• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AVENGERS #189

21 posts in this topic

While going through a box of comics I picked up awhile back,

I ran across three copies of AVENGERS #189...it's a very

interesting book.

14687079456_c197f6d270.jpg

mm

If I recall correctly, it’s slightly after Gyrich manages to have the Avengers somewhat disbanded, with the pretense the government does not feel secure, as there have been too many members in the current line up.

Among those discarded there is Hawkeye, which while wandering through the city with very few money in his pocket, he stumbles by chance in the Absorbing Man, which bursts out in a bar, and this eventually leads to the following Absorbing Man storyline, which is awesome as most of the stories written by David Michelinie in that period. :cloud9:

If I recall correctly, it’s slightly after Gyrich manages to have the Avengers somewhat disbanded, with the pretense the government does not feel secure, as there have been too many members in the current line up.

Among those discarded there is Hawkeye, which while wandering through the city with very few money in his pocket, he stumbles by chance in the Absorbing Man, which bursts out in a bar, and this eventually leads to the following Absorbing Man storyline, which is awesome as most of the stories written by David Michelinie in that period. :cloud9:

Yes, And Falcon gets "drafted" into the Avengers against his will in affirmative action-esque move to diversify the Avengers. Falcon hated it at first (a couple of Avengers including Hawkeye was not pleased with this), until Cap talks him into joining.

Sorry, I have made confusion with the previous Crusher Creel storyline: Hawkeye wanders the city after he’s been put "off service" and yes, it’s Deathbird. :)

Still, great stories which shows how such a topic (government making inference in personal lives of super-heroes) should be handled. What they did with "Civil War" was constrained and unlikely, just the fact that mutants have been suspected for years, and now all of a sudden all superheroes have to "register". And I won’t even go into how little Bendis and friends showed to know (and possibly love) the characters: Spider-Man, Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, all misrepresented and reduced to poor clichés…

I wrote a letter to the editor, many, many years later, regarding this issue, which was published in the lettercolumn in issue #353.

#189 has a fairly infamous moment where, after he's defeated Deathbird and she's been restrained, Hawkeye decides to give his captive a big open mouthed kiss. Not exactly a PC move these days. Deathbird flips out and vows vengeance.

Cut to a dozen or so years later, during Operation: Galactic Storm (around #347), Clint - who is in his Goliath identity for the duration of this storyline - teams up with Deathbird to fight the Kree. There's no mention of the events of #189.

I wrote in and asked why this was and they said she just didn't recognize him since he was a giant.

hm

It’s so infamous that I barely noticed it… lol

Kidding apart, now that you tell me I remember it: well, if Spidey kissed Jean Grey in Marvel Team-Up #4 (but we know: Spidey is classy!) I guess Hawkeye did not mean disrespect, let alone to harass her. ;)

Kidding apart, now that you tell me I remember it: well, if Spidey kissed Jean Grey in Marvel Team-Up #4 (but we know: Spidey is classy!) I guess Hawkeye did not mean disrespect, let alone to harass her. ;)

Oh, I think he meant to harass her. ;)

I love Hawkeye, but he's such a smug a-hole in this scene. Even the security guards helping him have to literally facepalm at what an insufferable jerk he's being. lol

A189_End2.jpg

Ahhh, 1979 Marvel...

When John Byrne was drawing the X-Men, the Avengers, AND the FF, all at the same time.

I mean, seriously, was there ever a better time to be a Marvel fan...?

:cloud9:

Not sure if I should favor 1979 over – say – 1977 or 1976.

In some ways I have this impression that Jim Shooter’s tenure as editor-in-chief was one of the elements which in hindsight would have contributed to Marvel’s disgregation. It was a complex time, and this should be studied better, but I would favor most of the previous editors.

I love Hawkeye, but he's such a smug a-hole in this scene. Even the security guards helping him have to literally facepalm at what an insufferable jerk he's being. lol

A189_End2.jpg

He’s just playing the "Don Giovanni" or whatever… much into his character, but he would have never done it in that way to Deathbird if she wasn’t a villain, IMO. :)

This is obviously meant as a "punishment" more than a kiss, as he knew Deathbird would not have taken it in a pleasant way.

Ahhh, 1979 Marvel...

When John Byrne was drawing the X-Men, the Avengers, AND the FF, all at the same time.

One of my personal favorite Marvel periods for sure :luhv:

A189_End2.jpg

He’s just playing the "Don Giovanni" or whatever… much into his character, but he would have never done it in that way to Deathbird if she wasn’t a villain, IMO. :)

This is obviously meant as a "punishment" more than a kiss, as he knew Deathbird would not have taken it in a pleasant way.

You've obviously forgotten how he pulled a very similar move on Valkyrie in an early Defenders issue. As I remember it, Val took a swing at Hawkeye with her sword after that and then mused to herself that she didn't really dislike it (or something along those lines).

I wrote a letter to the editor, many, many years later, regarding this issue, which was published in the lettercolumn in issue #353.

#189 has a fairly infamous moment where, after he's defeated Deathbird and she's been restrained, Hawkeye decides to give his captive a big open mouthed kiss. Not exactly a PC move these days. Deathbird flips out and vows vengeance.

Cut to a dozen or so years later, during Operation: Galactic Storm (around #347), Clint - who is in his Goliath identity for the duration of this storyline - teams up with Deathbird to fight the Kree. There's no mention of the events of #189.

I wrote in and asked why this was and they said she just didn't recognize him since he was a giant.

hm

I remember reading your letter when it was printed. :applause:

You've obviously forgotten how he pulled a very similar move on Valkyrie in an early Defenders issue. As I remember it, Val took a swing at Hawkeye with her sword after that and then mused to herself that she didn't really dislike it (or something along those lines).

Well, this just shows he was indeed a "Don Giovanni"… :D

Seriously, these things did not qualify him as a "jerk" – Hawkeye has had his character since first introduced in the Avengers: if anything, he just improved with time passing, but nothing to be surprised about. :)

Well, this just shows he was indeed a "Don Giovanni"… :D

Seriously, these things did not qualify him as a "jerk" – Hawkeye has had his character since first introduced in the Avengers: if anything, he just improved with time passing, but nothing to be surprised about. :)

I've been a fan of Hawkeye for decades, one of the reasons why I have him as my avatar.

He's a larger than life comic book character as are most of them. However, if someone behaved as he has done in real life, make no mistake, to me he would be a colossal jerk.

Ahhh, 1979 Marvel...

78/79 is what turned me off to Marvel. I think they peaked in the 74-76 era and were going down in the 78/79 era, before rebounding in the early 80s.

Everyone has a different era. I'm sure the folks just a bit older than me swear by 65-68, but I wan't reading them on a steady basis so most issues left me either confused or with a cliffhanger ending I wouldn't get the next issue to.

Ahhh, 1979 Marvel...

My favorite Artist :applause: