• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This should be interesting...and expensive!!!!!!!!

92 posts in this topic

Well, since CGC is so lenient on GS books, here's some quick $$$ for the first board member to dig through their long box:

$200 each for 9.4s of:

GS Avengers #2

GS Captain Marvel #1

GS Master of Kung Fu #1

GS Werewolf by Night #2

9.6s will net $300.

They should be a snap, you probably don't even need to pre-grade!

Nope...people have to suffer! I'm tired of people whining about how lenient certain books are graded but they refuse to grade their own copies to test out the theory! And..when they do, they seem so disappointed in most cases! Must be the rose coloured glasses that a lot of submitters wear when THEIR books get graded! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gifthumbsup2.gif

Well, since CGC is so lenient on GS books, here's some quick $$$ for the first board member to dig through their long box:

$200 each for 9.4s of:

GS Avengers #2

GS Captain Marvel #1

GS Master of Kung Fu #1

GS Werewolf by Night #2

9.6s will net $300.

893applaud-thumb.gif now that's incentive... I'll be checking my copies - I'll let you know in 4-6 months when I get them back 27_laughing.gif - actually best thing to do would be just wait until the first onsite grading again this 2005 and get them slabbed there...

$200 each for 9.4s of:

GS Avengers #2

GS Captain Marvel #1

GS Master of Kung Fu #1

GS Werewolf by Night #2

9.6s will net $300.

Good luck with the Cap Marvel #1. That's one issue I've rarely seen in HG. The white cover has tanned considerably on all the copies I've come across. Which is odd because you don't see other tanned white covered GS titles with nearly the same frequency. Different paper quality maybe?

Jim

now that's incentive... I'll be checking my copies - I'll let you know in 4-6 months when I get them back 27_laughing.gif - actually best thing to do would be just wait until the first onsite grading again this 2005 and get them slabbed there...

Any idea which con this will be? I heard that CGC will be setting up at the Emerald City Con in Seattle at the beginning of February. However, not sure if they are going to be having on-site grading there?

Darth you really interested in that book? why bid so early?

No, I wasn't THAT interested or else I'd snipe. But I thought $1K would be a decent price to pay for it now - it doesn't really matter since it did not meet reserve with my bid.... I may not think it is such a good price when more copies in that grade pop up on the census...like I said before, I have the reprint that came out earlier this year...this is a trophy item that'll get flipped when demand increases again or when I get bored with it (IF I had won it) devil.gif

failed to meet reserve at $1170. Surprised reserve wasn't a little bit lower. This is a pretty book, but the price was a little aggressive... this go around on ebay. I think you'd have to get someone who REALLY wanted to pay a huge sum in order to get a whole lot more than the closing price. although no action at the end... very strange.

failed to meet reserve at $1170. Surprised reserve wasn't a little bit lower. This is a pretty book, but the price was a little aggressive... this go around on ebay. I think you'd have to get someone who REALLY wanted to pay a huge sum in order to get a whole lot more than the closing price. although no action at the end... very strange.
The book was thrill bidded to hell to get up to that price. To be honest, I feel that only Serpi's bid was "legitimate". Once we knew what Al was expecting as a closing price, it didn't make sense to bid it up higher to give him an more false sense of its value. Plus, paying for the first of any "top census" book is a krapshoot. There will be more of this book if it ever sells at a decent price.

Well, I'm sure that he'll have re-evaluate some of his pricing IF he wants to sell them in a reasonable timeframe. Some of the books that I see in his eBay store is discounted from quite a bit from his initial price at the SD convention but it's still not moving fast. I bought one book from him in SD and saw a bunch of other ones from this collection from Michigan so I can say that it's really nice. However, he'll probably realize that 9.4/9.6 DCs don't necessarily go for huge prices. I'll be patient and see what he eventually wants to do with the book.

Some of his pricing on his 100 pagers isn't that bad but his timing is bad with some of them, as the main collectors of them already in most cases, own similiar conditioned copies. Therefore, there's no big rush to buy them.

Actually Greggy, I've been really into the DC 100 pagers lately, and I find that this is one of the few categories of books that I still want to own in high grade simply because the production flaws make the books sooooo much worse in the mid grade levels generally (although if I can find respectable mid grade copies, I've been buying them). However, I actually prefer them raw because I love looking at the inside of the book.

Al is typically initially aggressive with his pricing. This is his m.o. I'm not sure he really is super anxious to move the books really fast, but more of testing the marketplace to see what the current feel is. He may get an entirely different reaction to these books a few months from now.

There's one book where I think he's waaaay off and that's the 9.2 Superman 252 for $190. I think that one's in the stratosphere.

I'm very curious to talk to Al because I think he's got a very different view than many dealers I come across.

Once we knew what Al was expecting as a closing price, it didn't make sense to bid it up higher to give him an more false sense of its value. Plus, paying for the first of any "top census" book is a krapshoot. There will be more of this book if it ever sells at a decent price.

thumbsup2.gif

Jim