• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oral Roberts True Stories and Junior Partners

6 posts in this topic

I came across about 30 of these books in a recent collection and have never heard much about them. They range in age from 1956 - 1961 and they all have a sub crease, so I'm guessing it's a full subscription run. Is there any market for these? I see some on ebay for like $50 a piece but most of the issues aren't for sale anywhere. Have you guys seen these?

gZyrCtzl.jpg

Never seen these either, nor knew of their existence. I always associated the Christian comic genre in the U.S. to be more or less limited to the 1970s, but these, I guess, were forerunners. :shrug:

Incidentally, few probably realize that John Lennon corresponded with Oral Roberts in the late 1970s; it was part of a storyline of an apparently short-lived born-again Christian phase for Lennon. Pretty incredible story, actually--and reported by a totally credible longtime journalist/author out of England, Steve Turner.

Never seen these either, nor knew of their existence. I always associated the Christian comic genre in the U.S. to be more or less limited to the 1970s, but these, I guess, were forerunners. :shrug:

Incidentally, few probably realize that John Lennon corresponded with Oral Roberts in the late 1970s; it was part of a storyline of an apparently short-lived born-again Christian phase for Lennon. Pretty incredible story, actually--and reported by a totally credible longtime journalist/author out of England, Steve Turner.

Wow I had no idea Lennon was a born again Christian(even for a minute), I'm gonna have to find that story.

Wow I had no idea Lennon was a born again Christian(even for a minute), I'm gonna have to find that story.

I'm not sure if the reporting was original to Turner, but I read about it in his 2006 book, "The Gospel According to the Beatles." I'd recommend getting the book if you are even the slightest Beatles (or Lennon) fan.

Or you can click on the "LOOK INSIDE" feature (at the top of the image of the cover) and type in "Oral Roberts" and read some (or maybe all? :shrug:) of the story about the Lennon/Roberts connection.

http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-According-Beatles-Steve-Turner/dp/0664229832/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1410541966&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Gospel+According+to+the+Beatles