• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

I had never walked away from the booth when the price was changed, the price was 300 while the dealer looked down at his phone for 5 minutes, and when his head was raised it was now priced at 800. During this time he was still in possession of both copes of my NM 98. This will be my last post on this topic.

Unfortunately it now becomes a situation of your word against his and there's no way to prove who's telling the truth. But I can't see a strong reason for you to lie and I can see 500 reasons for the dealer to mark up the price of his book so I know where I stand.

and then to lie about it.

I haven't read the whole thread, but would people actually object to a dealer changing prices on books during a show? Seems hard to expect a dealer -- particularly a part-time ( they run the montreal comic convention, not a part-timer) one with significant inventoryit's a wall book, brought to the third largest con in NA, and put on display with a price, not something in the back of a store-- to ignore market information he may have picked up during a show.he didnt pick up on it, a customer tried to buy something

No one objects to that, people are objecting to someone attempting to pay the sticker price, and while waiting at "the cash register", having the dealer stop you while he looks up your book on ebay and triples the price.

That's pretty much what I said.

I was responding to Roy's point that some people in the thread were objecting -- beyond the particulars of this case -- to dealers repricing books once a show opens. That kind of repricing seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Trying to get a buyer to pay more than sticker price once the buyer has expressed interest in a book is the objectionable part, in my view.

The timing is all I've taken issue with as well. A dealer is free to reprice books whenever they want to, but if they choose to reprice a book a buyer is interested in after they have already quoted that buyer a price on the book then that is poor form.

When a buyer asks a dealer to give him a discount.. He is asking the dealer to change his sticker pricer to a lower price.Which seems to be an accepted practice for everyone.

I dont see why the dealer, if a deal has not been reached with a seller , can not change his sticker price on a book during a show.

The bottom line, Venom found a great deal and should have just paid full sticker, he would have walked away with the book.

Instead he made lower offers and trade offers, which we (sellers) did not accept and decided not to make a deal.

At that point we have every right to do as we wish with our book, no matter what the buyer offers.

(again)

So if you have a book that I want at NYCC and quote me a price, and I agree, but then throw it out there if you can do any better if I pay in cash, or if you would take a partial trade, am I to expect that you reserve the option, upon my asking that question to raise the price of the book?

:bump:

You would think after more than 600 posts, there are no stones left unturned.

Probably everybody has formed their own opinion by now. There are certainly a lot that are firmly entrenched in their thinking that nothing else said will change their minds. That is unless there are new revelations about what actually happened.

I get two things out of this thread. (1) If you find a bargain, just pay for it and don't give the seller an opportunity to change his mind. Don't push your luck. (2) As a seller, it's not a good business practice to change prices upward while in negotiations. If you price it at or near the going rate in the first place, you won't need to re-price your books.

The timing is all I've taken issue with as well. A dealer is free to reprice books whenever they want to, but if they choose to reprice a book a buyer is interested in after they have already quoted that buyer a price on the book then that is poor form.

and basically illegal under the Canadian consumer protection act...

"Renegotiation of price

16. It is an unfair practice for a person to use his, her or its custody or control of a consumer’s goods to pressure the consumer into renegotiating the terms of a consumer transaction. 2002, c. 30, Sched. A, s. 16."

"Subject to this section, this Act applies in respect of all consumer transactions if the consumer or the person engaging in the transaction with the consumer is located in Ontario when the transaction takes place. "

"“consumer transaction” means any act or instance of conducting business or other dealings with a consumer,"

"Renegotiation of price

16. It is an unfair practice for a person to use his, her or its custody or control of a consumer’s goods to pressure the consumer into renegotiating the terms of a consumer transaction. 2002, c. 30, Sched. A, s. 16."

"Subject to this section, this Act applies in respect of all consumer transactions if the consumer or the person engaging in the transaction with the consumer is located in Ontario when the transaction takes place. "

"“consumer transaction” means any act or instance of conducting business or other dealings with a consumer,"

bait-and-switch

the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods.

"Renegotiation of price

bait-and-switch

the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods.

This is why I get irritated with Hastings when they sticker price their store variants above the cover price printed on those same books on the day of release. If they want to charge more for their own variant, why not print a $7.99 cover price onto them?

Same thing happened to me while attending a show in Attleboro,MA. I grabbed a book which was marked with a price on it, I go to cash out with a few other books and he says "oh no, this one is at a higher price point". He doubles the price of the book and I told him to keep them all. He lost 400.00 in sales to make an extra $20.00 and I'll never trade with him again. :sumo:

To the original issue: I had a Hulk 271 in my dollar box for several years that did not sell. Before the Guardians of the Galaxy movie news it wasn't an easy book to sell. I had a buyer pick it out of my dollar box along with some other books at a show 2 years ago. I noticed it was in his pile, I sold it at a dollar and said "getting a good deal on that one".

I have noticed the buyer comes back to my table every year and browses my bargain boxes. He also bought a key book off of me 2 years later: a Marvel Preview 7 at my full asking. Sometimes it is wiser to sell a book for less.

Those words would have hooked me, too. Rather than "dealer" and "buyer", those words make us fellow comic book fans. Well done.

Probably everybody has formed their own opinion by now. There are certainly a lot that are firmly entrenched in their thinking that nothing else said will change their minds. That is unless there are new revelations about what actually happened.

I get two things out of this thread. (1) If you find a bargain, just pay for it and don't give the seller an opportunity to change his mind. Don't push your luck. (2) As a seller, it's not a good business practice to change prices upward while in negotiations. If you price it at or near the going rate in the first place, you won't need to re-price your books.

Don't forget the 3rd lesson:

3) if you're going to post a thread outing someone for bad behavior you had better post ALL the details otherwise the thread will go sideways on you real fast.

3) if you're going to post a thread outing someone for bad behavior you had better post ALL the details otherwise the thread will go sideways on you real fast.

In his initial post, he mentioned that he felt the dealer was changing the price on him and was disgusted about it. It sounded like he wondered if others felt the same or had a similar experience, not that the whole deal was sour.

For a change it didn't seem like the OP was the one getting hammered on in this thread. Normally after about 8 posts it turns into a festival of bashing the OP (and memes, we mustn't forget the memes), but it seemed to me that this thread stayed mostly focused on the bad behavior of the dealer. Maybe it is just me.

Overall, you're right. It did seem like at the point where it was revealed that a deal was actually consummated that some of the supporters got a bit miffed that we weren't told that up front. Since the OP decided to abandon the thread, I got the impression he was doing so because he wasn't happy with the direction the thread was going.

Yet, the consensus seems to be that the dealer was clearly out of line when he chose to alter the price when and how he did. And I agree: the dealer isn't bound to a price for the duration of a con, but doing a price check and change with an interested customer In front of you is neither the time nor the place.

That he ended up the book was irrelevant to the point he was trying to make. The dealer raised the price of the book. That is what he was complaining about.

As I mentioned, a dealer did that to me at a NY show. I wound up buying the book because I needed it for a signing by someone in attendance.

The fact that I bought the book anyway, what book it was, the condition... all of that is incidental to the fact that dealer pulled that nonsense.

I haven't read the whole thread, but would people actually object to a dealer changing prices on books during a show? Seems hard to expect a dealer -- particularly a part-time ( they run the montreal comic convention, not a part-timer) one with significant inventoryit's a wall book, brought to the third largest con in NA, and put on display with a price, not something in the back of a store-- to ignore market information he may have picked up during a show.he didnt pick up on it, a customer tried to buy something

No one objects to that, people are objecting to someone attempting to pay the sticker price, and while waiting at "the cash register", having the dealer stop you while he looks up your book on ebay and triples the price.

I was responding to Roy's point that some people in the thread were objecting -- beyond the particulars of this case -- to dealers repricing books once a show opens. That kind of repricing seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Trying to get a buyer to pay more than sticker price once the buyer has expressed interest in a book is the objectionable part, in my view.

I was in Baltimore today and bumped into Harley Yee (among other dealers).

Harley was at Fan Expo last weekend and deals regularly with MCC guys. Harley doesn't read the chat forum but he did mention to me how he had heard about the discussion in this thread...possibly from the MCC guys...I don't know.

When I asked Harley if he spoke to MCC about the incident at Fan Expo, he said that the MCC guys recounted the event to him at Fan Expo as MCC recounts the events here.

I asked "Did the MCC guys change the price with the customer waiting there?"

His answer was "No."

"Did the customer leave the booth and then return?"

Harley blurted out in typical, excited Harley fashion: "That's what Oscar told me."

I believe Harley was told the details at the show before they even knew about the thread on here.

So many twists and turns. :facepalm:

I was in Baltimore today and bumped into Harley Yee (among other dealers).

Harley was at Fan Expo last weekend and deals regularly with MCC guys. Harley doesn't read the chat forum but he did mention to me how he had heard about the discussion in this thread...possibly from the MCC guys...I don't know.

When I asked Harley if he spoke to MCC about the incident at Fan Expo, he said that the MCC guys recounted the event to him at Fan Expo as MCC recounts the events here.

I asked "Did the MCC guys change the price with the customer waiting there?"

His answer was "No."

"Did the customer leave the booth and then return?"

Harley blurted out in typical, excited Harley fashion: "That's what Oscar told me."

I believe Harley was told the details at the show before they even knew about the thread on here.

So many twists and turns. :facepalm:

Man I wish I was going downtown this weekend…

Odd that they had a discussion about inhumans-gate without knowing a controversy existed. Why would it be a topic of discussion?

Not odd that their story was the same as told there and here.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly. Why go telling details of a non-event?

Still, that post ought to be good for another 60 pages. :ohnoez::D