• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Woman isn't good for women when she looks like this

385 posts in this topic

They definitely have an agenda on how women are portrayed in their publications, and their hiring practices. Fifty percent of the top selling graphic novels on the NYT bestseller list have female illustrators.

Marvel has about 1.7% female illustrators working for them.

NOt that that stat doesn't matter, but I would be A LOT more interested in this stat if I could see the stats on the last X number of artists hired, and the percentages of women applying for jobs as illustrators. What if it came out that only 0.5% of applicants are women ? What if HR and accounting departments are predominantly women? (as they happen to be in most major corporations/institutions) Is that sexist of me to notice that, even though its true? If most of my human employees are men, does it really make sense that my HR is mostly women? I must have some ulterior motive.

I'm not saying there isn't most likely a issue with sexism and/or diversity, or that working those things out wouldn't help, just that this cover and the stats you're referencing don't really stand out as strong arguments that Marvel is systematically mistreating women.

I disregard people with agendas. It blinds them.

I don't think this thread's even about women or portrayals or comics.

You can go back to the VOX article that started it all and sense an underlying vibe of gender-studies anti-straight white men, anti-corporation, anti-capitalism, anti-competition antisocial anarchist F-tha-man BS.

The wearing of oppression-beer-goggles, seeing it everywhere, until it's the paramount "fact" of existence. It's more about poisoning of the heart, anger and hatred toward "the other", under a guise of victimhood.

Imho.

You can go back to the VOX article that started it all and sense an underlying vibe of gender-studies anti-straight white men, anti-corporation, anti-capitalism, anti-competition antisocial anarchist F-tha-man BS.

The wearing of oppression-beer-goggles, seeing it everywhere, until it's the paramount "fact" of existence. It's more about poisoning of the heart, anger and hatred toward "the other", under a guise of victimhood.

Imho.

Yup

The women I've known who were very attractive reveled in it and were targets of a lot of bitterness by women that looked like Trina Robbins, cloaked in 'feminism'. True feminism would allow women to dress and be what they want-not create a rigid role model that everyone complies with.

I don't think Reina or Trina have the drawing style Marvel needs for majority of its books.

They definitely have an agenda on how women are portrayed in their publications, and their hiring practices. Fifty percent of the top selling graphic novels on the NYT bestseller list have female illustrators.

Marvel has about 1.7% female illustrators working for them.

NOt that that stat doesn't matter, but I would be A LOT more interested in this stat if I could see the stats on the last X number of artists hired, and the percentages of women applying for jobs as illustrators. What if it came out that only 0.5% of applicants are women ? What if HR and accounting departments are predominantly women? (as they happen to be in most major corporations/institutions) Is that sexist of me to notice that, even though its true? If most of my human employees are men, does it really make sense that my HR is mostly women? I must have some ulterior motive.

I'm not saying there isn't most likely a issue with sexism and/or diversity, or that working those things out wouldn't help, just that this cover and the stats you're referencing don't really stand out as strong arguments that Marvel is systematically mistreating women.

If that was the level of representation of female illustrators across the board, then maybe I could see it as a possibility. It's not though. Fantagraphics actually has more female illustrators than Marvel, with a fraction of Marvel's output.

Before the New 52 relaunch, DC's creator staff was 12 percent female. After the relaunch, one percent.

Imho.

The poor straight white man, when will he ever get a fair shake!

Fantagraphics has a wider range of styles they publish

Marvel is more narrow, the superhero style they are after and women dont tend to be interested in drawing that way

Imho.

Yup

The women I've known who were very attractive reveled in it and were targets of a lot of bitterness by women that looked like Trina Robbins, cloaked in 'feminism'. True feminism would allow women to dress and be what they want-not create a rigid role model that everyone complies with.

I don't think Reina or Trina have the drawing style Marvel needs for majority of its books.

If you don't like being treated like a dime store sex doll, you must be ugly!

and women dont tend to be interested in drawing that way
Why not I wonder?

Basically what you're saying is Fantagraphics sells more than just titty comics, and most women don't like titty comics. I agree. That's what I've been saying from the start.

Imho.

Yup

If you don't like being treated like a dime store sex doll, you must be ugly!

Oh these women are treated very well and men jump through hoops for them-they manipulate men easily and walk through life like royalty.

Why not I wonder?

Basically what you're saying is Fantagraphics sells more than just titty comics, and most women don't like titty comics. I agree. That's what I've been saying from the start.

Because men and women are different

Why not I wonder?

Because men and women are different

Because women tend to find these comics offensive.

Oh these women are treated very well and men jump through hoops for them-they manipulate men easily and walk through life like royalty.

Yeah, when will men be equal to women?

When will we have a male president? When will we earn as much?

Imho.

Yup

For what its worth, she's not as rigid as you think. She did help design Vampirella's costume.

Men and women each have their strengths. There is nothing wrong with that. Attractive women have power over men, unattractive women don't and pursue a more cerebral life. Some have resentment towards the attractive and couch it in feminism. A rich man can attract any number of attractive women. Intelligent, funny men also attract women. 'Intellectuals' do not. There's no use railing at the fairness of biology.

Imho.

Yup

For what its worth, she's not as rigid as you think. She did help design Vampirella's costume.

Ah ha! So it's all her fault!

Imho.

Yup

Ah ha! So it's all her fault!

:whee:

Men and women each have their strengths. There is nothing wrong with that. Attractive women have power over men, unattractive women don't and pursue a more cerebral life. Some have resentment towards the attractive and couch it in feminism. A rich man can attract any number of attractive women. Intelligent, funny men also attract women. 'Intellectuals' do not. There's no use railing at the fairness of biology.

This is 100% jibba jabba.

I had one GF who got in movies free, had her restaurant bills paid, got better seats at events, even got free car repair including major repairs. When I said wtf he's fixing your car for free?? she said 'oh he does that for everyone'....

She wasnt the sharpest knife but who needs brains when you have MIND CONTROL

Other women hated her. One time I was with her in a restaurant and some skag started throwing cream cup packets at her.

This is 100% jibba jabba.

Men and women dont have separate strengths?

Attractive women have no power over men?

Unattractive women dont sometimes harbor resentment?

Rich men cant attract women?

Intelligent funny men cant either?

What exactly is jibba jabba here?