• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Thing (1983) #1

35 posts in this topic

Sorry if this was covered in another thread but searching for "Thing" doesn't exactly help.

When in the world did this become a $30 book in OSPG? Is that price at all linked to reality or just an OSPG idiosyncrasy?

I would love to have a copy of issue 1 graded CGC 9.8, but I would never pay $30 for a raw copy. I think $10 for a raw 9.8 candidate is more realistic.

The 90 day average for a slabbed 9.8 is $75. The 12 month average is $120.

Grading fee is about $25/book, on average.

If you can find people willing to sell 9.8 candidates for $10, you should buy every single one of them. It makes no sense to sell books for $10 that you could net $30, $40, or more for.

I've had lots and lots and lots of people want to pay "$5-$10" for raw 9.8 candidates. The WTB forum is littered with such offers. I've refused every single time. These people want something for nothing. If they want 9.8s, they should go out and do the legwork to find the books themselves, or start paying GPA minus slabbing cost for raw 9.8s.

"But what if it doesn't come back 9.8??" Then deal with it at that point, and have a contingency plan in place from the start to deal with it. Not all the books that are IN 9.8 slabs NOW will come back 9.8 a second time through.

hm

seriously, he has that at $30 in OPG now? crazy. that is a straight to dollar box book until otherwise proven. 9.8 shminepointeight. it may be legitimately tough in 9.8 because it really was one of those books tossed right into the 5/$1 box after the realization that it was going nowhere. also, i don't think it was speculated on the same way alpha flight 1 was, so maybe a badjillion copies weren't printed. that's the only way it can get decent coin in 9.8.

i actually subscribed to that thinking byrne would be doing the art. man was i disappointed. what did he do, the cover for one issue or something?

and frankly, i think it gets those prices in 9.8 because RMA might be the only one slabbing it (I kid you!). it isn't the type of 80s book that jumps out at you as a slabbing candidate even if it is in perfect shape. i am surprised it goes for more than $35.

seriously, he has that at $30 in OPG now? crazy. that is a straight to dollar box book until otherwise proven. 9.8 shminepointeight. it may be legitimately tough in 9.8 because it really was one of those books tossed right into the 5/$1 box after the realization that it was going nowhere. also, i don't think it was speculated on the same way alpha flight 1 was, so maybe a badjillion copies weren't printed. that's the only way it can get decent coin in 9.8.

i actually subscribed to that thinking byrne would be doing the art. man was i disappointed. what did he do, the cover for one issue or something?

At least he wrote the first 13 issues.

I would love to have a copy of issue 1 graded CGC 9.8, but I would never pay $30 for a raw copy. I think $10 for a raw 9.8 candidate is more realistic.

If you can find people willing to sell 9.8 candidates for $10, you should buy every single one of them. It makes no sense to sell books for $10 that you could net $30, $40, or more for.

I've had lots and lots and lots of people want to pay "$5-$10" for raw 9.8 candidates. The WTB forum is littered with such offers. I've refused every single time. These people want something for nothing. If they want 9.8s, they should go out and do the legwork to find the books themselves, or start paying GPA minus slabbing cost for raw 9.8s.

"But what if it doesn't come back 9.8??" Then deal with it at that point, and have a contingency plan in place from the start to deal with it. Not all the books that are IN 9.8 slabs NOW will come back 9.8 a second time through.

hm

No truer words were ever spoken. :sumo::foryou:

hm

No truer words were ever spoken. :sumo::foryou:

9.8 slabbed price minus slabbing costs is only fair if there is a money back guarantee that it will come back 9.8. Otherwise, a hefty premium for 9.6+ should be more than sufficient - i.e. $12-20 for a book that guides at $3.00

At least he wrote the first 13 issues.

hard to enjoy a well written story when your eyes are bleeding from the horrible art

I liked the issue where it is revealed Lockjaw was a regular person until subjected to the Mists that give Inhumans their powers. It might have been the most powerful story Byrne ever wrote. Of course, it was retofitted out of existence, but it was damned powerful.

hm

Youve turned down 30 or more from me. :grin: