• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More eBay changes, now on returns

79 posts in this topic

Wow they are REALLY going heavy in favor of buyers. I would not want to be a eBay seller starting in October :(

This has got to be a shift in what their target market must be. I'm thinking Amazon's structure has some pretty big influence on the changes we are seeing.

Returns on Amazon are practically seamless. My wife and I have Prime, and every now and again, we've got to do a return, and it's pretty much automated from what I have seen.

Granted, all of the Prime merchandise are from larger retailers that can handle automated returns, I think Ebay is going to try forcing that concept on smaller guys, which I think sucks.

I also think it's aimed at people who sell brand new retail widgets and not used things like comics, so casual sellers are just ignored in their grand plans.

Yeah my thinking too.

I cant switch to Amazon though for comic buying as my experiences there have been much worse then ebay. I buy and just hope it gets here with some packing there is no way I would every buy a decent book on that site.

Id like to think this would be like evolution, but that would be wishfull thinking.

All the sellers that don't accept returns are going to get hammered.

The 1 hour time frame is just plain stupid. Its helps buyer remorse its all it does.

I agree but I'm betting most sellers will opt out of returns so I believe that a no return policy could become the norm. I have returned books 1 time in over 1700 purchases. I don't expect to have to return books. I check their feedback and purchase accordingly.

With the one hour timeframe for cancellations I can see all kinds of stupidity becoming the norm. It could really be a killer on unique items like OA where the price isn't set in stone - want to find out what it's worth? Bid a million dollars and win it, then decide if you like the price.

All I see is a lot of inflated prices on completed auctions that no one has actually paid for.

They've been recording phone calls for years. In some States it's illegal to record unless you advise the other person. I think this is just a catch all way of advising everyone without having to do it individually.

That's the LEAST thing I'm worried about lol.

The 3 month return thing, the forced shipping, the forced returns, access to my bank account ...that stuff concerns me.

But they can record anything, it's for my protection too.

Just don't do any unusual rap songs and you'll be fine;) Just do the regular ones;) they'll be impressed.

But I'd skip your feelings about Dads;)

Sorry. I guess I'm more wondering why they only started recording the calls now.

Anyone who has had a problem with ebay knows they usually have to phone numerous times and the customer service on the phone is sometimes shotty at best, its improved recently though. Just seems like its really dumb to implement now and not ten years ago. I always assumed they were recording.

That's what I'm trying to tell you. They HAVE been recording for years. There was a message saying "this call may be recorded". They were recording. They are just telling people in written form. I think it's just another way of having back up for people who protest they were recorded.

It depends on the State. In some States (NY) if you are part of the conversation and are recording someone, you don't have to tell the other person (unless they changed those rules). In some other States you do have to advise both parties before recording. So eBay is publishing the rules so they can say you have been informed.

The recording is not new. The written notice might be new, but I doubt it. It was probably in some old updates and you missed it. Or maybe they have different ones in Canada. These are US rules.

You say these are US rules, but I got the email from ebay too...

So US laws ok, but the written thing read to me like they were saying it was a new thing. But that could be my poor reading comprehension.

Could be that, or they hide the stuff in reams of gobbledygook so most people miss it. I'm sure it's not just you.

100% pos FB, 0 low rankings in communication or shipping, 1 low ranking in item as described out of 63, no cases and I'm at STANDARD in ebay's performance rating.

My god what do you have to do to rate above standard or outstanding??????

:gossip:

Don't worry, it gets harder on the 20th of this month. :)

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2014/sellerstandards.html

Just read through that. Can't believe there are people at eBay whose job it is to think up all this baloney.

EBAY DOES NOTHING. They don't have goods and they don't deliver goods. So all they do is count money and come up with rules.

This is so true!!!

Wow they are REALLY going heavy in favor of buyers. I would not want to be a eBay seller starting in October :(

This has got to be a shift in what their target market must be. I'm thinking Amazon's structure has some pretty big influence on the changes we are seeing.

Returns on Amazon are practically seamless. My wife and I have Prime, and every now and again, we've got to do a return, and it's pretty much automated from what I have seen.

Granted, all of the Prime merchandise are from larger retailers that can handle automated returns, I think Ebay is going to try forcing that concept on smaller guys, which I think sucks.

I also think it's aimed at people who sell brand new retail widgets and not used things like comics, so casual sellers are just ignored in their grand plans.

What I hate about this is casual sellers have some of the best stuff.

So US laws ok, but the written thing read to me like they were saying it was a new thing. But that could be my poor reading comprehension.

Could be that, or they hide the stuff in reams of gobbledygook so most people miss it. I'm sure it's not just you.

Was it just a year or so ago that E-Bay rather arbitrarily cut loose 15,000 sellers deemed to have an inadequate seller rating. Going way back a seller cannot leave negative feedback to a buyer. Now might be a good time to reinstate that rule. If a buyer takes advantage and "wins" a lot of $10 and under sales, then is dissatisfied and demands a refund. The buyer would then naturally skip returning the item. The seller could in turn post negative feedback & add that buyer to their blocked seller list.

This might lead some entrepreneurial type to start a site for disgruntled sellers to share their blocked buyers list, for a small fee of course. :devil:

What this will lead to IMHO is that $10.01 auctions will replace the $0.99 auction as the ground floor for E-Bay.

I guarantee you that there are NO returns on this item. These are custom designed instructions in LDraw/pdf format.

I'd like to make a bet with you that I can purchase that item and after receiving it return it to you for a full refund. Whether through eBay or Paypal's claim process, you'll be forced to take it back and refund my money. Yes, I know it's an electronic file. :)

Peace,

Chip

Hi Chip this what I do know I had a buyer buy a a Hulk 181 CGC 8.5 Qualified and my policy is No returns and No refunds so he filed a Paypal chargeback and I won even though he returned the book as I guess he thought he was buying a Universal Label and found it wasn't I eventually did lose to a credit card chargeback thru paypal but it is the 2nd return I have had really and the last one before was a slight hair crack on a Iron Man 50 CGC 9.4 which I recieved from CGC that way but I refunded his money as he was correct! However with these new rules I am unsure but hey Ebay still is giving me the right to No returns or refunds Yes , No? I dont really sell 10 books so that won't be a problem for me so i guess we will see how it turns out.

David

Davidking623

Let me explain to you how this can be exploited.

Okay... say I am participating in a straight auction for say Amazing Spider-man 50. I see that 24 people are watching a particular issue for listed at a BIN for $1000. I see another copy in the same grade that is on auction. So what I do is participate in the auction. I wait until there is a half hour until the auction closes. With a half an hour remaining I hit the BIN. I then participate in the auction anyway. I place a final bid in that is cheaper than the BIN for the copy I just bought.

Even if I am the winning bidder, I got the book for less than the BIN and I have enough time to cancel the BIN purchase as an hour has not elapsed.

yeah, sounds like a great plan. Let the dumping begin.

Quick question, since this happened to me recently: How is this different from a buyer currently making a bunch of offers on the same exact book and only paying for the best accepted offer or first accepted offer?

Because in this case, eBay allows it to happen within an hour without consequence. I believe that the word used was 'cancellation' not a NPB. The buyer may cancel their purchase.

Surprisingly this does not bother me really in the least as a buyer could change his mind within a hour and he does not make himself a headache for me down the road as I see him as a headache without further ado would be put on my list of buyers that won't buy from me again.also personally the more people that drop out of Ebay selling does make for another chance for more sales for me :devil::roflmao:

David

Davidking623

Was it just a year or so ago that E-Bay rather arbitrarily cut loose 15,000 sellers deemed to have an inadequate seller rating. Going way back a seller cannot leave negative feedback to a buyer. Now might be a good time to reinstate that rule. If a buyer takes advantage and "wins" a lot of $10 and under sales, then is dissatisfied and demands a refund. The buyer would then naturally skip returning the item. The seller could in turn post negative feedback & add that buyer to their blocked seller list.

This might lead some entrepreneurial type to start a site for disgruntled sellers to share their blocked buyers list, for a small fee of course. :devil:

What this will lead to IMHO is that $10.01 auctions will replace the $0.99 auction as the ground floor for E-Bay.

They have no other recourse, as to supply free goods is bad business!!

David

Davidking623

They have no other recourse, as to supply free goods is bad business!!

David

Davidking623

The day of the smaller dollar auctions are drawing to an end. :(

Of more concern is the one hour window for buyers remorse to kick in. Think of it, you think your listing has sold and 10 minutes after the sale you find out the buyer has reneged on the deal. This could have more ominous tones. Say for example the bidder/canceller had an auction for the same item, but his/her auction was ending anywhere from a few minutes later to a day or so later than yours. Their action of messing with your auction could benefit their auction, due to less competition. Of course this would only work with hard to find and or rare books, and could lead to retaliation by the person who's auction they messed with. One wonders how much "thought" went into these new rules. meh