• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The (NG) grade for coverless books

28 posts in this topic

I have a coverless Action Comics #14 CGC graded 0.5, one of only 3 (0.5's).Two of which are Blue label and mine is one of them.

My problem is with the current (NG) grade for coverless books.To me it sends the message that the insides of a comic are (almost) worthless and the largest value of a book is only the cover.

(NG) grades do not make the CGC census.No future graded (coverless) Action Comics #14's will ever make the census list.Great for me I guess but it makes it hard for me to spend big cash on a book based only on it's cover value.

What do you think?

They should just grade them. Call it a "Coverless 8.5" or something like that.

An "NG" is not really getting the service that we pay for.

Isn't the service also to authenticate the book and a resto check?

Okay - so we're getting only part of the service we're paying for. I still like the idea of them actually grading it, since they're a "grading" company...

They should just grade them. Call it a "Coverless 8.5" or something like that.

An "NG" is not really getting the service that we pay for.

Isn't the service also to authenticate the book and a resto check?

Okay - so we're getting only part of the service we're paying for. I still like the idea of them actually grading it, since they're a "grading" company...

A PQ grade, absolutely. My concern is the current 0.5-10.0 system wouldn't be practical for coverless books. I'd have to know the grading criteria that would be used. I'd agree that all coverless books are not equal in terms of quality and/or appearance.

My concern is the current 0.5-10.0 system wouldn't be practical for coverless books.

And that's exactly why I suggested this:

I think instead of NG, coverless comics that are otherwise complete should be assigned a .3 grade like other companies are doing. :whistle:

My concern is the current 0.5-10.0 system wouldn't be practical for coverless books.

I think instead of NG, coverless comics that are otherwise complete should be assigned a .3 grade like other companies are doing. :whistle:
OK. Something like that along with a PQ designation makes sense. Now does this satisfy the concern the OP addressed?

What's the difference between .3 and NG? "Other sites" call it a .3 because the grade field in their database is numerical, not flexible enough to handle alpha characters, that's all.

What they should do is grade them on a 10-point scale as if it were complete, have a different color label and call it a "C-7.0" or whatever. "C" means Coverless.

What's the difference between .3 and NG? "Other sites" call it a .3 because the grade field in their database is numerical, not flexible enough to handle alpha characters, that's all.

What they should do is grade them on a 10-point scale as if it were complete, have a different color label and call it a "C-7.0" or whatever. "C" means Coverless.

The other company is assigning .3's for complete coverless copies because unlike NG's, it counts on the census and for registry points.

The other company is assigning .3's for complete coverless copies because unlike NG's, it counts on the census and for registry points.

Ah. But they could still call it NG and count it... doesn't matter if they call it .3, NG or John-Boy.

Wait - you mean they invented a new grade???

My guess is they took this easy way out - again, because their database doesn't support alphanumeric grades.

Ah. But they could still call it NG and count it... doesn't matter if they call it .3, NG or John-Boy.

My guess is they took this easy way out - again, because their database doesn't support alphanumeric grades.

No, because for coverless comics that are missing a wrap or two or more, they assign a .1, so a catch-all NG doesn't take into account how complete or incomplete the coverless comic is.

No, because for coverless comics that are missing a wrap or two or more, they assign a .1, so a catch-all NG doesn't take into account how complete or incomplete the coverless comic is.

If I'm reading this correctly, for census purposes there are different grades for coverless books, but the slab still reflects "NG"?

If I'm reading this correctly, for census purposes there are different grades for coverless books, but the slab still reflects "NG"?

CGC is still assigning NG grades for any coverless comic no matter how complete or incomplete it is. The other company assigns a .3 for complete coverless comics, and a .1 if they are missing a page or more. So CGC doesn't count NG's on their census, while the other company does since there is a .1 and .3 grade tier.

CGC is still assigning NG grades for any coverless comic no matter how complete or incomplete it is. The other company assigns a .3 for complete coverless comics, and a .1 if they are missing a page or more. So CGC doesn't count NG's on their census, while the other company does since there is a .1 and .3 grade tier.

Thanks for that info. Seems odd that I could have a coverless book missing a wrap, with fingerprints and pencil doodles and still get the same "NG" grade as another book without those defects.

I tell you guys about my experience going food shopping the other day?

If the supermarket you normally went to did not offer the soup you wanted then why would you continue to shop there when the supermarket down the block has everything you are already looking for and more at comparable, if not cheaper, prices?

Just a thought.

The only way the usual supermarket will learn to be innovative and make changes is when they wonder why there is a decrease in revenue.

Waldbaums, Shop and Save or King Kullen... they are all within easy driving distance. For Sriracha and a few other items though, they are still cheaper at Walmart. It is nice to have competitive options.

Giving "Poor" grades to coverless books isn't really accurate either. I understand the NG grade even if it's frustrating and doesn't adequately reflect the varying completeness and condition of the interior. They should just give the books an NC grade for "no cover" with page quality and maybe a number indicating their suitability for a married copy of a given Q grade based on condition of the pages ( tape tears, etc) that could translate to registry points for those who care.

On one hand I find the whole slabbing of incomplete and very low grade books kind of silly, but I understand why folks who want continuity in their collections whether on the registry or in a box might consider it.

Thanks everyone for your input.I only hope CGC see's this and takes some steps in the future to address it.

I have coverless books slabed because I feel it's helping to preserve history especially if it's older books or key books like AF#15,early Action Comics, Etc.

What would your choise be in coverless books to slab?