• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best and worst of 2004

21 posts in this topic

In light of the upcoming new year, I thought it would be nice to reflect on this year in comics and the best and worst it had to offer. Here are some of my nominations....

Best Written: The Goon (Eric Powell) 27_laughing.gif

Best Cover Art: The Punisher (Tim Bradstreet) sumo.gif

Best Interior Art: Conan (Cary Nord) cloud9.gif

Worst Written: ? confused-smiley-013.gif

Worst Cover Art: Conan (Leinil Francis Yu) frustrated.gifboo.gif

Worst Interior Art: ? confused-smiley-013.gif

Feel free to add any categories, ect.

I agree that the worst written is the Sins Past storyline in Amazing Spider-Man. J. Michael Straczynski has written some good (not really great) stories, but this one was clearly a bad decision on his part. And it was an even worse decision to let this thing be printed on Marvel's part. Marvel's decision to cut out a lot of the sexual content in their comics in the post-Jemas age was probably a good thing, especially when Marvel's trying to reach a younger audience with its books. However, making Gwen Stacy a slut is something that should have fallen under that editorial edict.

Her's my best and worst of 2004 list. Remember, this is simply my opinion and should be taken as such. I hold no ill will to any of the creators I listed in my "worst" picks, but that's the way I feel this year. Next year, it could be different.

So, with that said, here they are:

The best written and drawn (Best Comic of the Year award) of 2004: Identity Crisis.

The best new series: She-Hulk

The best hardcover collection: JLA/Avengers

The best trade paperback collection: Plastic Man: On The Lam

The best reason to take half a day off work and drive 115 miles to my local comic book store on Wednesday: Identity Crisis

Best book about comics: The Amazing World of Carmine Infantino from Vanguard Productions

Best Comic Book Magazine: Back Issue from Twomorrows (runner-up: Charlton Spotlight from Michael Ambrose and Argo Press)

Best penciller: Kyle Baker, Plastic Man

Best Inker: Michael Bair

Best cover artist: James Jean

Best story arc within an ongoing series: Thor: Ragnarok

Worst comic: Identity Disk

Worst artist: Michael Turner

Most overrated and overused comic artist: Alex Ross

Most disappointing: John Byrne and Chris Claremont on JLA, which was used as a vehicle to restart Doom Patrol

Most overrated writer: Judd Winick

Worst writer: Chuck Austen

Best return: Colossus in Astonishing X-Men

Best series in need of a readership boost: Manhunter

Best comic if you're not a comic reader: Gotham Central

Best collection of previously published material: Star Trek: The Key Collection from Checker Books

Best new graphic novel: Elfquest: The Searcher and the Sword

Series everyone should be reading: She-Hulk and Plastic Man (tie)

Comic book that's the total package: Plastic Man

Best individual fill-in issue: Scott Morse's fill-in on Plastic Man 7

Filling some big shoes award: Paul Pellitier for filling the very big shoes of outgoing She-Hulk artist Juan Bobillo

Hoping for the best (eventually): Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond should have never died) and Doom Patrol

How's that for a best of 2004 list?

Mike Browning

I love your list. Don't agree with all of it, but it's a great list.

Best Writer: Brad Meltzer

Best Artist: Jim Lee

Best On Going Comic: Conan

Best Mini Series: Identity Crisis

Best Cover Artist: Alex Ross

Most Disappointing Writer: tie Devin Grayson and Brian Michael Bendis

Most Disappointing Storyline: War Games

Worst Artist: Humberto Ramos

Worst On Going Comic: Amazing Spider Man (harkening back to the Clone Saga)

Worst Mini Series: Identity Disc

Worst EIC: Joe Quesada

Most Overrated Talent in Comics: tie Michael Turner and Brian Bendis

Most Overrated Comic: the entire Ultimate line.

I agree that the worst written is the Sins Past storyline in Amazing Spider-Man. J. Michael Straczynski has written some good (not really great) stories, but this one was clearly a bad decision on his part. And it was an even worse decision to let this thing be printed on Marvel's part. Marvel's decision to cut out a lot of the sexual content in their comics in the post-Jemas age was probably a good thing, especially when Marvel's trying to reach a younger audience with its books. However, making Gwen Stacy a slut is something that should have fallen under that editorial edict.

Her's my best and worst of 2004 list. Remember, this is simply my opinion and should be taken as such. I hold no ill will to any of the creators I listed in my "worst" picks, but that's the way I feel this year. Next year, it could be different.

So, with that said, here they are:

The best written and drawn (Best Comic of the Year award) of 2004: Identity Crisis.

The best new series: She-Hulk

The best reason to take half a day off work and drive 115 miles to my local comic book store on Wednesday: Identity Crisis

Best book about comics: The Amazing World of Carmine Infantino from Vanguard Productions

Best Comic Book Magazine: Back Issue from Twomorrows (runner-up: Charlton Spotlight from Michael Ambrose and Argo Press)

Best penciller: Kyle Baker, Plastic Man

Best Inker: Michael Bair

Best cover artist: James Jean

Best story arc within an ongoing series: Thor: Ragnarok

Worst comic: Identity Disk

Worst artist: Michael Turner

Most overrated and overused comic artist: Alex Ross

Most disappointing: John Byrne and Chris Claremont on JLA, which was used as a vehicle to restart Doom Patrol

Most overrated writer: Judd Winick

Worst writer: Chuck Austen

Best return: Colossus in Astonishing X-Men

Best series in need of a readership boost: Manhunter

Best comic if you're not a comic reader: Gotham Central

Best collection of previously published material: Star Trek: The Key Collection from Checker Books

Best new graphic novel: Elfquest: The Searcher and the Sword

Series everyone should be reading: She-Hulk and Plastic Man (tie)

Comic book that's the total package: Plastic Man

Best individual fill-in issue: Scott Morse's fill-in on Plastic Man 7

Filling some big shoes award: Paul Pellitier for filling the very big shoes of outgoing She-Hulk artist Juan Bobillo

Hoping for the best (eventually): Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond should have never died) and Doom Patrol

How's that for a best of 2004 list?

Mike Browning

I forgot Best Writer! Okay, here it is, the Best Writer of 2004 is ... Brad Meltzer. Hands down. And I have to agree that Devin Grayson and Brian Michael Bendis are pretty disappointing writers. Sucks to be a reader of anything those two write. Daredevil plods along at a snails pace. Anyone who thought Bruce Jones' Hulk was slow should read Daredevil. It's slow as molasses!

I'd rather read the Daredevil stories in trade paperback form.

Grayson's work simply isn't any good. Speaking of disappointing writers, I'm quite disappointed in Gail Simone, too. Her work just doesn't keep me coming back month after month. It doesn't even get me to buy her books off the shelf. I'd love to see either of these two writers break out and really turn the comic book world on its ear, but I don't expect that to ever happen.

I thought Identity Crisis, whether you thought it good or bad, was the best thing to happen to comics in a long time simply because it got people reading. I mean, this miniseries got more coverage than many of comics' other "big" events. It had a great story and great art. I thought it was a much better story than Avengers Disassembled. Avengers: The Finale was terrible. It was like the last episode of Cheers and Seinfeld in that it was a big letdown. Whoo-hoo! Let's all get together and TALK about our greatest battles. Yeah, that sounds like a great reunion to me. Marvel must have said "Let's make this as hard to read as possible by jamming a bunch of artists into one book!" The best thing about The Finale was the Neal Adams cover — and even he isn't as good as he used to be!

Best Comic of 2004: Identity Crisis (DC Comics).

The best new series: Astonishing X-Men (Marvel)

The best hardcover collection: JLA/Avengers (Oversized) (DC/Marvel)

The best trade paperback collection: Plastic Man: On The Lam (DC Comics)

The best reason to talk about comics on the internet: Identity Crisis (DC Comics)

Best book about comics: Men of Tomorrow by Gerard Jones

Best Comic Book Magazine: the new format CBG

Best writer: Joss Whedon (Astonishing X-Men)

Best penciller: John Cassaday (Astonishing X-Men, Planetary)

Best Inker: Mike Bair (Identity Crisis)

Best cover artist: Alex Ross

Best story arc within an ongoing series: "Gifted" Astonishing X-Men 1-6 (Marvel)

Worst comic (tie): Alpha Flight, Avengers "Disassembled", Warlock, Guardians, Starjammers, etc.... actually, most of the Marvel line sucks big time (Marvel)

Worst artist: Pat Lee, X-Men/Fantastic Four (Marvel)

Most overrated and overused comic artist: Michael Turner (DC Comics)

Most disappointing: DC: The New Frontier (DC Comics)

Most overrated writer (tie): J. Michael Straczynski, Brian Michael Bendis

Worst writer: Gail Simone

Best return: Colossus in Astonishing X-Men (Marvel)

Best series in need of a readership boost (tie): Invincible (Image Comics), The Goon (Dark Horse)

Best comic if you're not a comic reader: Fables (DC/Vertigo)

Best collection of previously published material (3-way tie): Absolute Planetary (DC/Wildstorm), Magnus Robot Hunter 4000 AD (Dark Horse), Bone: One Volume (Cartoon Books)

Best new graphic novel: The Originals (DC/Vertigo)

Series everyone should be reading: Invincible (Image Comics)

Comic book that's the total package: Superman/Batman (DC)

Best individual fill-in issue: Dave Gibbons on JSA #66 (DC).

Best Comic of 2004: Conan

The best new series: Conan

The best hardcover collection: DC Rarities

The best reason to talk about comics on the internet: Identity Crisis (DC Comics)

Best book about comics: I'm bleeming on the title, the book about the beginning of the industry.

Best Comic Book Magazine: shockingly, Comic Book Marketplace

Best writer: Kurt Busiek, Conan

Best penciller: John Cassaday Astonishing X-Men, Planetary

Best Inker: Mike Bair

Best cover artist: Michael Turner

Best story arc within an ongoing series: Thor 80-85

Worst comic: So many to choose from. I'd have to go with Avengers Dissasembeld

Worst artist: Any of the manga artists

Most overrated and overused comic artist: Mike Wieringo

Most disappointing: Fantastic Four 511, Identity Crisis 7

Most overrated writer: J. Michael Straczynski

Worst writer: Straczynski

Best return: None. Dead characters need to start staying dead.

Best series in need of a readership boost: The Goon

Best comic if you're not a comic reader: The Goon

Best collection of previously published material: Bone: One Volume

Best new graphic novel: The Originals (DC/Vertigo)

Best single issue I read all year: Thor 82

Worst single issue I read all year: Avengers 503

Why did this book end?: Sentinel, Runaways

Guilty pleasure: Ultimate Fantastic Four

Book that I'm dropping because it is just getting too [#@$%!!!] stupid: Amazing Spider-Man

Series everyone should be reading: The Goon

Comic book that's the total package: Superman/Batman

My turn smile.gif (I'll use Donut's list as a template)

Best Comic of 2004: Superman/Batman

The best new series: Conan

The best trade paperback collection: The Ultimates Vol 1 Hardcover (nice Millar/Hitch extras)

The best reason to talk about comics on the internet: Identity Crisis (oh yeah thumbsup2.gif)

Best book about comics: Comic Wars

Best Comic Book Magazine: Alter Ego

Best Writer: Jeff Loeb

Best Writer (adaption): Kurt Busiek, Conan

Best penciller: John Cassaday, Brian Hitch

Best cover artist: Michael Turner

Best story arc within an ongoing series: Thor 80-85

Worst comic: The Whole Disassembled mess

Worst artist: Its a taste thing, but Jae Lee (Hulk/Thing: Hard Knocks)

Most overrated/overused comic artist: Joe Quesada (anyone see that New Avengers cover? Good lord! 27_laughing.gif)

Most disappointing: Avengers Finale, ASM

Most overrated writer: Brian Michael Bendis

Worst writer: Bendis again (When he is good he is good, when he is bad... uggghh)

Best series in need of a readership boost: She-Hulk

Best single issue I read all year: Identity Crisis #3 (the Deathstroke battle was awesome, and the mindwipe thing 893whatthe.gif)

Worst single issue I read all year: Avengers 503, Avengers Finale

Guilty pleasure: Supreme Power

Book that I'm dropping out of general principles: Anything Bendis

Comic book that's the total package: Superman/Batman

Best Mini Series = Identity Crisis

Worst Mini Series = Identity Crisis

Huh? Since I haven't read them yet maybe you can esplain me? Worst of 2004 was Avengers Discombobulated, best for me was Thor even though I was a tad disappointed with the short fight scene's and ending of the series but great art work and a decent storyline.

Best book about comics: I'm bleeming on the title, the book about the beginning of the industry.

gossip.gif " Men of Tomorrow " (I flipped through it recently in Barnes & Noble)

Another great book I saw was a Jack Kirby book full of reprints of his greatest hits (Red Raven #1, Captain America #1, Amazing Adventures #1, FF #48-#51, etc). 893applaud-thumb.gif

Best series in need of a readership boost: The Goon

Best comic if you're not a comic reader: The Goon

Series everyone should be reading: The Goon

thumbsup2.gif

Another great book I saw was a Jack Kirby book full of reprints of his greatest hits (Red Raven #1, Captain America #1, Amazing Adventures #1, FF #48-#51, etc).

gossip.gif That's the Marvel Visionaries: Jack Kirby HC

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?endeca=1&isbn=0785115749&itm=9

There's a Marvel Visionaries: Stan Lee HC due out in January.

http://www.marvel.com/catalog/showcomic.htm?id=1586&format=comic

Another great book I saw was a Jack Kirby book full of reprints of his greatest hits (Red Raven #1, Captain America #1, Amazing Adventures #1, FF #48-#51, etc).

gossip.gif That's the Marvel Visionaries: Jack Kirby HC

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?endeca=1&isbn=0785115749&itm=9

gossip.gif I know. There was a link to the book on Amazon in my post

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...=books&n=507846