• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CC down?

72 posts in this topic

The site is still down and now the message has been changed since last evening. The comment on the site that I find troubling is "All comic book sessions (tues-fri) are all at their original scheduled times". Why is that? How can one justify that?

The site is still down and now the message has been changed since last evening. The comment on the site that I find troubling is "All comic book sessions (tues-fri) are all at their original scheduled times". Why is that? How can one justify that?

Because all the bidding is going to happen in the final minute anyway (shrug)

There's a message on their site now saying that the end-times of tonight's auctions will be rescheduled.

The Art auctions will be rescheduled. The comic auctions will be at their normal times. If they reschedule their comic auctions, I may have a problem being a bidder because I had them worked out so if I didn't win one, I had a fallback, and then another fallback. I will have problems bidding with my max bids I have worked out and have waited over a month to bid on some of these. If they are pushed back too much, I may just wait for CL and Pedigree.

On the IT side. I did IT for 20 years. The company I consulted for has a SLA for 0% down time and 0% latency. If there was an outage, the business groups would bill back their losses to the source of the outage; usually 100k per min. That was incentive alone for redundancy and a full time team for IT. In the last ten years I was there, I think we had three outages that lasted more than 5-min. An outage of this scale would have had me fired within the first two hours. I just hope they get this resolved and rethink their strategy.

I also find this really troubling.

Many bids come from overseas and they may not be able to bid last minute due to time differences.

Personally I have three books for sale in this auction and I'm not that sure I want any sales to go ahead.

I'd prefer to wait a month and have them in the next auction.

Only natural for me to want the highest sale possible.

Many bids come from overseas and they may not be able to bid last minute due to time differences.

Personally I have three books for sale in this auction and I'm not that sure I want any sales to go ahead.

I never thought about the overseas bidders. True, if the comic auctions do not go off as they were originally scheduled or are rescheduled, there are bidders that may take their bids elsewhere and sellers may not get their max prices possible. They need to get this resolved sooner than later.

I got books in the auction, I don't see your problem with the site being down. Heritage runs a feature auction for 3 weeks of internet bidding, ends all internet bidding and a few days later the books got to floor bidding. With the CC 3 minute biding at the end of the auction, you will be ok.

Many overseas bidders will not sit up to the early hours to make a bid.

e.g. I'm in the UK and will not sit up to around 3am for an auction...

A few times I have put in high bids the day before an auctions ends and have won as the last minute bidding has not gone that high.

So while last minute bidding will push the prices up, there is a good chance that some bids will not have gone in and one of those bids could have been higher.

I have emailed CC to say that I'd prefer my 3 books NOT to be sold in this auction (but that I'm happy for them to be in one of their future auctions) and will see what they say.

Many overseas bidders will not sit up to the early hours to make a bid.

e.g. I'm in the UK and will not sit up to around 3am for an auction...

:(

I have seen so many books pass me by because of this.

I don't mind waiting until 3AM since I don't sleep anyway. I just need them to go off in their correct order and not in a month, week, or days later. I've said it before, these auctions should not sit in the window for a month. 7 days is more than enough time for someone to decide if they will bid or not and most if not all REAL bidders are working their bids within the last hour anyway. They need to kick off at their original times. Bidders know when they were going to end and will be bidding the last hour regardless of how many hours the site was down.

7 days is more than enough time for someone to decide if they will bid or not and most if not all REAL bidders are working their bids within the last hour anyway.

this times infinity quadrupled.

7 days is more than enough time for someone to decide if they will bid or not and most if not all REAL bidders are working their bids within the last hour anyway.

How many zeros are in that? :)

I can't say it enough. We DON"T need 3-4 week auctions.

I don't mind waiting until 3AM since I don't sleep anyway. I just need them to go off in their correct order and not in a month, week, or days later. I've said it before, these auctions should not sit in the window for a month. 7 days is more than enough time for someone to decide if they will bid or not and most if not all REAL bidders are working their bids within the last hour anyway. They need to kick off at their original times. Bidders know when they were going to end and will be bidding the last hour regardless of how many hours the site was down.

^^

How many zeros are in that? :)

I can't say it enough. We DON"T need 3-4 week auctions.

You didn't mention the 3-min clock reset. When there's 30 seconds left and you see that $1000 bump, then again, then again, and again, that's me! Because I know that person really wants that book. Maybe I do too. :) Kind of like dropping a Storage Wars locker on someone!

I partly agree... and I partly disagree.

I agree that auctions do not need to last a month.

But as I mentioned I have won many books at auctions and I have NOT always made the bids within the last hour.

I will admit that I have usually made my bid within the last day, but we have way less than 24 hours to go and the site is still down.... so this is NOT good for sellers.

I agree that bidders know when the auctions were going to end, and that most (BUT NOT ALL) will be bidding in the last hour.

... and it's that NOT ALL that is important, as one of those bids may have been higher.

I know that I have won books with bids put in the days before as the last minute bidding did not go that high.

Because all the bidding is going to happen in the final minute anyway (shrug)

Possibly - but that's not the point. As a seller I'm not comfortable with how they've handled/ how they're handling this.

The site has been down since yesterday afternoon and the IT company responsible for the site and its integrity has not restored service as of the 10:55am EST.

My question is at what point is the decision made to come clean about the exact nature of the failure and at what point are the listings cancelled or postponed because service hasn't been restored?

Vincent is extremely intelligent. I'm sure there's a clause in Comicconnect's service agreement which addresses billbacks/ compensatory damages due to business interruption/ losses.

I partly agree... and I partly disagree.

I agree that auctions do not need to last a month.

But as I mentioned I have won many books at auctions and I have NOT always made the bids within the last hour.

I will admit that I have usually made my bid within the last day, but we have way less than 24 hours to go and the site is still down.... so this is NOT good for sellers.

I agree that bidders know when the auctions were going to end, and that most (BUT NOT ALL) will be bidding in the last hour.

... and it's that NOT ALL that is important, as one of those bids may have been higher.

I know that I have won books with bids put in the days before as the last minute bidding did not go that high.

If everybody thought and slept and bid the same way it would be simple.

For most people, if they try to get on a site and they can't get on, it diminishes the odds, however slightly, that they will try again. And I suppose that for some people an outage might them more determined to get their bids in. But at this point the outage has been severe enough and long enough that there is no way it hasn't affected bidders in one way or another in nearly every time zone.

How it should be best addressed, I don't know. I can't think of any ways to address it that would make me happy, so I wouldn't presume to suggest anything and say others should be required to be happy with that. But knowing that corporate giants are routinely hacked and even military sites have been taken down, the outage itself should not cast aspersions on CC. That part is nobody's fault, except the hackers, if that is what happened. Worldwide attention makes you a target for those people, especially when big dollar figures are mentioned in the articles But throw in the fact that hackers are also into video games, RPG and science fiction and that hackers also just like to screw with people. and you paint a picture this week of metro/c-connect as a prime target.