• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman/Doomsday mutiple printing questions

103 posts in this topic

So I am thinking of collecting the 1992 Superman/Doomsday series as it has always been one of my favorite. Raw, not CGC

My question is which printings are the most rare or sought after?

So far I have been told

MOS #17 2nd printing

MOS #18 3rd,4th or 5th printing

MOS # 19 I don't know which one to look for?

I just purchased a Superman #684 3rd printing of eBay so let me know if this was a dumb decision.

What about #497 as a 2nd or 3rd print?

I just thought it might be cool to try and put this together but I am unsure as to what the best combination would be. I do intend on getting these CGC'd eventually!

thanks

Adv of Supes 497? 3rd print is worth way more than 1st or 2nd.

If only someone on the boards was selling a high grade copy that will probably end up being the highest slabbed copy....

IMG_27071_zps2de9d7d2.jpg [/img]

Hmmmmmm what are you hinting at?

Seriously though no one has any advice?

typically a later printing has a lower print run, making it more rare, sometimes significantly so, sometimes not..

Well that makes sense. Its funny I always would have thought that you would want the 1st edition, sort of like old books.

So does that mean that all later prints are therefore more collectable?

Mind you I'm not really going for what's worth the most as I'll never sell them, more so what is the most unique version of that specific book/cover.

I like the MOS #18 4th and 5th print just because it looks so different than the 1st..if they so happen to be more valuable, that's just a plus.

Well that makes sense. Its funny I always would have thought that you would want the 1st edition, sort of like old books.

Mind you I'm not really going for what's worth the most as I'll never sell them, more so what is the most unique version of that specific book/cover.

I like the MOS #18 4th and 5th print just because it looks so different than the 1st..if they so happen to be more valuable, that's just a plus.

I've heard the 4th printing is the lowest print run for MOS 18, then the 5th.

14568397335_d7a7b74195_o.jpgsuperman mos 18 4th and 5th together by dghmwyatt, on Flickr

I've heard the 4th printing is the lowest print run for MOS 18, then the 5th.

From who?

The rarest later printings are Action #686 2nd print, Adventures #499 3rd (2nd is 99% sure to not exist), MOS #20 2nd, and Superman #77 3rd.

Or are you only ending with Superman #75?

In that case, Superman #75 3rd and 4th newsstand are also very rare. MOS #19 3rd is quite rare, and both MOS #18 4th and 5th are fairly rare, too, especially in high grade. MOS #17 2nd is tough, Superman #73 2nd is tough, Adventures #496 and Action #683, not as tough, but tougher than the rest.

The rest of them are fairly common.

So which is a better buy:

Superman #74 3rd printing

Or

Superman #74 4th printing

Assuming Same price and Similar condition

If they aren't a crazy price then I would just get both. I am in the process of trying to get every print of these books and it is kind of fun.

The rarest later printings are Action #686 2nd print, Adventures #499 3rd (2nd is 99% sure to not exist), MOS #20 2nd, and Superman #77 3rd.

Or are you only ending with Superman #75?

In that case, Superman #75 3rd and 4th newsstand are also very rare. MOS #19 3rd is quite rare, and both MOS #18 4th and 5th are fairly rare, too, especially in high grade. MOS #17 2nd is tough, Superman #73 2nd is tough, Adventures #496 and Action #683, not as tough, but tougher than the rest.

The rest of them are fairly common.

Sorry I should have clarified that for just the MOS 18 4th and 5th printings are rare.

If Superman 75 4th print is rare, why are there so many on eBay for just a few dollars? Look at the sold listing, some for $2 or less. (shrug)

Rare doesn't always mean more sought after or more valuable, especially in terms of relative print runs. Too many other factors can play into it.

If Superman 75 4th print is rare, why are there so many on eBay for just a few dollars? Look at the sold listing, some for $2 or less. (shrug)

Rare doesn't always mean more sought after or more valuable, especially in terms of relative print runs. Too many other factors can play into it.

"Rare" is such a nebulous term. If something is readily available and cheap, I don't think of it as rare. Superman 75 4th print is not rare in my thinking. Yes, there may be less copies available than the 1st printing, but it is not hard to find by any stretch of the imagination. Even Milehigh has copies that aren't expensive, and you know Milehigh isn't known for their low prices, especially on scarcer issues.

It wasn't too long ago, I found a decent copy of a 4th print at a Goodwill store. I got really excited about buying it for only 99¢. Looked it up on eBay and had a big letdown. :P

I think the only ones I am missing are the platinum Superman 75 and the MOS 17 2nd print.

I have never found the Superman 75 reprints expensive at all. At one of my lcs's whenever they pick one up in a collection they usually just put in my file for me and charge me 1 thin dollar.

Well my Action #684 3rd printing that I thought I stole from eBay ended up being a regular 1st print. I emailed the seller after to make sure it had the Roman Numerals on it, and he said he just used a generic picture. Glad I found that out. I cancelled the purchase and he refunded back my account.

Well my Action #684 3rd printing that I thought I stole from eBay ended up being a regular 1st print. I emailed the seller after to make sure it had the Roman Numerals on it, and he said he just used a generic picture. Glad I found that out. I cancelled the purchase and he refunded back my account.

nice catch