• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting to collect again… Could any kind soul catch me up to speed?

43 posts in this topic

ps I've noticed Thor Kirby issues are starting to rise in value-My Comic Shop confirms this-might wanna start scooping them up

Someday SA DC will spike-I'm sure of it

Some day....

I've been thinking the same thing since I got back into the hobby in 2000... lol

The good thing about SA DC not spiking (yet) is that you can get them for a lot less than their Marvel counterparts!

that misguided notion has been around a lot longer than that.

Some day....

I've been thinking the same thing since I got back into the hobby in 2000... lol

The good thing about SA DC not spiking (yet) is that you can get them for a lot less than their Marvel counterparts!

You don't see value in SA DC keys?

Showcase 4

Brave and the Bold 28

Movie and TV aside, these are important books with very popular characters. Do you disagree?

Maybe spike is the wrong word, but recent windfalls of Marvel keys has largely been driven by better publicity via movies and merchandising...

I'm in the undervalued DC camp as well. I think the books that tie into the upcoming JLA movie should and could do real well. I think the Bronze Age DC's are particularly affordable. Green Lantern #87 and Forever People #1 are good books. A nice (7.5-8.0) copy of each can be had for <$150. As far as Marvel's go TTA #35 has potential and should appreciate into the upcoming Ant Man movie. I wouldn't sell the Fantastic Four short either. 45, 48 and 52 are all solid. Good luck with the rediscovery!

I'm in the undervalued DC camp as well. I think the books that tie into the upcoming JLA movie should and could do real well. I think the Bronze Age DC's are particularly affordable. Green Lantern #87 and Forever People #1 are good books. A nice (7.5-8.0) copy of each can be had for <$150. As far as Marvel's go TTA #35 has potential and should appreciate into the upcoming Ant Man movie. I wouldn't sell the Fantastic Four short either. 45, 48 and 52 are all solid. Good luck with the rediscovery!

Before my hiatus I was collecting a lot of the NA Batman books like 232, 251, 222 so at least I got a few of those off my list.

I have a real beater copy of Forever People #1 that I definitely want to upgrade soon. I think TTA #35 is outta my range for now. If I was dropping cash like that I would rather put it to something like IM #55.

don't buy any comic from after 1980 if you plan on getting it slabbed

don't buy any baseball card printed after 1980

buy vintage cards and comics only if you ever plan on selling them because you may be needing money to start a family some day

the only true collectable with an easy resale is coins, go to the NGC chat boards, coin dealers will buy everything you have when the day come that you need to sell , EVERYTHING!

if you buy any modern comics, when it comes time to sell dealers will not even look at your stuff or make an offer , you will have to work very hard to sell them and even then you will get little of your initial investment back

collect modern comics (or beanie babies for that matter) for the love of reading them only

Some day....

It must be nice to have dreams, faith and hope. One day I may regain some of my own.

I think everyone is making a mistake with some silver DC. I think some books/titles are extremely under valued.

Some day....

It must be nice to have dreams, faith and hope. One day I may regain some of my own.

I think everyone is making a mistake with some silver DC. I think some books/titles are extremely under valued.

Showcase #30 & GL #7, Hector?

Some day....

Showcase #30 & GL #7, Hector?

SOME

Like a lot actually

Yes there are exceptions but the point is valid.

for the same reason you would not buy a modern proof set after 1980 and then crack out a coin and pay $20.00+ each to get it slabbed and graded.

Comics dont come pre slabbed like proofs. Plenty of 80's books worth slabbing.

Some day....

Showcase 4

Brave and the Bold 28

Movie and TV aside, these are important books with very popular characters. Do you disagree?

Maybe spike is the wrong word, but recent windfalls of Marvel keys has largely been driven by better publicity via movies and merchandising...

of course there are going to be DC's worth owning but the notion that there is going to be some sort of tectonic shift where DC's are going to become book for book as worthwhile as buying/owning Marvel is not going to happen.

post 1980's certified comics, coins, cards & stamps= 99.9% drek due to the enormous volume available "plenty" worth slabbing is misleading to a newcomer

I guess you could say the same for all those SA Spideys. :facepalm:

Some day....

Showcase 4

Brave and the Bold 28

of course there are going to be DC's worth owning but the notion that there is going to be some sort of tectonic shift where DC's are going to become book for book as worthwhile as buying/owning Marvel is not going to happen.

I'd go along with that. Right now the gap is wide though. Too wide.

Some day....

Showcase 4

Brave and the Bold 28

I agree at current it would be pretty hard to believe. Not sure I ever see a time (at least in the next 30+ years), where an AF 15 is worth less than a SC 4; but I can imagine a time where the DC books make up significant ground as the prices of Marvel keys become unreachable for all but the wealthiest of society.

Buy single digit Daredevil issues...the franchise will eventually recover from the Ben Affleck debacle...

It's a bad time to buy DD 1 right now. That book has increased 25% or more very recently due to the tv hype. Then again, if the hype pays off and the tv show's great, it could still be a bargain at its current level. Prognosticating is hard.