• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Thing (1983) #1

35 posts in this topic

I would love to have a copy of issue 1 graded CGC 9.8, but I would never pay $30 for a raw copy. I think $10 for a raw 9.8 candidate is more realistic.

The 90 day average for a slabbed 9.8 is $75. The 12 month average is $120.

Grading fee is about $25/book, on average.

If you can find people willing to sell 9.8 candidates for $10, you should buy every single one of them. It makes no sense to sell books for $10 that you could net $30, $40, or more for.

I've had lots and lots and lots of people want to pay "$5-$10" for raw 9.8 candidates. The WTB forum is littered with such offers. I've refused every single time. These people want something for nothing. If they want 9.8s, they should go out and do the legwork to find the books themselves, or start paying GPA minus slabbing cost for raw 9.8s.

"But what if it doesn't come back 9.8??" Then deal with it at that point, and have a contingency plan in place from the start to deal with it. Not all the books that are IN 9.8 slabs NOW will come back 9.8 a second time through.

hm

Youve turned down 30 or more from me. :grin:

On Thing #1?

I would love to have a copy of issue 1 graded CGC 9.8, but I would never pay $30 for a raw copy. I think $10 for a raw 9.8 candidate is more realistic.

The 90 day average for a slabbed 9.8 is $75. The 12 month average is $120.

Grading fee is about $25/book, on average.

If you can find people willing to sell 9.8 candidates for $10, you should buy every single one of them. It makes no sense to sell books for $10 that you could net $30, $40, or more for.

I've had lots and lots and lots of people want to pay "$5-$10" for raw 9.8 candidates. The WTB forum is littered with such offers. I've refused every single time. These people want something for nothing. If they want 9.8s, they should go out and do the legwork to find the books themselves, or start paying GPA minus slabbing cost for raw 9.8s.

"But what if it doesn't come back 9.8??" Then deal with it at that point, and have a contingency plan in place from the start to deal with it. Not all the books that are IN 9.8 slabs NOW will come back 9.8 a second time through.

hm

Youve turned down 30 or more from me. :grin:

On Thing #1?

hulk 371 and 373. even worse? lol

:baiting:

Some people call them variants, and technically, they ARE variants to the regular Direct market books being sold IN CANADA at the time...but some other people have a hard time with the word "variant", because the multi-price version (aka Direct market copy) wasn't for sale at the same time, in the same places, as the 75 cent copy.