• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Northern Lights Brighten Heritage Comics!

54 posts in this topic

And if this collection was the end result of $1 million spent on High Grade books, why in the world does every label have a "New" label..... none of those books have the old label. I've collected a lot of High Grade books, and most of my books have the "old" label.........does this mean they've been cracked open and re-graded from some strange reason ? Hmmmmmmmmm 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

news.gif The Spidey 1 9.4 is an old label...but don't let the facts get in the way of your campaign! news.gif

The truth is that Heritage found the books, bought them from someone for cheap. Pressed them from mid-grade "junk" to a high grade pedigree-worthy collection.

Who knows about Heritage....

But after cracking the slabs on a number of books bought from MH, I'm confident they are in the pressing business. The comics are too flat and have a stiffness uniform throughout the comics whether they are MH2 or not. It's not normal...

Jim

The truth is that Heritage found the books, bought them from someone for cheap. Pressed them from mid-grade "junk" to a high grade pedigree-worthy collection.

Who knows about Heritage....

But after cracking the slabs on a number of books bought from MH, I'm confident they are in the pressing business. The comics are too flat and have a stiffness uniform throughout the comics whether they are MH2 or not. It's not normal...

Jim

Jim-

You are kidding, right? If not, you really do not know enough about comics or how MH runs their business. They run it on volume, buying cheap, selling high, and QUICK TURN OF INVENTORY. Proper pressing takes way too long for it to be profitable for them on lower value books and those MH2 books are sweet. Have you ever owned a Church/Mile High, San Francisco, or Pacific Coast book? They have a stiffness that is also uniform. And FYI, pressing a comic, does not make it "stiff".

If you were kidding, sorry sorry.gif

No Steve...I'm dead serious. I'll post some scans of the comics shortly after Christmas.

And by stiffness, I mean they don't lay right...some of the suppleness is gone in favor of rigidity. Again if this was just one comic, I'd blow it off but it's uniform across all the comics whether they are MH2s or not. And boy they are some flat comics. As an example, I've bought Bronze comics off of CM that were stacked and never distributed and look as good as the day they were sold. They always exhibited suppliness and a slight roll at the spine. The unslabbed comics have absolutely flat spines...as if something has pressed them flat.

I wouldn't have noticed this unless I had taken the comic out of their slabs...

And as far as not being enough time...RJ says on his website he can prep a comic for you all in 15 minutes...

Jim

Mile High is not in the comics pressing business.

Yer darned tootin'! No way MH is in the pressing business.

Even with all their manpower and Chuck's heroic 24/7 efforts, at this time, they have their hands full just being the world leader in the comics overgrading and poor customer service businesses to break into a new business venture like pressing..

Shame on you!

What is the explanation for the pancaked appearance and feel of the comics when taken out of the slab? And these are uniform over all the comics I've unslabbed not just one you could attribute to a particular collection i.e. MH2...

I'm not making this stuff up...I've unslabbed a number of non-Mile High acquired comics as well that don't have the same attributes... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If someone could come up with a credible explanation...I'd be more than happy to quiet down. I happen to like Chuck as a person and listen when the guy talks. Sure he can get overblown at times but I do think his heart is in the right place in regards to this hobby...

Jim

No, I think what your thinking is probably correct. Simpliest explanation is usually true, and I think you've hit this one on the head.

What is the explanation for the pancaked appearance and feel of the comics when taken out of the slab? And these are uniform over all the comics I've unslabbed not just one you could attribute to a particular collection i.e. MH2...

I'm not making this stuff up...I've unslabbed a number of non-Mile High acquired comics as well that don't have the same attributes... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If someone could come up with a credible explanation...I'd be more than happy to quiet down. I happen to like Chuck as a person and listen when the guy talks. Sure he can get overblown at times but I do think his heart is in the right place in regards to this hobby...

Jim

Jim

If it is, indeed, the case that MH2 books are flattened, then the most likely reason would be in the way they were stored for many years. As discussed often on these boards, storage in large and heavy stacks tends to keep books looking fresh and flat, but may also take away a little of the "fluffiness" of an otherwise high grade copy. Given that the MH2 is a warehouse find, heavy stacking of the books is a real and not very insidious possibility.

Given that the MH2 is a warehouse find, heavy stacking of the books is a real and not very insidious possibility.

As I've said before...it's not just the MH2 copies...

And thinking about it, it's amusing that Steve and others have come out so quickly denying MH pressing but have remained very quiet when others have been mentioned in the myriad of threads discussing the subject. If CGC can't detect pressing as they claim, how can they say for sure this or that dealer is or isn't pressing? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

If CGC can't detect pressing as they claim, how can they say for sure this or that dealer is or isn't pressing? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

As Aman said, the enormity of the Mile High inventory makes it an extraordinarily unlikely possibility that they tamper with their books.

Also, as for the flattening effect you are concerned with, perhaps this quote from the late, noted scientist Stephen J. Gould in his classic book "The Mismeasure of Man" says it best: "Believing is seeing".

As I've said before...it's not just the MH2 copies...

And thinking about it, it's amusing that Steve and others have come out so quickly denying MH pressing but have remained very quiet when others have been mentioned in the myriad of threads discussing the subject. If CGC can't detect pressing as they claim, how can they say for sure this or that dealer is or isn't pressing? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I can't comment on anyone else pressing books in the myriad threads on the subject. I prefer to give opinions on what I know about which is why I came to MH's defense. I've been there many times and watched as comics get pulled, wrapped and shipped off. I've seen the piles of comics stacked on top of each other 300 high (and more). I've seen the boxes (and secret rooms) with the CGC comics.

Maybe the "flatness" can be attributed to Colorados low humidity which sucks moisture out of the paper leaving them less "fluffy". My personal collection is that way and none of my comics have been intentionally pressed. wink.gif

Bumpety Bump Bump......

Since there are some books claiming to be Northern Lights popping up on ComicLink and because of our recent discussions of collections vs. pedigrees. In this case, no notation on the label....so how do you know what you're actually getting?

And are these really pressed books?