• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

I had a long talk with Richie Muchin a few months ago at a show, and the point of the conversation was that basically most sharks are always looking to buy dealer's mistakes.

It's interesting to see the other side of the perspective, and kind of funny to view anyone buying from a dealer as a shark. Isn't a person trying to find deals on comic books just a customer?

To me a Shark would be one dealer trying to get stock from another dealer because he knows a book has got hot, and not being honest. Dealers scooping dealers is shark like to me (didnt that happen with Walking Dead and dollar boxes a few years back). Customers looking for good prices is just shopping :)

With so many folks flipping books to support their habit, or just "part-time dealing" there is no real bright line between collector and dealer. I am a pretty hardcore collector of certain stuff, but at shows, I buy a lot of stuff that I have no intention of doing anything with except flipping.

There is a new animal in town, not sure I would call them sharks but maybe mercenary entrepreneurs

Possibly.

When I called them 'sharks' I just mean they know a bargain (ie easy prey) when they see it and won't miss the opportunity.

(thumbs u

Roy is right. There is a huge difference between a guy looking for a deal and a guy who doesn't miss mistakes. There is really very little reason to even go to a table after a few of these guys have hit it. And its not about just the hot books. Its anything as most of these guys are indiscriminate about what they buy, as long as it is at the right price.

to quote one of my favorite movies...

"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

If it makes you feel any better I am pretty sure I bought a pretty decent copy of the Where Monsters Dwell Groot issue from you for $2 a couple of NYCCs ago. Of course, that wasn't cherry picking, that was just getting lucky later on.

After reading many of the posts in this milky way galaxy of a thread I think perhaps the saddest thing about this all is the poor "10$/hr." employee who probably got his behind chewed out for creating this"spoon" storm. Dreams of working in comic book collecting?...dreams of owning your own store kid?....POOF!Call me crazy but said employee might have gotten in less trouble for just selling the book in the first place, me thinks, rather then having the booth owner re-neg.#LEH

What is the minimum wage in Canada nowadays?

At least it wasnt the original TTA 13

that hasn't been a $2 book for a long time. and that has nothing to do with groot.

Might be going over my head - doesn't TTA 13 have everything to do with groot?

My 2012/13 OPG has it at $58 in VG (and $700 for a 9.2) and doesn't even mention Groot. Those pre-hero Marvels have sold/sell pretty well for a long time, so my guess is the FMV was around $29-$58 for a VG copy. It is a Kirby/Ditko book, that alone made it worth something.

Ugh... Oscar's a decent guy, but you have to know how to talk to him. He doesn't seem to turn up many finds, and buys a lot from other dealers, so he can't deal on his best stuff. If he comes back and says "$800", you tell him, "Oscar, WTF? $800 is NM. Sell it to me for $250, and you'll make a regular customer out of me," and close with a handshake.

I think I'll take all mentions of "Oscar" and change that to "George." That makes me happier :)

I've read a lot of threads on here how it's uncool to buy comics for dirt cheap from an "old lady" or similar. But there are so many flippers and dealers running around early on trying to scoop hot books at a con.

Is it ethical to buy a book from a dealer's dollar bin knowing you can get big bucks for it. There's the "dealer should know better" argument but what's the difference between the dealer and old lady? It hurts the dealer more because the bruises he gets from kicking himself.

Oh Hell yes.

Are we responsible to hand hold everyone?

As a seller if I fark up its my responsibility to properly list everythign and eat loss

Exactly his point, so next time someone scoops an old lady can we hope the hypocrites in this comic forum will keep it shut because that old lady should have done her research before trying to sell comics.

I've read a lot of threads on here how it's uncool to buy comics for dirt cheap from an "old lady" or similar. But there are so many flippers and dealers running around early on trying to scoop hot books at a con.

Is it ethical to buy a book from a dealer's dollar bin knowing you can get big bucks for it. There's the "dealer should know better" argument but what's the difference between the dealer and old lady? It hurts the dealer more because the bruises he gets from kicking himself.

Oh Hell yes.

Are we responsible to hand hold everyone?

As a seller if I fark up its my responsibility to properly list everythign and eat loss

Exactly his point, so next time someone scoops an old lady can we hope the hypocrites in this comic forum will keep it shut because that old lady should have done her research before trying to sell comics.

Please stop trespassing on my dream scenarios. There is no way I will be able to retire on what I put in my 401K after sending these animals to college. I need a 93 year old lady who has kept her kid brother's room a shrine for the last 70 years who finally decides it is time to get rid of all those silly comics so she can have a knitting room. I guess a shrine kept in pristine condition since let's say 1967 is more feasible. (And yes, I am a horrible person.)

I had a long talk with Richie Muchin a few months ago at a show, and the point of the conversation was that basically most sharks are always looking to buy dealer's mistakes.

It's interesting to see the other side of the perspective, and kind of funny to view anyone buying from a dealer as a shark. Isn't a person trying to find deals on comic books just a customer?

To me a Shark would be one dealer trying to get stock from another dealer because he knows a book has got hot, and not being honest. Dealers scooping dealers is shark like to me (didnt that happen with Walking Dead and dollar boxes a few years back). Customers looking for good prices is just shopping :)

With so many folks flipping books to support their habit, or just "part-time dealing" there is no real bright line between collector and dealer. I am a pretty hardcore collector of certain stuff, but at shows, I buy a lot of stuff that I have no intention of doing anything with except flipping.

There is a new animal in town, not sure I would call them sharks but maybe mercenary entrepreneurs

Possibly.

When I called them 'sharks' I just mean they know a bargain (ie easy prey) when they see it and won't miss the opportunity.

(thumbs u

Roy is right. There is a huge difference between a guy looking for a deal and a guy who doesn't miss mistakes. There is really very little reason to even go to a table after a few of these guys have hit it. And its not about just the hot books. Its anything as most of these guys are indiscriminate about what they buy, as long as it is at the right price.

to quote one of my favorite movies...

"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

re: shark.

I would like to add Major Comics comes to my booth during shows and asks for deals on books. I sell them to him, and watch as he walks back to his booth and sells the book to a customer waiting.

It isn't how I would do it, I would support my fellow dealers and say "you know I don't have that book but I know the dealer over there does."

You are right, most of the time there is no point in going to a booth after a few of the usual suspects have hit it. Big cons are picked relatively clean of good flipping material well before the doors open to the public.

Hearing this makes me feel really sad :/lol

x2 Guess I shouldn't go to Baltimore then, I can't make it until Sunday. :sorry:

Not entirely true. I have picked up great deals on the last day of many shows. You just have to be patient and know where to look.

If so, I've seen them many times at cons. Have nice books, but they're radically overpriced, all the time.

They, like many dealers out ther, genuinely have no clue how to grade.

They just either price books at what they think the market is for a particular book or a percentage over what they paid.

since they are still around obviously someone is buying their overgraded overpriced stuff. Therefore, their buyers are just as clueless.