• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bar + Comic Store...What do you Think?

55 posts in this topic

May sound cool, but would you really make a lot of money? The comics would take up more space than their worth. Random impulse buy wouldn't offset the rental cost.

Isn't the way to make good money to bring in women? A comic shop/bar isn't going to bring them in droves.

A super hero themed bar with some wall comics and a display case of them maybe, but a true combo of comic shop/bar sounds like a recipe for a massive fail.

I agree,wouldn't you get alot of ripped up comics from drunks?

A super hero themed bar with some wall comics and a display case of them maybe, but a true combo of comic shop/bar sounds like a recipe for a massive fail.

I was actually working on opening a superheroes themed bar , to be called Heroes, when September 11th happened. After that, it seemed a bit disrespectful, so we named it Druids instead.

I was actually working on opening a superheroes themed bar , to be called Heroes, when September 11th happened. After that, it seemed a bit disrespectful, so we named it Druids instead.

I think done right it could be a big success, especially with the popularity of all the recent superhero movies in the last few years.

You could have cosplay nights, comic book nights, etc.....

With wall books and a display case you don't have to worry about a bunch of drunks pawing over your books, but yet you still have them out where people can see them, and if they want to seriously talk about purchasing some, you could take them down/out and show them, or direct them to your comic website for the full list of books that are available.

But for the most part it's a superhero themed bar, as VS a true comic book shop bar combo.

I think by doing so you somewhat alienate those underage from purchasing comics. Comics should be made available to readers of all ages.

Even if you made a comic shop that had after hours midnight release parties with alcohol served, that'd be something as soon as everyone bought their comics and drove away from your shop - legal liabilities.

I think a themed bar is appropriate, but mixing the 2, I don't see the blend.

There was a gay bar in The Village that used to promote a cosplay night in the Village Voice. Was a bit curious to see it, but not that curious.

Before the internet exploded, there was a place called the auction Cafe on long island. It was a bar located in an office park that lined its walls with baseball cards,posters, hi end comics and original art. You could bid on the stuff on the walls and every month they changed the inventory completely.

It closed down after a few months. The owner said they were moving to a bigger space but it never reopened.

I think a comic shop + dispensary would be a grand slam home run!!

"The New 420"

lol That's actually pretty good.

I also think that idea is infinitely better than the bar idea.

Here in NJ there is a comic book coffee shop in Asbury Park nj. Plan on going soon to visit.

https://www.facebook.com/ComicCryptCafe

Looks like it's closing.

Oh boy I haven't read the page in a few weeks. They are closing. Guess I will not be getting there in a few weeks. Thanks for the heads up.

Perhaps the concept is not sound or they just didn't execute well.

I do like the idea of combining a comic store with something else. If I won the lottery I'd consider opening a store that features my favorite things. Comics new and old, classic video games from the 80s like Pacman and foozeball tables - all things that I wasted a lot of time with.

Foozeball huh? I will pimp slap you on my table in the basement if you ever make it out this way :sumo:

You're on. I'm rusty but would love to start playing again. Love the old brown tops.