• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK Folks Shipping TO The States

10 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

This is mainly aimed at the UK guys here I guess, but I am looking for some advice regarding sending comics to the states. I have previously sent some lower value books over and did it via the Post Office (only needed insurance up to £250 at the time), but now I have a high value book (somewhere around £700, so the next insurance bracket is around £1k) the price via the PO has skyrocketed.

It's not the end of the world I guess, but the woman at the counter when I went for a quote said 'I don't want to turn away your custom, but you should try a courier..',

Anyone have any advice?

Cheers!

Paul

I never sold stuff above certain amounts, but if I do, I would probably feel enough safe either with an expedite form of shipping (if the UK postal service provides it) or with a courrier as the clerk suggested.

I never used courriers so far, but would do for a higher amount: DHL, FedEx or some other one available here. :)

If you don't have a business service that you can mooch off of then it's not a bad idea to use a couple of the comparison sites around like parcelmonkey. A quick google search for international parcel quote will bring up a few of them and ones like parcelmokey takes seconds for a quick quote ou can refine after.

I just popped in something with rough dimensions and 750g weight then tweaked it for up to £1000 insurance and it comes out at a little under £40 to send insured with one company.

Hi Folks,

This is mainly aimed at the UK guys here I guess, but I am looking for some advice regarding sending comics to the states. I have previously sent some lower value books over and did it via the Post Office (only needed insurance up to £250 at the time), but now I have a high value book (somewhere around £700, so the next insurance bracket is around £1k) the price via the PO has skyrocketed.

It's not the end of the world I guess, but the woman at the counter when I went for a quote said 'I don't want to turn away your custom, but you should try a courier..',

Anyone have any advice?

Cheers!

Paul

Flaming_Telepath & gaz973 are probably the best people to ask

Hi Folks,

Anyone have any advice?

Cheers!

Paul

Flaming_Telepath & gaz973 are probably the best people to ask

I was going to say the exact same..with your name in there!

Just woke up to a cry for help via master communicator Ed. If it can help the debate I use Royal Mail for items under say about $700 which switches to USPS when it hits the States. Use tracked for high value books or Parcelforce for parcels over 2kg. I must admit I wing it on insurance. Fully tracked tends to be handle with more care as it has to be scanned multiple times during its journey. When I ship multiple books to auctions I always use FedEx. I've never used people like Parcelmonkey although I have friends (I do have some ) that do. Provided the books are packaged well no damage will occur. Some of the guys here will vouch for that. I may be tempting fate but I can say that ( so far ) I have not had any problems that I can recall except twice many years ago when I first started to ship books. That resulted in cracked slabs due to poor packing but nothing worse.