• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books leading up to Doomsday

12 posts in this topic

As I am trying to put this multiple print collection together I stumbled upon this Superman #496 2nd print, that has the "Doomsday is Coming" in the bottom.

Is this relevant as far as completing the collection is concerned?

Are there any other books that lead up to MOS #17 and #18?

I found these cheap on eBay. What's their significance to the Doomsday story?

As far as I can tell they don't have multi print copies which wouldn't match my collection however it might be nice to add these to the CGC pile.

Waste of money or no??

As far as I can tell they don't have multi print copies which wouldn't match my collection however it might be nice to add these to the CGC pile.

Waste of money or no??

Each issue of the Superman series have a single page at the end of the book with Doomsday punching a wall. Those books are Man of Steel #17, Superman #73, Adventures of Superman # 496 and Action # 683. I believe each of those has a second print. Then the full-on Doomsday story starts in Man of Steel #18, and continues in Justice League America #69, Superman #74, Adventures of Superman #497, Action Comics #684, Superman: Man of Steel #19, and concludes in Superman #75. Many of those books have multiple printings but I don't know the specifics on each. Many of these books and printings also have newsstand editions, but again I'm not sure if all printings have them. (Certainly at least the first print of each should.)

Waste of money or no??

Each issue of the Superman series have a single page at the end of the book with Doomsday punching a wall. Those books are Man of Steel #17, Superman #73, Adventures of Superman # 496 and Action # 683. I believe each of those has a second print. Then the full-on Doomsday story starts in Man of Steel #18, and continues in Justice League America #69, Superman #74, Adventures of Superman #497, Action Comics #684, Superman: Man of Steel #19, and concludes in Superman #75. Many of those books have multiple printings but I don't know the specifics on each. Many of these books and printings also have newsstand editions, but again I'm not sure if all printings have them. (Certainly at least the first print of each should.)

See now that's what I needed to see. So what's the significance of Action#682 and Superman Special #1???

Waste of money or no??

See now that's what I needed to see. So what's the significance of Action#682 and Superman Special #1???

I have no clue what (if anything) is up with Action #682. Regarding the Superman Special, there was speculation at the time of the Death storyline that the clue to how Superman was going to be brought back was in that issue, but that theory wasn't accurate, so I don't think there's anything important there.

Weird that they would have the "Doomsday is coming" at the bottom if there was no real tie in to the story. Ill pass on those for now besides they're cheap of eBay anyways ..

thanks for the help !

Not really. DC used the UPC box for all kinds of advertising and slogans for years until DMs also got bar codes.

150020.jpg.505ba77f14fe10d09be8e278715954b7.jpg

Weird that they would have the "Doomsday is coming" at the bottom if there was no real tie in to the story. Ill pass on those for now besides they're cheap of eBay anyways ..

thanks for the help !

Not really. DC used the UPC box for all kinds of advertising and slogans for years until DMs also got bar codes.

Exactly. It was basically treated as ad space. The reason behind that is this; Printing is done with four colors: cyan, magenta, yellow, and black. All of the copies going to the newsstand need a UPC, which prints as black only. If the direct editions keep the box, they can use the same print run for both editions for the cyan, magenta, and yellow plates. Then they split the black run into two runs, one with the UPC, and they can play a bit with the black plate on the direct edition. In addition to the little ads, sometimes it's a black-only logo (which is why on some comic covers, there will be a black logo in the box that looks lighter than the black surrounding it. That's because the surrounding black also has bits of cyan, magenta, and yellow in it, to make it a richer black.

thanks for the help !

That's sexy, seeing them all lined up like that.