own. I saw a few of Conquest Comics prints at the con being signed at the J Scott Campbell booth. To each his own strategy for making certain product 'limited' aside from merely saying "this is the last one left/we only have __ left" I mean come onn, I feel like I heard every trick in the book today from the average car salesman comic book dealer.

Or skip the whole pop-culture schtick, celebrities and the 1-2K tables..., and go back to having actual comic conventions, where the focus is....., buying and selling comics.

Or skip the whole pop-culture schtick, celebrities and the 1-2K tables..., and go back to having actual comic conventions, where the focus is....., buying and selling comics.

This is the first time in 12+ years I haven't gone to SDCC,I have more fun at Terry O'Neil's small show in Yorba Linda.Bonus no crowds and I don't have to spend 600.00 a night for a hotel. :)

Don't worry Hollywood will leave the field eventually and this pop-culture mash up will come crashing down with nothing but retread exclusives. Maybe then you will be able to go sit down and enjoy a comic book lecture in Hall H at comic-con.

Chuck: It's more profitable to sell 100 burgers for $2 each than one burger for $10....or no burgers.....

With this slight modification, his post is perfectly fine to me:

the comics publishers with booths at the San Diego convention have so cleverly exploited the greed and avarice of comics fans through limited edition publications that are only available through their own booths, that there is no longer enough disposable income greed and avarice left in the room to sustain us."

These still happen all over the place, all the time. No need for SDCC to devolve back to that.

SD is a juggernaut that has very little to do with comics anymore.

And even though there are books there, the $10-15K all in you need to spend to set up there is not paid for by the few customers who happen to luck out on a ticket.

If you're loaded to the gills with inventory you do well. If you don't have nearly one of everything, you're going to have a tough time making much money.

This show is really jumped the shark over the last 2 or 3 years.