• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Marvel Preview 4

9 posts in this topic

I'm new to the board. This is my first PGM. To the extent that I make these posts, it will be due to a particular defect that I don't know how CGC grades. Many thanks to 50 Cent Long Box for the help on this inaugural post. :)

Full disclosure: I've purchased exactly 1 CGC comic - X-Men 1 in 3.5, and I have never slabbed a book, despite my moniker. I plan to submit a few within the next year.

On to the matter at hand, I bought this for literally a quarter in 1996 (and I think they were happy to get even that!).

The defect here that I can't make a call on is the soiling on the back.

On the cover, I spotted three creases/ticks along the spine. Two show plainly in the second photo. The other tick mark is a very small one.

In addition, there are small bindery tears, top and bottom.

I've included 7 photos to give detail. Please let me know if anything in this post violated board rules.

15g0pg.jpg

2j2i1rl.jpg

209gb2c.jpg

oqypvt.jpg

1zq6kpl.jpg

mutlqs.jpg

314rpsm.jpg

Thanks, Thunsicker. The idea of pressing a comic is a new one for me and I'm still thinking through my thoughts on it, though a big uptick in sale price makes me warm up to it.

Anyone want to hazard a guess at the grade 'as is' if no pressing and cleaning is done?

I think at least 8.5 is possible as is. It wouldn't surprise me to see a 9.0 either. The 2 obvious flaws are on the upper spine but the corners and edges are razor sharp from what I can see.

I think at least 8.5 is possible as is. It wouldn't surprise me to see a 9.0 either. The 2 obvious flaws are on the upper spine but the corners and edges are razor sharp from what I can see.

Just like Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0 White Pages. Both spine corners have tears from cutting.

Thanks, all. I had a hard time judging the back cover (just what is that defect called? Soiling sounds worse than this bit maybe this is what they mean by soiling - the back of the comic getting a little dirty from rubbing against another. Glad to see grades around 8.5 as I did not have a sense how much to downgrade for this.

I have to go with Nick. And the book possibly has the potential to go much higher. Scans would really improve my ability to predict a grade.

As for that soiling on the BC cgc are very lenient on such dirt and I have seen many 9.6 books with soiling like that but maybe a bit less severe.