• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I received an interesting phone call last week...

495 posts in this topic

From this older lady who lived around town who said she had a box of comics that came out of her husband's closet. She was nice and I asked her to describe some of them and she said there were some Superman's and some Detectives. Pretty good I thought.

So we end up meeting and I look through the box and there are some decent Golden Age books, but nothing too great at the time, or so I thought. I asked her how much she wanted to sell the box for and she said she had some bills to pay and needed around $1500. I wasn't sure if the box was worth $1500 but based on the few Superman's I saw, I figured if they were complete, I'd at least break even.

So I paid her the ask and took the books home. Initially I wasn't thrilled as many of the books were coverless and a few had missing wraps. Most of the GA books were early 40's. I counted around 20 books, again, most of which were incomplete.

As I got near the bottom, we struck GOLD. I could not believe my eyes as a Top 10 GA key book was laying there. The cover was split but it appeared everything was there. So I overnighted the book to CGC and had a walk-through done. Today, it came back 1.0 blue!

The book just arrived back from CGC and I'll be posting pics around lunch. So excited!! Just in the right place at the right time!

Well, I can only assume you'll go back and pay the woman more money, right?

He paid the woman HER price. Still, it would be the right thing to do.

As you say he paid HER price but in my opinion he shouldn't go back and give more

Sorry...

My comment was a joke.

He paid her what she requested and it looks like -- even if there's an interesting key -- it was not that less than what others would've given.

People are in this to make money. We don't have to be the angels on the shoulders of dealers telling them that they need to pay a certain amount.