• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB RAW Pedigrees............

63 posts in this topic

Yes, it is recognized by CGC. It seems odd to me that all of the past couple collections Metropolis has found were recognized.. yet, it seems damn near impossible for anyone else to get a pedigree recognized by CGC. Metropolis must just be lucky with their finds smile.gif

Brian

Which recent collections has Metropolis found that have been recognized by CGC?

Who's "anyone else?"

Paperwork and providing a complete list works, so does the depth of the collection as well as the condition. Being that I've seen some of the "complete" collections purchased by Metropolis I would say that they do the "footwork" in order to get those "pedigrees"

Seondly, the collection I recently purchased (9000 books) is not 'complete' in my eyes, the collector sold certain runs which to me disqualifies it from a Pedigree even though the condiition of the books certainly does qualify it. I for one have always agreed with Joe Vernault that most (Not all) Silver age pedigrees are HYPE (Hope you pay enough) versus true pedigrees. But then again without Pedigrees what would become of pedigreecomics.com?

I for one have always agreed with Joe Vernault that most (Not all) Silver age pedigrees are HYPE (Hope you pay enough) versus true pedigrees.

thumbsup2.gif

I love the anagram HYPE - - -but sadly, I dont get it. WHo is the 'you' in question? the collector or the dealer buying the collection?

Seondly, the collection I recently purchased (9000 books) is not 'complete' in my eyes, the collector sold certain runs which to me disqualifies it from a Pedigree even though the condiition of the books certainly does qualify it. I for one have always agreed with Joe Vernault that most (Not all) Silver age pedigrees are HYPE (Hope you pay enough) versus true pedigrees. But then again without Pedigrees what would become of pedigreecomics.com?

I am confused by this, Mister Blazing! Are you saying a 9,000 book run as you recieved it (with those books being as you say "the condiition of the books certainly does qualify it.") would not be a pedigree in its own right? (I have to assume we are not talking about New Mutants/Alpha Flight/Dazzler here?).

Has any effort been put into documenting the sold pieces of the collection?

It actually raises an interesting question. Is a pedigree only a pedigree if the entire collection is intact?

To me, even 9,000 book in grade collected first run by a single collector should amount to a pedigree. And if the books are sufficiently nice to warrant the complete collection being a pedigree, then someone should start investigating!

I for one have always agreed with Joe Vernault that most (Not all) Silver age pedigrees are HYPE (Hope you pay enough) versus true pedigrees. But then again without Pedigrees what would become of pedigreecomics.com?

Is that another dig at Doug or are you just poking fun? Can't think of a more pleasant guy to deal with so what's up.

Doug's just one of the items on the list of 5,000 things that burn Mr. Storm's asss at the moment. Can't wait for another of those infinitely entertaining song parodies.....you know....the one's you thought were cool in Mad magazine when you were 12.

Of course he could spend the time focusing on upgrading his site, but he'd rather play his tiny violin.

To me the significant part of the 9000 book collection is missing, ie FF #1 - 75, AS #1-100, JIM #83-110, TOS #39 - 75, X-Men #1-66, having Sgt Fury #1 up, DD #1 up, all the post 66 stuff doesn't a pedigree make.

Yes all the bronze is there, yes there are 900 high grade magazines that are part of the collection but what exactly is pedigree about it? I can't document what he sold because he sold off pieces over the years, I have no idea where the books wound up.

Poke fun at Doug? Of course I wouldn't poke fun at a comic junkie who pushed prices on most collections up because "he had to have them", then sold them off when the next best thing came around.

Let's see, Winnipeg's, Golden States, The Smokey closet collection, The backseat collection, Bostons, Mass Collection, Northlands, White Mountains, Pacific Coasts are the latest fix. How could I forget, "I know the price is high but buy it for your head". As if the comic could be rolled up and smoked like a joint so I could breathe in it's essence. The only man who keeps talking hoping to wear you down on price. I've had multiple dealings that ran for hours until one of us gave in.

Poke fun at the collector who singlehandily competed for every new high grade book that would come into the market even though he had multiple copies? I was a collector before I started dealing, I had to listen to dealers over and over again say this was on hold or I can't discount because Doug will buy it. And if the dealer was "out to lunch" with pricing it didn't deter him. Which meant that the reason why many dealers still price "out to lunch" is because they feel that another Doug is out there.

He was the pre "Bill Hughes JP the Mint buyer". Everybody was glad to see him and hoped he had enough checks in his checkbook.

He was the pre "Bill Hughes JP the Mint buyer". Everybody was glad to see him and hoped he had enough checks in his checkbook.

Is "Bill Hughes JP the Mint buyer" still buying books? I thought he quit buying when it became apparent his nerd coin-collecting buddies weren't interested... confused-smiley-013.gif

Real Deal Pedigrees

Curators - To me this is the MILE HIGH OF Silver age. When seen raw the page quality blows away many of the other collections of it's time. I've seen many of them, I saw the X-Men #1 raw. When you see white pages the only other collection that rivals this is the Spokane collection.

White Mountains were one of the first, it's deep with Atlas/Marvel and it's significant because of multiple copies. Can be identified which makes them more recognizable. To me it has better #1's. However it has been "handled" more over the years which probably affected how it CGC graded vs the Pacific Coasts.

Bethlehams - covers multiple genres and depending how often they have been handled raw takes them down a notch for me personally. The dust shadow and page quality were always a concern for me when looking at Bethlehams.

Massachussetts Collection - One of the earlier pedigrees with great page quality. Pre CGC this was the collection that put Marnin on the map. Because Marnin kept most of the earlier issues you were never sure what you could buy. This was the year that I was one of Marnin's best customers. I called him month after month and watched my want list prices go up and up because it took him so long to grade it. I was the 2nd buyer in, this is one collection where if I could go back in time I'd buy a whole different list of books.

Northland - documented but does have some weak runs with bad paper quality. I saw the Northlands at the 1st Chicago show when Mike Goldman unveiled them. I personally passed because of the pricing, even Tommy B. passed on some of the books but he did buy some.

Pacific Coasts - Boasted to be the Mile High of Silver age with it's depth, I'm not so sure about that. Are many of these books still in the same grade that they started out in?

Borderline

Winnipeg - This collection does have some books with Dennis Kelso's name spread across the top. I did buy some of the books that didn't have the name, yes they were nice but the Golden State collection which Dan didn't pedigree to me had better books.

Boston - The collection that never stops giving. How many Showcase 60's in NM?, How many Captain America's in from 101-113 in NM? Can you say lots of them? Feel comfortable with that little certificate stating it's from the Boston collection. Ever had a collector tell you that a book was from the Boston collection even though the dealer (Me) knew it came from another collection since I was the one who bought the book, sold it and it came back to me?

Mohawk Valley - A pedigree that sends up a flare based on the fact that many of the books I've seen have tan pages. I've seen the Flash #105 with brillant colors and toast colored pages, made me want to cry. A pedigree where many people "lose" the cert.

Hype

"A" type collections: Assembled collections are nothing more than attempts to "spin" a lineage, a story to the books. As if the buyer added some value to the books. Examples would be the Overstreet Collection, Nicolas Cage, Northern Lights is the latest "spin".