• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Water flooded whole condo..

27 posts in this topic

Woke up to the sound of running water at 6am this morning. After calling water evac company to remove approx 1 inch of water out of 900sqft where my comics were sitting on the floor.

I was looking at different ways of filing and sitting my comics and didn't buy the bookcase and wanted to wait. Well after the water removed and cleaning up, I decided to check the comics. Mostly are modern slabs from the 90's. Mid number runs of ASM and uxm. About 20 or so slabs have water condensation and the others were protected by the Mylar bags they were in as well as the hotflips box prevented some water to enter.

A few of my raws were totally destroyed.

:(

So has anybody here had issues with water date and insurance claims.

I do have condo insurance but don't have collectible insurance as my comics aren't highly expensive. I don't own AF15 or any book over $1k. Soy homeowners insurance would probably cover this personal property.

I had a flood and lost about 50 long boxes. Some pointers from my disaster:

1) File an insurance claim with everyone. Do it right away. You may not be covered, but file anyways.

2) Get every book that is OK out of the wet bags. Do it RIGHT NOW - the condensation may transfer.

3) Under NO circumstances get rid of anything that was destroyed until you hear about the insurance claim.

4) Start documenting everything.

5) Go through ALL of your boxes - even ones that you think are OK. Some bags leak. Nothing is more fun than finding a wet book eight months later.

6) Run dehumidifiers on full blast constantly.

7) It sucks.

@flyingdonut thanks

I've haven't thrown anything away. I will definitely claim my Hotlips CGC boxes. 3 got damaged and all the comics inside were 9.8's blue and yellows. Some of them have water inside but 1 was severely damaged. My other comics were raws that were affected that were wet inside and I couldn't take them out as to the water as made the paper stick to the plastic covers and taking them out would have destroyed it so I left it inside the bag for the insurance to see.

Really sorry to hear this… :(

How high the water was then, before you realized it was running? 1inch should not have damaged the books, if they were in Mylite bags. If the slabs were not bagged, I seem to get they are bound to get damaged more.

It happened a similar thing to me, but on a very small scale, as I left some water running in the bathroom by mistake. Luckily the water went with the slight inclination of the building, and thus entered the room where I sleep but not the one where I have the biggest part of my comics collection.

A number of books and other paper items were damaged (including a few historical posters from italian elections of the 1940s and a mini-poster which I received as a gift from Jack Kirby), but nothing serious.

But it was quite nightmarish as I did not recall what I had in the boxes, and beside some dictionaries, books et al. also someitalian historical comics fanzines (which will be hard to replace) were damaged.

But again, nothing compared to your case, really sorry!

i had this happen to me a few years ago. lost several books unfortunately (my dkr and killing joke amongst others) but saved a ton by moving quickly.

flying donuts advise is spot on with his advice. Key to saving books is to move quickly.

Take the books out of boxes / bags that were damaged. even if the box looks like its just a little wet, take it out and throw the box out. if some books got a little moisture, keep them away from all others. go through each of them one by one and make sure those pesky drops didnt hit any bags. if you see moisture on the outside of the bag, take the book out and dont risk it sneaking inside.

also make sure you go through all of your items. i had some key books in a box that i thought that there was no way water had damaged it, guess what - those were the books that were ruined because i didn't act on them first.

for insurance, the general rule of thumb is that if the leak happened inside the wall it is the buildings responsibility. outside is yours.

good luck. having gone through this, this situation sucks.

i now keep alot of my books in a big plastic tupperware bin and far far away from the bathroom and kitchen because of this. also i didnt have collectible insurance back then but i do now.

Really sorry to hear this… :(

How high the water was then, before you realized it was running? 1inch should not have damaged the books, if they were in Mylite bags. If the slabs were not bagged, I seem to get they are bound to get damaged more.

It happened a similar thing to me, but on a very small scale, as I left some water running in the bathroom by mistake. Luckily the water went with the slight inclination of the building, and thus entered the room where I sleep but not the one where I have the biggest part of my comics collection.

A number of books and other paper items were damaged (including a few historical posters from italian elections of the 1940s and a mini-poster which I received as a gift from Jack Kirby), but nothing serious.

But it was quite nightmarish as I did not recall what I had in the boxes, and beside some dictionaries, books et al. also someitalian historical comics fanzines (which will be hard to replace) were damaged.

But again, nothing compared to your case, really sorry!

I woke up to hear the noise of running water at around 6am but thought it was somebody outside watering the plants or water traveling through the pipes. Didn't think anything of it so went back to bed. Approx 10 mins later I keep hearing the noise so I got out of bed and when I put my feet on the group, it was wet and thought my dog pee on the ground but after 1 step, I realized it was a flood. After seeing water coming out of the refriderator I knew what was going on.

I'm a deep sleeper and I'm assuming it was about maybe an hour of water coming out as it has filled 832sqft and had about .5-.75 inch water. Probably more as it was leaked down to the business downstairs.

The slabs were in mylars but they're not waterproof. Some of the slabs has water inside the slabs.

I looked over my policy and the loss is covered as it's not a flood due to nature but it's a loss due to the appliance. I looked over my policy twice and didn't see anything as far as comics or books. Maybe it counts as art? I am covered up to $30k but going over my books, it's probably about $10k worth of books but we will have to see what the insurance decides to do.

I'm just worried about not getting sued by the business downstair but I do have $300k worth of liability coverage.