• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man #1 *SOLD*

74 posts in this topic

I've been wanting a cheap and well presenting AF15 for a couple of years and have missed a few opportunities. I think the general consensus would be darn near every boardie would want a sweet deal on a book. Deals happen, but obviously timing is everything. Welcome to the boards and to the "Missed it by seconds club".

Fair point! I realize now how that sounds. From my perspective it's not about the money itself - just what I personally value this book (and others) at. I buy to keep for life, and generally am not interested in grade or resale value. So yes, I'm looking for a "deal", but only to satisfy my own personal valuation.

Kind of a newbie here but this thread just rubbed me the wrong way. Kudos to this seller for not taking offense to some of the posts here. Seems like when there's a decent book up for grabs at a decent price a few people on these boards turn into vultures circling a carcass. Pretty upsetting because i'm just getting back into collecting and the last thing I wanted was to collect for personal gain. Wanted to do it because I love the characters and stories and the monetary value was just a bonus imo. I think a lot of people on these forums need to reevaluate what reasons they are collecting for. Sorry this is long but felt like I should say something.

Kind of a newbie here but this thread just rubbed me the wrong way. Kudos to this seller for not taking offense to some of the posts here. Seems like when there's a decent book up for grabs at a decent price a few people on these boards turn into vultures circling a carcass. Pretty upsetting because i'm just getting back into collecting and the last thing I wanted was to collect for personal gain. Wanted to do it because I love the characters and stories and the monetary value was just a bonus imo. I think a lot of people on these forums need to reevaluate what reasons they are collecting for. Sorry this is long but felt like I should say something.

Welcome to the boards. Don't judge people so quickly since the boards are made up of all sorts of comic book people. I'd say a majority of books purchased on the boards are not destined for that persons collection but what a person does with the books after a purchase is up to them.

Welcome to the boards. Don't judge people so quickly since the boards are made up of all sorts of comic book people. I'd say a majority of books purchased on the boards are not destined for that persons collection but what a person does with the books after a purchase is up to them.

I agree that what someone does with a book is their own business BUT theres no reason to ever call out a seller for being dishonest just because you weren't the first one to buy.

I agree that what someone does with a book is their own business BUT theres no reason to ever call out a seller for being dishonest just because you weren't the first one to buy.

(thumbs u 100% agree

Not to derail the thread (seems closed anyway) but the boards are a little bit outside the "collecting norms" here. On a lot of collecting sites buying to resell is looked down upon by many of the collectors. The term scalper comes to mind with action figures.This site is different as there are many resellers and comic book store owners here so buying to flip is considered acceptable.

It's not outside the norm to see someone swoop up 3-4 of the same comic book offered to flip and it's accepted.

My advice is use the WTB section. There are many great resellers and comic book owners here. They know comics and how to grade comics (which I am not very good at) and usually have great prices. This isn't to say you can't get lucky and get good comics here but as far as resellers go the guys here are typically top notch.

My advice is use the WTB section. There are many great resellers and comic book owners here. They know comics and how to grade comics (which I am not very good at) and usually have great prices. This isn't to say you can't get lucky and get good comics here but as far as resellers go the guys here are typically top notch.

I find this funny as the one who just chimed in earlier had a post on the WTB thread. I sent him a pm with the book, grades and prices wanna know what his response was give you a hint it is my next line of text:

Its funny how some people think that buying a comic for the 'love of comics' is somehow more noble than buying a comic to make money and feed your family.

I'm not sure if people realize this, but that can sound TERRIBLY condescending. Congrats to the noblemen here on having enough money so you don't have to have to debase yourself to buying an item and then selling it for a higher price.

But more on the actual issue, OP seems very nice to not get P-O'd about basically an accusation against his integrity.

Also highlights that maybe people should spelled out their thread rules a little more clearly.

Its funny how some people think that buying a comic for the 'love of comics' is somehow more noble than buying a comic to make money and feed your family.

I love selling comics, would that entitle me to either further discounts or exclusive offers that are not available to people who just "love" comics?

I am so glad I missed this. I've zinged my fair share of Board Steal of a Deals and sellers always came through. I feel sorry for the first poster. OP needs to spell out his rules a bit better.

I agree wholeheartedly, in that I'm also in for the collecting aspect. So these boards are often frustrating (but also very interesting!) due to the large number of high rollers/resellers. I just buy a book here and there (just bought a DD #1 last week!) and otherwise hardly participate. I don't judge those that make this their business, although it does inevitably make it harder for the hobbyists. But then again, maybe I just need to collect something cheaper? :)

Also, just to be clear, I never called out the seller (except to ask about my misunderstanding of the general rules) nor did I doubt his honesty. I don't imagine the guy asking about the timestamp was either - he was probably just amazed at the timing.

To be fair, Revat, you must agree it is different when you are buying chiefly for the interest on the book, and when you are grabbing deals with the intention to resell. It’s not a question of being noble, rather of buying for one’s own collection or to make money. They can co-exist, but basically if I have the money and no interest in reselling, I am buying only for the book, and happy with that.

The fact that the US comic book market has became so competitive prompted more and more people to buy and resell, but if the prices weren’t so high on many books, we probably would see just people collecting, and have a few established dealers selling comics as a job for a living.

To be fair, Revat, you must agree it is different when you are buying chiefly for the interest on the book, and when you are grabbing deals with the intention to resell. Its not a question of being noble, rather of buying for ones own collection or to make money. They can co-exist, but basically if I have the money and no interest in reselling, I am buying only for the book, and happy with that.

The fact that the US comic book market has became so competitive prompted more and more people to buy and resell, but if the prices werent so high on many books, we probably would see just people collecting, and have a few established dealers selling comics as a job for a living.

I don't disagree with you on that, just that some people mentioning 'the nobleness of collecting vs flipping' in a thread like this like it seems to serve no purpose other than to condescend. Especially as it pertains to comics, people should buy and sell whichever comics they want for whatever reasons they want, everyone has different preferences, but that doesn't make someone's intention's better than another.

If the market acts in a way that a person can't achieve their comic goals, so be it, if its hobby for you then you'll probably survive, if your business is comics then maybe it shouldn't be. Nature (and the market) has a way of sorting this stuff out without the judgment.

Come on

Where's arguing about a Marvel?

I give up. Where? (shrug)

Is this a riddle?

I find this funny as the one who just chimed in earlier had a post on the WTB thread. I sent him a pm with the book, grades and prices wanna know what his response was give you a hint it is my next line of text:

You gotta love those "responses"... I don't think there is anything more annoying :boo: