• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the most you have ever paid for a comic?

129 posts in this topic

People who buy comics....still....should be very grateful that you're not into coins or fine art or other such high roller stuff.

While there are maybe 100 $100,000+ comics that exist(Rob React could tell you more), there are 50-60 MILLION dollar+ coins...and maybe 200-400 $10,000,000+ paintings.

It's still possible for a middle class collector to assemble a complete set of Action or Detective in reasonable condition over a period of 10-20 years or so. The real stoppers are #1 and #27. The rest can be had for 3-4-low 5 figure prices, in "VG" condition. And, if you are dedicated and work hard, you can put $75,000 into a decent restored 3.0 copy of the big boys.

It's not outside the realm of possible for most middle class collectors.

It is not possible to own a complete set of US coins anymore, and definitely not for anyone with a net worth less than $100,000,000.

And forget owning a Picasso oil.

Epeen deployed.

People who buy comics....still....should be very grateful that you're not into coins or fine art or other such high roller stuff.

While there are maybe 100 $100,000+ comics that exist(Rob React could tell you more), there are 50-60 MILLION dollar+ coins...and maybe 200-400 $10,000,000+ paintings.

It's still possible for a middle class collector to assemble a complete set of Action or Detective in reasonable condition over a period of 10-20 years or so. The real stoppers are #1 and #27. The rest can be had for 3-4-low 5 figure prices, in "VG" condition. And, if you are dedicated and work hard, you can put $75,000 into a decent restored 3.0 copy of the big boys.

It is not possible to own a complete set of US coins anymore, and definitely not for anyone with a net worth less than $100,000,000.

Epeen deployed.

Damn straight.

:sumo:

:tonofbricks:

(He's pooping bricks!)

Seriously though, didn't realize coins were that expensive. I knew they were in a higher tier than comics, but I didn't realize it was that much higher.

I set a limit of $2,000 on every book...but that is slowly changing.

Up or down? hm

It's going up much to my own dismay and surprise. However, I may have to start a new cap say $3,000-$5,000 per book in CGC 9.2 or better. This is mainly due to wanting a TMNT 1 in 9.2. I don't consider comic books a good long term investment (especially for post 1969 books; aside from a few major keys). I can't see spending the same amount on a comic book that I would spend on say a rare antique or historical artifact. The sky is the limit on those kinds of items, but for pop culture based collectibles it has to be much, much less (just my opinion). Though I really wish I would have bought that Hulk 1 in 9.2 many years ago when I had the chance.

Some of us do collect coins and currency as well (I am sure you know that as I know you post in other forums). All said and done I collect within one hundred or more individual categories across the spectrum of antiques and collectibles. As I said before I see many other antiques and collectible categories that show much better growth potential than comic books. This is one reason why I am so glad I am near completion of my comic book collection. Comc books seem so overvalued right now due to all the movie hype and speculation that has taken hold.

Edited to add: But I still collect due to love of the medium and art form.

Great point on the comics v coins v painting.

The most I've spent on a single issue is I believe $500, but I did that over 2 months. My ASM 121 9.0. As of right now, thats my most cherised comic, my most cherished collectible I got for FREE! Jim Lee SDCC exclusive sketch, that 50for50 he just did. Won it the last day and it was my favorite character in all of comics....Wonder Woman :cloud9: