• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

"I think a price given once to someone at a show should be good for the duration of the show"

Unless the person asks me that price is only good for the time they are in front of the booth.

In San Diego they announced Ultron, would I have to honor a price on Avengers #55 given on preview night when they announced it over the weekend?

OK maybe that is an exception. Although I thought that was late at night at which time the floor was closed...? That kind of market-moving news in the middle of a show is pretty rare & this FF 45 thing doesn't sound like an example.

Anyway I should have said "duration of the day." By which I mean a guy comes up a couple hours later and says "would you honor that older price I saw" I think a dealer should say sure. It's good for customer relations.

Raw VF-VF+'s sell for about 400

I sold a raw VF FF #45 for $650 8/15, had it priced at $750 so I'm not sure where you are pulling this price out of.

Perusing sold listings on ebay I saw several like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-4-45-VF-NM-comic-Dragon-Man-Paves-The-Way-For-The1st-Inhumans-/301238081622?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4623305856&nma=true&si=aRt6FXDJNjzpRrXM0rIH5cB4o8Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

to be fair, that top staple looks a little rusty and something is going on around ben's fist near the bottom staple, so I don't know what grade that actually should be

"I think a price given once to someone at a show should be good for the duration of the show"

Unless the person asks me that price is only good for the time they are in front of the booth.

In San Diego they announced Ultron, would I have to honor a price on Avengers #55 given on preview night when they announced it over the weekend?

OK maybe that is an exception. Although I thought that was late at night at which time the floor was closed...? That kind of market-moving news in the middle of a show is pretty rare & this FF 45 thing doesn't sound like an example.

Anyway I should have said "duration of the day." By which I mean a guy comes up a couple hours later and says "would you honor that older price I saw" I think a dealer should say sure. It's good for customer relations.

If you are looking through your inventory and decide a book isn't priced right that's one thing. If you mark something up right after an offer on a book, that doesn't sit right with me.

Based on the new post the only person who should be upset is the guy who tried to do the cash/trade deal.

Instead of getting cute he should have paid the $300 and walked away with the book.

So negotiating is 'getting cute' now?

Negotiating when you know that FF #45 is a hot new movie book and that if it is a VF+ and sells for $925 graded is "getting cute". Why negotiate? Making $500+ isn't enough? You got to rub it in a little more? Why?

How many sales at that wacky price.

jeez louise, i need to go look for that book, but no way whatever i have is a VF+...I already got lucky finding a nice thor 165

Yes we made the deal.

Then why did venom make this damn thread in the first place? :makepoint:(shrug)

criminey!!!! how many brain cells have i wasted on this thread not knowing this tidbit.

but it did light a fire under my rear to find that darn book...

All I have to say on the matter is if Montreal Comiccon is Oscar he is a really nice guy. He worked with me on price for the GI Joe #155 cgc 9.6 for my personal collection. He was always friendly with me.

Should also add I met them a few years back as well not sure of the other guys name with the glasses but they helped me with some books then.

They had a 154 I passed on because money was tight but they offered it to me at a decent price.

They are straight shooters in my mind and would continue to buy books from them.

:)

Hey Whisp, you guys were great to deal with.

I think once you refuse a deal, you can do as you wish price wise with your book if you felt it was over priced , underpriced overgraded or undergraded

It did happen on many occasions that we lowered the price on a book during a show.A buyer points out a defect that you missed and you need to adjust the price.

I feel it can work both ways.

I undersold a Hulk 1 during the show, was told by another dealer that I had undersold it. So when I ran into another Hulk 1 during the show, I paid more then I would have paid before the show started.

Hey Whisp, you guys were great to deal with.

I think once you refuse a deal, you can do as you wish price wise with your book if you felt it was over priced , underpriced overgraded or undergraded

It did happen on many occasions that we lowered the price on a book during a show.A buyer points out a defect that you missed and you need to adjust the price.

I feel it can work both ways.

I undersold a Hulk 1 during the show, was told by another dealer that I had undersold it. So when I ran into another Hulk 1 during the show, I paid more then I would have paid before the show started.

Well apparently the OP failed to mention that one tiny caveat about the deal being made after all.So......Welcome to the Boards. :applause:

Even in the short time I have been here, I have already lost count of the number of threads that were started in CG where the OP left out vital information because it hurt their case. It seems more so than not, that the originator of the thread usually gets the wave turned against them.

I received this via PM:

Hey,

This is Oscar from Major Comics.

You mixed us with another dealer ( Comicage), hes the one that sold the Xmen 4.

We never sold an Xmen 4 in Calgary.

Thanks

Oscar

My apologies in mixing up Montreal dealers.

Big turn of events in this thread. Jeez. Wtf is up with OP leaving out the most important detail...

He straight up lied in my opinion with the information he didn't include. Saying they priced it at $800 dollars when in fact he still ended up buying it for $500-600 with the trade value is ridiculous.