• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pontoon's Boston Comic Con Report 2014

71 posts in this topic

Did I mention it was crazy busy for me? I remained personable throughout, despite having to tell a dozens of folks “No, we don’t sell single poly bags.”

Oh no... I was part of the problem on that one...I had to mooch a couple from GACollectibles personal stock! Valiant Entertainment had a number of things I wanted to keep in good shape.

Seriously, knowing that about the bags/boards it would be a good idea to have a couple hundred on hand - but then again I'm not sure it is worth it charging a quarter and having to make change all day. Maybe sell them in $1 batches?

I do not have enough pics to warrant a report so I will just glom on to this one....

I worked the Toon Tumbler Booth all day Sunday and am still recovering today, Tuesday. Place was very crowded. I could not pack glasses fast enough. If I wasn't making a sale I was getting bags ready for the next wave.

The new line of DC bombshell glasses were a huge hit, especially with the female cosplayers, and I got a chance to chat with a few of them. We had a ton of glasses back in stock that we have not seen for 3,4,5 years so the variety was overwhelming.

On a pop culture front, the show was hopping, not so confident it was hopping on the bronze-silver-gold front. Plenty of books in the room, but the prices scared me a bit on what I saw...talked to a few too many dealers who were using the guide in all grades. What makes that worse is the cursory grading I encountered.

I always did spectacular at the show when I was setting up with books, but I always priced with little regard for the guide outside of high grade. Maybe this is why I have no books left... :-) You did not need to be a hardcore comic fan to pick up some $0.25-$0.35 bronze at $1,$2,$3 each.... but you pretty much do to pick it up for $8 each.

Maybe I am just jealous and wishing I was set up in that room. It was definitely a show where you wanted to be behind a table. The promoter, Bedrock Comics in Framingham, cannot receive enough Kudos for what has happened with comics in Boston. If it was not for him I believe we would still be on the 6th floor of 57 Hotel with the same 500 people coming to every show. I don't know the numbers exactly but I have to believe that attendance easily topped 30,000 people for this show.

Ooh, I dug up one cosplay pic... I am a huge Zelda fan so...

IMG_20140810_131830274.jpg

These are Skyward Sword based costumes. The guy in the middle was Link's enemy early in the game since he was smitten with Zelda, but comes to be his ally by the time it's all over. Wish I could remember his name!

IMG_20140810_131819431.jpg

Had a great flower bomb!

Pontoon, GACollectibles, comicartfan, Swick and other board members attending BCC: Let's be more organized next year and all go out to lunch or dinner. It would be great to meet more boardies!

Yeah, I learned this year that if I plan to meet with people from the boards, I should probably find out who they are and what they look like. lol

I didn't initially think I would be able to meet up with anyone, as a friend of mine came in from New York for the weekend. So I didn't pay much attention to the plans in the "events" forum. But he bailed early, so I figured I'd try and crash Ryan's "lunch." That's when I realized I don't know which dealers are boardies or who they are or any of that stuff. Turns out asking every stranger with a camera whether they are Harvey Swick is not a viable strategy.

The new line of DC bombshell glasses were a huge hit

My friend and I stopped at your booth just to look at these glasses. He was like, "$10 seems like a lot for a glass." To which I said, "look at those cool bombshell glasses, though! Just think, you buy that and you could be drinking nectar from Harley Quinn's sweet lips for the rest of your life. $10 is a pittance to pay for that."

If it was not for him I believe we would still be on the 6th floor of 57 Hotel with the same 500 people coming to every show. I don't know the numbers exactly but I have to believe that attendance easily topped 30,000 people for this show.

I loved those shows! You're right, though. It's amazing to think just five years ago we were up in those hotel rooms, with just a handful of hardcore fans. Crazy how huge things have gotten since then.

I have a photo somewhere that I took on Saturday of the line to buy tickets, stretching down the street, around the corner and all down the side of the building. The crazy thing is, I took the photo at 3:30 in the afternoon. There were so many people coming to the show the line never ended; people were arriving as fast as they could sell them tickets, even 5 and a half hours after it opened. It's absolutely insane.