• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

At least Heritage has the stones to follow through their auctions to the end

25 posts in this topic

I have been screwed by this practice a number of times -- including last year when I was the high bidder (at over $1k as I recall) with 4 other bidders and a bunch of watchers with several days to go -- then suddenly you get the email that the auction is over and all bids cancelled. Of course I contacted the seller. She told me she got an offer through Ebay, it was a price she wanted and she didn't have to wait until the auction ended, so she accepted. As simple as that. I was not happy of course.

In another case, a seller told me they accepted an offer that was literally about a 1/3 of what I was going to bid at the end of the auction (I and 2 others were bidders, although I wasn't the high bidder)

I get the seller's POV if the auction's been up for days, no bidders and they get an email with an offer--I'm not loving it but I get it and it is what it is. But if there are bidders and someone then makes a private offer through Ebay, it drives me crazy when the auction suddenly ends. If that's the way they want to run it, then the seller should put up a high BIN and accept Best Offers. Or let the auction run. Or disclose that they are open to private bids and to contact them (although that is likely against Ebay rules too) -- that at least puts everyone on a level playing field.

If that's the way they want to run it, then the seller should put up a high BIN and accept Best Offers. Or let the auction run. Or disclose that they are open to private bids and to contact them (although that is likely against Ebay rules too) -- that at least puts everyone on a level playing field.

(thumbs u