• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Various Killing Joke page prices...

187 posts in this topic

As most of you know I was out of this hobby after 1994 and jumped back in a few years back and my has it changed.

Made some great friends and hope to make many more. Bought a few things privately and at auction.

Here is the one thing that I was told when I got back into it and you can't forget, BUY what you love so even if the sht hits the fan you will have something you truly value.

Is this an asset class? Yes.. I agree with Gene in the fact that most of the 2000% plus returns have occurred. It's just demographics and numbers. Can we still see 100% to 300% in 5 - 20 years? Perhaps, and at certain price points and certain pieces I would dare say for sure.

For the most part the easy money has been made and I think that is the real takeaway.

Just from a risk perspective I also agree that you should think about asset allocation as well. This has been an incredible ride and taking some chips off the table and having some discipline I don't think is a bad thing, just my opinion. As with anything though there will be opportunities both good and bad.

BTW it's Football Season!!!

Hey Ray, if it's not getting too personal, why the hobby break in '94? You are one of the biggest current players in the hobby right now and I'm wondering what drove you away and what got you back in.

And yes, it's football season. Go Chargers!

Scott

The Jets Won!!! We are few but proud :) Might have to hit the Charges/Jets game!!

You are very kind Scott! Nothing major but life. I graduated college in 1994 and went on a little rampage. Went to all the cons and bought a few pieces and made a few friends. It was crazy at that time and a lot of fun. SDCC and NYCC were just a blast. If only I had taken down the DKR art that was at the NYCC back then! Still have not been to SDCC since. Then the comic book landscape changed and I was married in 1996. Needed to focus on work and created a family.

In 2004 sold a company and was divorced in 2006. The girls and I traveled for a bit and had some amazing times together.

In 2011 I went online to see what the Original Art landscape was like and was amazed. Posted a few things on Comic Art Fans and things went from there. Have had some amazing times and made some fantastic friends. The fact that my daughters are getting into it, is a joy as well. We will be going to NYCC for the second time together.

Have continued to try and add a few pieces that have an emotional pull for me or art that I just flat out love. Trying to remain disciplined has not been easy with all the amazing art out there. Given today's pricing I do think that you have to be mindful of things and do your diligence. Sometimes you do have to go big or go home though.

As you can see from my gallery I was never really a DC guy except for Batman, Superman and Teen Titans. Wolvie has always been my favorite character.

Still looking for another Lee/Williams X-Men piece, Bolland Dredd, Hughes WW, Joe Mad X-Men, Finch- Cable with Baby Hope Cover, a Cloak and Dagger Cover and some more Spidey art.

Besides Original Art I dabble in Race Horses, Broadway and some things in Costa Rica. If I can ever be of help to a fellow board member please give a shout!

All the best,

Ray

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321522008300?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true

I'm sure a few of you were watching or even maybe bidding on this prelim panel. It was on CAF for a while with an "offers over $2K" price tag. Mentioned it to a few people and my guess was all bets would be off as this could be one of the few real shots that most people have at a decent image from the book. I thought $3500 would have been the top max bid (maybe it was).

Even though it's a small prelim I think it's a really really nice piece of the book.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321522008300?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true

I'm sure a few of you were watching or even maybe bidding on this prelim panel. It was on CAF for a while with an "offers over $2K" price tag. Mentioned it to a few people and my guess was all bets would be off as this could be one of the few real shots that most people have at a decent image from the book. I thought $3500 would have been the top max bid (maybe it was).

Even though it's a small prelim I think it's a really really nice piece of the book.

:banana:

I fended off a last minute snipe, with 6 seconds left, while on holiday, from my phone, with a giant gelato in my other hand. This was about double what I paid for my other KJ prelim, but to me it is a beautiful, key image from the book, nicely detailed, for a prelim. Very Bolland.

Those who know me know that *some* art will come and go through my collection, but the pieces I really treasure stick around. When I saw this, I knew it was the kind of piece that was the latter, not the former. And at an affordable price, as you say, which makes it all the better.

Now I just need to get Brian to sign this at an upcoming convention before I have it framed. doh!

Btw this is the full page 6 prelim. The Joker image was quite different than the final version. I assume Brian wanted to keep workshopping that panel, the first appearance of Joker in the book, as the owner notes. So the prelim on ebay was probably his next attempt, before going on to work on the actual published art. Just a guess.

[ KJ Page 6 Full Prelim

:banana:

I fended off a last minute snipe, with 6 seconds left, while on holiday, from my phone, with a giant gelato in my other hand. This was about double what I paid for my other KJ prelim, but to me it is a beautiful, key image from the book, nicely detailed, for a prelim. Very Bolland.

Those who know me know that *some* art will come and go through my collection, but the pieces I really treasure stick around. When I saw this, I knew it was the kind of piece that was the latter, not the former. And at an affordable price, as you say, which makes it all the better.

Now I just need to get Brian to sign this at an upcoming convention before I have it framed. doh!

Congratulations. I had been thinking it wouldn't be much longer before it changed galleries and then the auction popped up. Was certainly interesting to spectate.