• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can a 9.8 be pressed into a 9.9?

69 posts in this topic

Yeah but it's likely a million to one longshot. If you are sitting on a 9.8 why take the risk.

Yeah, if a cat farts on a 9.8, it's now a 9.6. A dog a 9.4. I've seen documentation.

Seriously though, any tiny thing they missed when grading it a 9.8 comes back into play.

lol, yeah it can always become a risk when you re-sub the comic again

Hey guys I just saw a post of a thread that gave me an idea can a 9.8 comic be pressed into a 9.9? If so what factors does it depend on to make the grade bump up higher?

this thread comes up a lot, I've made a more complicated version once myself.

Here's what I believe is the correct answer:

A 9.9 and 10.0 cannot be "created" by pressing. However, a book with pressable defects which is otherwise already a 9.9/10.0, could have its potential restored.

So, pressing can maximize an existing books potential, but the differences between a 9.8/9.9/10.0 are not pressable defects. If your book is a true 9.8, with non-pressable defects, pressing it can't change it.

thanks so what are pressable defects?

It'd be handy to know a definitive list of qualities that a 9.9 has vs a 9.8 from the perspective of the graders. Then one might be in a better position to know if there's room for improvement.

Beyond that, it's apparent that there's some high degree of subjectivity whilst grading. If that weren't true, someone like Joey couldn't get a full 2 point bump by just cracking and resbumitting wtihout pressing.

It is possible. I've seen it done one time. Probably never again.

Started life as a lowly 9.8.

06BF4CC2-E12D-45C8-8378-619EA3B79FBA-15444-00000B081B723BDC.jpg

hm

That wasn't the one I sold you, was it?

If so, that's pretty damn cool!

No, this was another copy. But yours was pretty sweet, too.