• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First they were CGG, then PGA, NOW PGX!!!!!

203 posts in this topic

So, who is currently handling restoration at CGC, and is his/her experience any less respected than the predecessor?

Chris is still with us at this point, but yes, soon to be gone. frown.gif

Please remember that I was doing ALL the restoration checks before I hired Friesen. I was doing it at a time when people were sending in comics with VERY TINY amounts of work on them in order to prove that we could not do the job correctly. We proved them all wrong, most of the naysayers and/or people who just did not like the fact that some parts of the comic book hobby were moving into a new and bold direction are now converts who use our service or have accepted that CGC and certification is here to stay. Not only that but, during that time when I was doing all the resto detection (with the help of Haspel and Litch, who now, after working for years with me and Friesen, have some of the best eyes in the hobby) most of the top collectors and dealers were singing the praises on how great the resto detection was. Remember, many people wanted us to fail and tested us every chance they got.

Will losing Friesen cost us time? Yes, I have cut down on the time I spend with advertising, I will be doing a lot less PR this year, and I will now be spending more time on the resto checks. Haspel and Litch will also be working on resto detection. If we find someone who can fill Friesens shoes, then we will hire them. It's too bad hammer is such a sociopath, he'd be great with all his restoration and trimming experience poke2.gif

Would a modern PGX graded book be worth as much as a CGC?

If PGX and CGC had equal reliability in grading and restoration check, why not?

But they don't, so currently the answer is no. Certified grading relies on customer confidence, and right now CGC are the market leaders.

The key words being " right now ". If CGC doesn't put an end to SCS; improve their turnaround times; and scrap their plans to have restoration services under their umbrella.... consumer confidence will continue to erode.

thumbsup2.gif I firmly believe that SCS could be the one thing that shakes consumer confidence in CGC moreso than anything else. Interminable turnaround times are a concern as well, but SCS is something that affects more than just the initial submitter.

Does anyone actually have a scan of a PGA/PGX slabbed book? I'm curious as to whether they may have issues with SCS as well.

What is the difference between PGA/PGX and CGC? Are PGA graded books just as good as CGC? confused-smiley-013.gif

Major difference being the restoration detection is subject to scrutiny (PGX). I'd use them for cheaper Modern books or when turnaround time is paramount. Haven't used them yet, though.

This difference may be mitigated by the loss of CGC’s restoration expert. I think PGX needs

to cut their apparent symbiotic relationship with Christinascollectables aka tdcomixncardz

aka comics4yall before they can gain legitimacy. Their customer service is pretty good

and I have found them to be on target with their grading. The e-mail from Daniel documenting

the grading notes is a real plus. Generally, CGG/PGA/PGX are moving in the right direction.

linky

I don't think the loss of Friesen is going to affect CGC that much. Paul and Steve are both experts in detecting restoration, and most of the other graders there are probably really good at it too, as I know that Friesen trains them as he goes along. Friesen is probably the best of the three, but Paul and Steve aren't exactly slouches either. They are certainly better than anyone PGX has, although I would surmise that the guy at PGX is probably better than the average collector or dealer at spotting restoration simply because that's what he does all day long.

Most restoration is not that hard to spot when you have the book in your hand and you know what to look for. And even the best restoration professionals can miss restoration that is well done. That applies not just to Chris Friesen, but also to Matt Nelson, Sue Cicconi, Matt Wilson, Tracey Heft, and of course, Hammer. 27_laughing.gif Ask any of them (except for Hammer) and all of them (except for Hammer) will tell you that they've missed resto on books before. You're paying for an expert examination and an opinion, not 100% certainty.

Would a modern PGX graded book be worth as much as a CGC?

If PGX and CGC had equal reliability in grading and restoration check, why not?

But they don't, so currently the answer is no. Certified grading relies on customer confidence, and right now CGC are the market leaders.

The key words being " right now ". If CGC doesn't put an end to SCS; improve their turnaround times; and scrap their plans to have restoration services under their umbrella.... consumer confidence will continue to erode.

thumbsup2.gif I firmly believe that SCS could be the one thing that shakes consumer confidence in CGC moreso than anything else. Interminable turnaround times are a concern as well, but SCS is something that affects more than just the initial submitter.

Does anyone actually have a scan of a PGA/PGX slabbed book? I'm curious as to whether they may have issues with SCS as well.

I haven't seen any PGX books with SCS. confused-smiley-013.gif Even the ones with the old CGC-style inner well. But there are fewer of them, so who knows. With the new inner well design (which doesn't have inner well walls to make contact with the comic, I and others believe that SCS is far less likely to occur. Some people say that staples are more prone to tear through the cover with this design, but I haven't seen any PGX books with torn-through staples either.

I haven't seen any PGX books with SCS. confused-smiley-013.gif Even the ones with the old CGC-style inner well. But there are fewer of them, so who knows. With the new inner well design (which doesn't have inner well walls to make contact with the comic, I and others believe that SCS is far less likely to occur. Some people say that staples are more prone to tear through the cover with this design, but I haven't seen any PGX books with torn-through staples either.

Excuse me for butting in on a perfectly executed Quote fest but Scotts comments about possible inner well designs that either detur SCS, or promote Staple/cover pulls caught my eye.

I do applaud CGC for recently adding more sizes of inner wells to better fit the comics being slabbed. I would say this is a round about way of addressing the SCS problem , a tighter , better fitting well will not allow the comic to be slamed inside the well. But the PGA type of tapered inner well still seems to be a better solution, as it mimics a Bag Board Mylar conditions.

My point /question is during the R&D of an inner well design, did they submit the design through "crash tests".. or "repetitive wear tests" similar to a car manufacturer that drops a 100 pound weight over, and over again on a seat cushion to see how it wears?.. or opens and closes a door 200,000 times in a row to see how repetitive wear affects it?

Because if the tapered inner well design is said to promote staple pulling, and or cover seperation.. would not extended repetative normal handling tests reveal this design flaw?

Makes me wonder as to how a FINAL design is ever actually decided upon by PGA, OR CGC..if time was the major deciding factor........ I imagine you just go with the best prototype you have, run with it.. flaws and all. Because every new SLAB prototype you try out costs more time, and money..to make AND to test.

Ok.. another question.. How many of you here that deal with thousands of comics have seen cover seperation on a squarebound, or ANY comic... due too a tight Mylar?..similar to what might happen over time in the PGA inner well design.

I am sure this DOES happen, but is it really a reason to throw out the tapered inner well design, and go with the blunt edged wall.. that CAN .. and still DOES cause mild forms of SCS.

To be sure I am aware we have gone over the whole SCS thing post mortem.

Still it is worth keeping tabs on, and discussing.

Now.. back to your regularly scheduled Quote War.

Ze-

Ok.. I give up.. am I going crazy..? I had to take a phone call while I was making my last post.

45 minutes later I submit it... only to see parts of the thread pulled?... who used quotes one too many times?

Or perhaps I AM going crazy... and it was all in my head.

Ze-

If we find someone who can fill Friesens shoes, then we will hire them. It's too bad hammer is such a sociopath, he'd be great with all his restoration and trimming experience poke2.gif

....now, now,....it's not fair to discriminate,...sociopaths have bills to pay like everyone else,.....they need good jobs too.......as long as they don't maim or disembowel any other members of the workplace I see no harm in hiring them..... 893naughty-thumb.gif

If we find someone who can fill Friesens shoes, then we will hire them. It's too bad hammer is such a sociopath, he'd be great with all his restoration and trimming experience poke2.gif

....now, now,....it's not fair to discriminate,...sociopaths have bills to pay like everyone else,.....they need good jobs too.......as long as they don't maim or disembowel any other members of the workplace I see no harm in hiring them..... 893naughty-thumb.gif

hammer would be perfect, except that his superpowers of restoration detection only enable him to evaluate scans, not the actual books. Once he physically has the book in hand, these powers fail him time and again as can be attested by the dozens of "unrestored" books he sold to forum members only to come back later as PLODs. confused-smiley-013.gif

hammer would be perfect, except that his superpowers of restoration detection only enable him to evaluate scans, not the actual books. Once he physically has the book in hand, these powers fail him time and again as can be attested by the dozens of "unrestored" books he sold to forum members only to come back later as PLODs. confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I had to sign a contract not to maim or disembowel my coworkers. hi.gifinsane.gif

It sucks because there was a lot of good information being preented about PGX and restoration detection.

Well perhaps if you hadn't started a match with sterling the thread would still be intact. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good job blowhard, way to stir the pot. Perhaps Arch should look into your instigative posts. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It sucks because there was a lot of good information being preented about PGX and restoration detection.

Well perhaps if you hadn't started a match with sterling the thread would still be intact. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good job blowhard, way to stir the pot. Perhaps Arch should look into your instigative posts. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

sleeping.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know...it's odd! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

sleeping.gif

That's probably the smartest thing you have posted since you got here. Now go run along you little scamp.

he was actually here first before you got here. gossip.gif and what's up with the scroogish attitude of late? screwy.gif

Oh, then he may have had a good post before I got here, but since then nada.

Maybe I should claim my account got hijacked while I was at work, that seemed to work pretty good.