• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This should be interesting...and expensive!!!!!!!!

92 posts in this topic

If so I think I'll be sending in more of my GS and DC 100 pagers to get these high grades which I personally don't think they warrant?
Go for it. Seriously, I keep hearing people say that squarebounds get the breaks all the time. But, how many people have actually sent in books to be graded? My first big submission of 100 pagers were a disaster because I thought the same way. However, I've since refined my prescreening of these books and I'm rarely disappointed in the grading of them! 893applaud-thumb.gif

If so I think I'll be sending in more of my GS and DC 100 pagers to get these high grades which I personally don't think they warrant?
Go for it. Seriously, I keep hearing people say that squarebounds get the breaks all the time. But, how many people have actually sent in books to be graded? My first big submission of 100 pagers were a disaster because I thought the same way. However, I've since refined my prescreening of these books and I'm rarely disappointed in the grading of them! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah, I've personally sent in 3 GS Defenders 1s (8.5, 9.4 and 9.4), I've owned a CGC 9.0 and 9.2 copy bought off ebay as well. I sold Deathlok a GS defenders 3 CGC (I forget right now ?) - maybe he can comment if he felt it was accurately graded. I've seen a CGC 9.6 HOM Dc 100 pager up close graded onsite at Baltimore con this year (I think Sterlingcomics owns it now...) - I guess the crimping/pinching of the spine and slight indents caused sometimes by the staples are something that prevents me from thinking of them as true high grade, but maybe I should just loosen up...

I've got some nice GS's but didn't think it was worth the risk of slabbing...maybe I'll work on finding some DC 100 pagers to slab and flip wink.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, I've personally sent in 3 GS Defenders 1s (8.5, 9.4 and 9.4), I've owned a CGC 9.0 and 9.2 copy bought off ebay as well. I sold Deathlok a GS defenders 3 CGC (I forget right now ?) - maybe he can comment if he felt it was accurately graded. I've seen a CGC 9.6 HOM Dc 100 pager up close graded onsite at Baltimore con this year (I think Sterlingcomics owns it now...) - I guess the crimping/pinching of the spine and slight indents caused sometimes by the staples are something that prevents me from thinking of them as true high grade, but maybe I should just loosen up...

I've got some nice GS's but didn't think it was worth the risk of slabbing...maybe I'll work on finding some DC 100 pagers to slab and flip wink.gif

By all means! You can take all the risks of grading them. Obviously, I've seen more slabbed copies of the 100 pagers and the flaws that appear to be allowed in the higher grades so I can usually ID what is a good candidate. Although I did give up on GS Marvels because of the unspectacular grades that I got from them as well as the poor financial return (GS X-men 1 CGC 9.6 notwithstanding tongue.gif)

By all means! You can take all the risks of grading them. Obviously, I've seen more slabbed copies of the 100 pagers and the flaws that appear to be allowed in the higher grades so I can usually ID what is a good candidate. Although I did give up on GS Marvels because of the unspectacular grades that I got from them as well as the poor financial return (GS X-men 1 CGC 9.6 notwithstanding tongue.gif)

Greggy stop being cryptic...tell us what CGC looks at specifically in regards to 100 pagers. Don't have us make the same mistakes you did...share the wealth... smirk.gifpoke2.gif

Jim

Greggy stop being cryptic...tell us what CGC looks at specifically in regards to 100 pagers. Don't have us make the same mistakes you did...share the wealth... smirk.gifpoke2.gif

Jim

Nope...people have to suffer! I'm tired of people whining about how lenient certain books are graded but they refuse to grade their own copies to test out the theory! And..when they do, they seem so disappointed in most cases! Must be the rose coloured glasses that a lot of submitters wear when THEIR books get graded! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I definitely feel that there are some breaks given to 100 pagers, but I think that stems from production flaws (like the glue rippling) as opposed to things that are wear or damage based that happen more frequently. I think the giant sizes and 100 pagers were subject to more production flaws (especially in the binding process) and since CGC does forgive certain production defects, i suspect that's where most of the leniency comes from.

I definitely feel that there are some breaks given to 100 pagers, but I think that stems from production flaws (like the glue rippling) as opposed to things that are wear or damage based that happen more frequently. I think the giant sizes and 100 pagers were subject to more production flaws (especially in the binding process) and since CGC does forgive certain production defects, i suspect that's where most of the leniency comes from.
I concur! Until I see CGC forgive obvious wear related creases..etc, their grading is consistent with how they tend to grade other books.

78396138.jpg

Now I'm not sure if it is the photo angle or not but if that top left corner is showing abrasion and the top left edge is showing wear where it should be all black, then I'm betting this would not be a 9.6 if it was on anything other than a 100 pager or GS... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

big if's...

Although I did give up on GS Marvels because of the unspectacular grades that I got from them as well as the poor financial return (GS X-men 1 CGC 9.6 notwithstanding tongue.gif)

That (your GS sales) was the MAIN reason why I did not want to follow suit and slab my GS's at the time. It is simply NOT worth it. and i don't have a GS Xmen with a potential 9.6 label waiting for it... If you were chasing a top registry set, then maybe I could see the expense, but for selling, they are best left raw IMO.

And..when they do, they seem so disappointed in most cases! Must be the rose coloured glasses that a lot of submitters wear when THEIR books get graded! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

CGC apologist! 27_laughing.gif This is the most I've seen you write in a while? I tihnk someone's hijacked your account! 893whatthe.gif

Although I did give up on GS Marvels because of the unspectacular grades that I got from them as well as the poor financial return (GS X-men 1 CGC 9.6 notwithstanding tongue.gif)

That (your GS sales) was the MAIN reason why I did not want to follow suit and slab my GS's at the time. It is simply NOT worth it. and i don't have a GS Xmen with a potential 9.6 label waiting for it... If you were chasing a top registry set, then maybe I could see the expense, but for selling, they are best left raw IMO.

So....I helped you save $$? Christo_pull_hair.gif Yeah, I realized that when 9.6s couldn't hit $100 that it just wasn't worth my time considering most of them were in the economy tier and not the modern! foreheadslap.gif

I see the illusion could be fro the edge where I'm seeing the side of the spine, slightly showing up front - but the corner abrasion still can't be explained away.

also, there are eyelashes or Newt's pubes encased again right by the DC 100 pages logo up top... 27_laughing.gif

So....I helped you save $$? Christo_pull_hair.gif Yeah, I realized that when 9.6s couldn't hit $100 that it just wasn't worth my time considering most of them were in the economy tier and not the modern! foreheadslap.gif

Thanks sucka! And you are right, my last sale of GS Defenders 1 CGC 9.4 was $30 with shipping included foreheadslap.gif with economy cost to factor in. not making much if anything , there...

And..when they do, they seem so disappointed in most cases! Must be the rose coloured glasses that a lot of submitters wear when THEIR books get graded! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

CGC apologist! 27_laughing.gif This is the most I've seen you write in a while? I tihnk someone's hijacked your account! 893whatthe.gif

I speak the truth! Yeah, I'm bored of graemlins and this is a topic that I'm familiar with so why not amuse you guys! 893blahblah.gif

I see the illusion could be fro the edge where I'm seeing the side of the spine, slightly showing up front - but the corner abrasion still can't be explained away.

also, there are eyelashes or Newt's pubes encased again right by the DC 100 pages logo up top... 27_laughing.gif

893whatthe.gif

True story-I did receive some books from a seller and found "what appeared to be" a pube hair. Gross as 893censored-thumb.gif

I seriously doubt that there's any problem with Al's "professionalism" here. I don't think the pictures are all that fantastic, but the truth is, most people paying astronomical sums are buying the label, so as long as it says 9.6, most are willing to take that chance.

I seriously doubt that there's any problem with Al's "professionalism" here. I don't think the pictures are all that fantastic, but the truth is, most people paying astronomical sums are buying the label, so as long as it says 9.6, most are willing to take that chance.

Didn't mean to knock the seller-that wasn't my intention-my apologies. Just overwhelmed by the pics which don't show off the product in its best light when a simple scan would've done more (with less). I agree here with the label buying. Gamble on!

thumbsup2.gif