• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #300 Chromium variant

30 posts in this topic

Also...his "estimated quantity" for the ashcans is completely wrong.

What he has is the PRINT RUNS for these books. The estimated remaining copies is far, far lower.

If you're going to use "estimate", use the actual estimations from knowledgeable sources, not the original print runs.

That would be like saying "estimated copies for Action 1 is 200,000" since that was the print run.

Doesn't make sense.

How could he know how many copies circulated or survived?

That's what the word "estimate" means.

:shrug:

The guy does the site as a hobby and a FREE reference for those who are interested or are rare variant hunters (such as myself). Anybody who does something in their free time for the benefit of others is okay in my book.

That's nice, but that means, because it's free, it can be wrong? So, if I post a website telling everyone that tells everyone that Spiderman was created by DC in the 1970's by Elizabeth Taylor and Stephen Hawking...but don't charge for it...that's "ok in your book"?

This is bad reasoning.

And I'm totally fine knowing the original print run (or estimate thereof), it's at the very least a starting point and I can use my own extrapolations from there.

-J.

Fine, but your acceptance of that doesn't therefore make the information correct.

Either use one or the other. Don't call the original print run an "estimate."

Another incorrect piece of information:

"Somewhere around 600-1,000 are thought to have been issued." (Sandman #8 Editorial variant.)

We know how many were issued: 600. This is based on information obtained by Overstreet in 1989, when the book was issued. It was given out in the SF Bay Area.

I've never once had any issues with the site and used it on multiple different occasions to make informed buying decisions. I highly recommend it.

This is all well and good, but this makes the information factually correct....how?

My best recommendation for you would be to simply not use it. (thumbs u

-J.

Duly noted.

PS: Overstreet isn't necessarily right about everything either.

Again, poor reasoning, and a classic argumentum ad populum fallacy. The factual correctness, or lack thereof, in one place does not therefore negate or excuse the incorrectness of another.

We're not talking about Overstreet, and all I said was:

"Be aware that information from "Recalled Comics" can be, and has been, incorrect. Take it with a grain of salt. "

Try not to take things so personally.

Are you the owner of Recalled Comics?

PS: Here's the pertinent info, from CBG Feb 9, 1990:

"A last-minute change of plans by DC Comics and the necessity for printing

copyright information somewhere in the comic book created a collector's-item

version of Sandman #8. Editor Karen Berger wrote an introduction for the

inside front cover of the issue and Mike Dringenberg drew a next-issue teaser

the inside back cover. At the last moment, DC decided not to use them and the

issue was printed with a Jenette Kahn "Publishorial" on the inside front cover

and an American Cancer Society ad on the inside back cover. However, the

indicia -- which includes the copyright data - was to have gone on the inside

front cover with the Karen Berger introduction and the issue now had no

copyright notice. The printer arranged to run off the requisite five copies

with the indicia for copyright purposes. Because of the high-speed presses,

600 copies were actually printed and sent to DC Comics in three boxes -- with

no explanation. When writer Neil Gaiman was touring California after the San

Diego Comic-Con last summer, DC sent one box each to two comics stores where Gaiman would be doing signings: Comix Experience in San Francisco and The Outer Limits in Los Angeles. It was in these stores that the discovery

was made that they were variant printings. "Jaws dropped and phone calls

were made," Gaiman told CBG. "And, to the credits of both the stores,

the comics *were* given away to the people at the signings -- although

I think anything they had left over after the signing they will be selling."

That fills in some gaps in my knowledge, which I appreciate.

Also...his "estimated quantity" for the ashcans is completely wrong.

What he has is the PRINT RUNS for these books. The estimated remaining copies is far, far lower.

If you're going to use "estimate", use the actual estimations from knowledgeable sources, not the original print runs.

That would be like saying "estimated copies for Action 1 is 200,000" since that was the print run.

Doesn't make sense.

How could he know how many copies circulated or survived?

That's what the word "estimate" means.

:shrug:

The guy does the site as a hobby and a FREE reference for those who are interested or are rare variant hunters (such as myself). Anybody who does something in their free time for the benefit of others is okay in my book.

That's nice, but that means, because it's free, it's ok to be wrong? So, if I post a website telling everyone that tells everyone that Spiderman was created by DC in the 1970's by Elizabeth Taylor and Stephen Hawking...but don't charge for it...that's "ok in your book"?

This is bad reasoning.

And I'm totally fine knowing the original print run (or estimate thereof), it's at the very least a starting point and I can use my own extrapolations from there.

-J.

Fine, but your acceptance of that doesn't therefore make the information correct.

Either use one or the other. Don't call the original print run an "estimate."

Another incorrect piece of information:

"Somewhere around 600-1,000 are thought to have been issued." (Sandman #8 Editorial variant.)

We know how many were issued: 600. This is based on information obtained by Overstreet in 1989, when the book was issued. It was given out in the SF Bay Area.

I have no idea about any of this, although I tend to give RMA the benefit of the doubt. What I do know is that nowhere in the description of the comic does he use the official name of it, which is something I would do if I wanted to have even a modicum of credibility, provided his point is to be informative and educational.

Do you mean because he didn't include "spiderman 1" as part of the title there is no "modicum of credibility" to the site?

Come on. That's just being petty.

:gossip: And no, I'm not the owner. As I said, I and other variant hunters I know have successfully used the site on numerous occasions and have found it extremely invaluable and informative over the years.

-J.

Good lord really. The web site is free and helpful. I've used the site several times and enjoy reading the information. It is very appreciated. I don't expect to be 100% accurate.

At least its not like some other sites that pimp certain books as being "hot" then sell them on their site.

:applause:

-J.

Good lord really. The web site is free and helpful. I've used the site several times and enjoy reading the information. It is very appreciated. I don't expect to be 100% accurate.

At least its not like some other sites that pimp certain books as being "hot" then sell them on their site.

"Be aware that information from "Recalled Comics" can be, and has been, incorrect. Take it with a grain of salt."

Everything else was usual Jaydog back and forth.

Lighten up...?

hm

Thats disappointing. It's a cool cover, and I'm a child of the 90's so shiny things appeal to me.

I do collect variants and do pay a little more for books i want, but nothing like what is asked for the chromium cover.

Thanks for clearing that up guys. low print run/recalled books aside, I'd rather buy the original.

I think most would. You are still going to see this book at conventions. Its just pretty rare to see in a comic shop. I found one for $10 like 5 years ago or so. I sold it on here to a boardie for $100 and he was more then happy to pay it.

I have yet to see another copy in any shop and only see one at shows occasionally.

Its nice to see some of the other Chromium books increase in value as well.