• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where Monsters Dwell # 6 - Poor mans Groot club.

34 posts in this topic

Not that I am aware of, but that's an interesting spin. ;) Heck, if Foom 2, Marvel Age or early advertisements are considered by some as 1st Apps, I suppose anything is possible . . . :insane:

Certainly one of the more/most acceptable 2nd appearances off a reprint. Hard pressed to find a character that became even reasonably popular that had such a long time between first and second appearances. And then was reprinted in the middle. Maybe Riddler Tec 140 142 to Batman 171? Other GA Batman villains like Scarecrow or Solomon Grundy?

Another might be the ASM 42 insert (not a second appearance but early reprint)

TTA 13 is practically a prototype except that it is the character (pre marvel universe) and then so much time passes until the Hulk Annual where at least he plays the villain.

There's a very interesting early appearance of Groot in one of the ads within the Marvel Games and Toys catalogue comics. I forget which one.

Anyone know if Strange Tales 97 was ever reprinted as part of the 70s Marvels or even later?

Considering how expensive TTA 13 is already and how few appearances he had until the 2000's

I think Where Monsters Dwell and Hulk Annual are very important. In a rare situation with so few appearances I dont think WMD being a reprint of TTA 13 matters a whole lot. If you collect Groot, you have 3 comics to buy prior to 2003? And a few ads if they are out there. I think both issues are undervalued compared to the other books related to Guardians, and there are more books to chose from.

There's question now as to whether Hulk Annual #5 is a "true" Groot appearance, since in the story it was replica (artificial construct to be specific) of Groot that Hulk was fighting. You can read the synopsis on the Marvel wiki to see for yourself:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Incredible_Hulk_Annual_Vol_1_5

So, that technically could mean there was only the two TTA #13 and WMD #6 appearances of the "real Groot" up until 2003.

There's question now as to whether Hulk Annual #5 is a "true" Groot appearance, since in the story it was replica (artificial construct to be specific) of Groot that Hulk was fighting. You can read the synopsis on the Marvel wiki to see for yourself:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Incredible_Hulk_Annual_Vol_1_5

So, that technically could mean there was only the two TTA #13 and WMD #6 appearances of the "real Groot" up until 2003.

There is also a reprint of the story from TTA #13 in this book

Weird_Wonder_Tales_19.jpg

image hosting

Certainly one of the more/most acceptable 2nd appearances off a reprint. Hard pressed to find a character that became even reasonably popular that had such a long time between first and second appearances. And then was reprinted in the middle. Maybe Riddler Tec 140 142 to Batman 171? Other GA Batman villains like Scarecrow or Solomon Grundy?

Another might be the ASM 42 insert (not a second appearance but early reprint)

TTA 13 is practically a prototype except that it is the character (pre marvel universe) and then so much time passes until the Hulk Annual where at least he plays the villain.

There's a very interesting early appearance of Groot in one of the ads within the Marvel Games and Toys catalogue comics. I forget which one.

Anyone know if Strange Tales 97 was ever reprinted as part of the 70s Marvels or even later?

Black Adam has a longer gap between his first and second appearance. The gap between first and second appearance is about 32 years plus there was a reprint issue that came out about four years before his second appearance.

There's question now as to whether Hulk Annual #5 is a "true" Groot appearance, since in the story it was replica (artificial construct to be specific) of Groot that Hulk was fighting.

This sounds like a Strange Tales #114 situation. Where we have the 1st Silver Age appearance of "Captain America" that predates Avengers #4. But its really Acrobat dressed up like Cap.