• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Word of warning on Media Mail shipping

64 posts in this topic

Media Mail cannot contain ads.

So I can understand modern books.

But I would argue that the ads for selling GRIT are no longer appliciple when shipping silver age books.

The funny thing about this is that old paperback books contain ads as well. I wish they would update the rules on this a bit.

The funny thing about this is that old paperback books contain ads as well. I wish they would update the rules on this a bit.

Even new mass market paperbacks still have ads for other books. I don't know what the difference is.

I use Media Mail all the time and (knock on wood) have had no problem. My problem lies in the slowness of the Chicago postal service, which is something altogether different.

So what is usually the best way to ship a couple of books for under $5?

You can easily ship 2 comic books via USPS First Class Mail for less than $4. I do it all the time using cardboard U-Line mailers. Just keep the package under 13 ounces.

+1 -- though I wish they would up that limit to 16 oz or more.

It's rough when you have 3 books to ship (in a box/package) and it hits 15 oz. Can't do First Class and shouldn't do Media Mail.

Priority is the next (sometimes only if you're using eBay) option and depending on where it's going (like a buyer I had in Hawaii), you get killed.

The problem is that Media Mail (previously known as "Book Rate") was never intended to be a low-cost delivery option for general merchandise or collectibles. It was implemented as a discounted rate for bulk educational materials (broadly defined) which were not being sent to, nor by, libraries, colleges, universities, etc. (which would instead qualify for Library Mail rates).

With millions of parcels passing through the system every day, obviously the PO can't inspect every Media Mail package. But it is inspecting SOME of them every day. So no matter how we may interpret the (long and complicated) Postal regulations regarding Media Mail, it's clear that at least some of the time comics are not making the cut, and that customers are receiving rifled packages and bills for postage due because of this.

So...you pays yer money and takes yer chances...

I have been snagged several times on the media mail situation. I never had a problem when I lived on the east coast (Florida) but since moving ot Arizona, they appear a bit more vigilant on opening up my stuff. I tape the living bejesus out of any package I send containing a magazine or comic -- but I might just stop using this service if this continues to be an issue. Of all the businesses in the world needing more items to handle, you would think the post office would get the stick out of their collective arse on this one.

Even new mass market paperbacks still have ads for other books. I don't know what the difference is.

I use Media Mail all the time and (knock on wood) have had no problem. My problem lies in the slowness of the Chicago postal service, which is something altogether different.

Most people use the shorthand of "no ads", when in fact I think the regs say something like, "no ads with the exception of other books".

I've posted this before, but here it is again, for what it's worth: the only official USPS statement I could find which specifically restricts comics from Media Mail shipments...

http://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard. Books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Section 170, Media Mail packages must have a delivery address and the sender’s return address and are subject to inspection by the Postal Service™. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage.

Thanks for the clarification.

My understanding is that several years ago, old comic books were allowable under Media Mail because the ads contained were defunct if the comic was 3-4 years or older. Same with magazines.

Still - can't get more crystal clear than that. I won't try shipping comics via Media Mail again.

Yeah I talked to the head guy at my PO and he said no to Comics. But I get them shipped to me from eBay sellers all the time.

Just yesterday in fact I received a comic from Midtown Comics sent Media Mail. So I don't understand the double standard but whatever.

I don't offer it anymore to buyers. First Class for 1-2 books is just as fast as Priority and cheap as Media Mail....

Elvis

I've posted this before, but here it is again, for what it's worth: the only official USPS statement I could find which specifically restricts comics from Media Mail shipments...

Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard. Books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Section 170, Media Mail packages must have a delivery address and the senders return address and are subject to inspection by the Postal Service. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage.

This is a notice, and is not contained in the DMM, which is the actual regulation book used by the USPS.

In other words, it's simply someone's opinion who works at the USPS, and is not codified. It's like a police officer saying the legal BA limit is .02. Until it's actually codified into law, it's meaningless, though coming from an authority figure.

Comic books with expired advertising material do not contain ads. They are, by definition, expired, and are therefore archival material, and fall under the definition for Media Mail.

I thought it was more interesting when a major comic auction house double boxed a package using USPS Priority boxes for the interior, a Fed Ex box for the exterior in order to ship an item via Fed Ex.

Comic books with expired advertising material do not contain ads. They are, by definition, expired, and are therefore archival material, and fall under the definition for Media Mail.

You and I might agree that comic books qualify for Media Mail; unfortunately, the Post Office doesn't care what we think, and doesn't always see it that way.

Different clerks/managers/postmasters/et al. are clearly applying different interpretations of the regs based upon the day of the week/the weather/the burrito they had for lunch/etc., etc., but it remains indisputably true that sending comic books via Media Mail can, and sometimes does, result in rifled packages, damaged goods, and postage-due charges for the recipient.

Once again...you and I may be able to convince our counter clerk that comic books do in fact qualify for Media Mail. But who will be there to convince the next link in the chain, when, for example, our package hits the distribution hub and gets flagged? Or gets pulled by a sorting clerk or floor manager? Or maybe even tagged by the local carrier?

The problem here isn't an academic debating point vis-a-vis the semantics of a government regulation (which I agree is a byzantine and contradictory mess); it's that in the real world the Post Office IS slicing open packages, and disallowing comic books when they find them...

Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard. Books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Section 170, Media Mail packages must have a delivery address and the senders return address and are subject to inspection by the Postal Service. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage.

This is a notice, and is not contained in the DMM, which is the actual regulation book used by the USPS.

In other words, it's simply someone's opinion who works at the USPS, and is not codified. It's like a police officer saying the legal BA limit is .02. Until it's actually codified into law, it's meaningless, though coming from an authority figure.

I just looked up Media Mail in the DMM. I haven't read this section before, but I think the rules they've outlined here would prevent comic books from qualifying. They make no mention of expiration, unfortunately.

4.0 Content Standards for Media Mail

4.1 Qualified Items

Only these items may be mailed at the Media Mail prices:

a. Books, including books issued to supplement other books, of at least eight printed pages, consisting wholly of reading matter or scholarly bibliography, or reading matter with incidental blank spaces for notations and containing no advertising matter other than incidental announcements of books. Advertising includes paid advertising and the publishers' own advertising in display, classified, or editorial style.

I just looked up Media Mail in the DMM. I haven't read this section before, but I think the rules they've outlined here would prevent comic books from qualifying. They make no mention of expiration, unfortunately.

4.0 Content Standards for Media Mail

4.1 Qualified Items

Only these items may be mailed at the Media Mail prices:

a. Books, including books issued to supplement other books, of at least eight printed pages, consisting wholly of reading matter or scholarly bibliography, or reading matter with incidental blank spaces for notations and containing no advertising matter other than incidental announcements of books. Advertising includes paid advertising and the publishers' own advertising in display, classified, or editorial style.

TO play devil's advocate...

This qualifies as media mail..

http://www.amazon.com/Coca-Cola-Girls-Advertising-Art-History/dp/1888054441

Coca Cola Advertising History.

Technically it is an book concerning the history of artistic representation of Coca Cola products. However, it could be construed as advertising albeit advertising that is no longer pertinent to today's ad campaigns for Coca Cola.

or is it... hm

TO play devil's advocate...

This qualifies as media mail..

http://www.amazon.com/Coca-Cola-Girls-Advertising-Art-History/dp/1888054441

Coca Cola Advertising History.

Technically it is an book concerning the history of artistic representation of Coca Cola products. However, it could be construed as advertising albeit advertising that is no longer pertinent to today's ad campaigns for Coca Cola.

or is it... hm

It's not a comic book, so of course it qualifies... :kidaround:

merely buy a bunch of cheap $1 books at a used book store. Slip your comics inside and VOILA

Worse that can happen with media mail is that it gets returned to you, so either the buyer or seller has to pay a few extra dollars on it.

No, the worst that can happen is some variation of what happened to the OP in this thread: the package is opened in transit and "inspected" by some ham-fisted postal clerk, and then you (i.e., the recipient) are asked to pay the extra postage due.

As I've mentioned before, my local postal clerk took a box cutter to one of my "Media Mail" packages AT THE SERVICE COUNTER with my wife standing right there.

That was 3 years ago. As this thread demonstrates, the situation clearly hasn't improved...

They are definitely cracking down on media mail. I saw it for myself when an enraged customer found out he was stuck with extra shipping charges after the package was inspected and found to be in non-compliance. Quite the scene at the local PO.

The specifically tell you that comics aren't considered media, for whatever reason.