• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK-- who hit the notify (Marvel) Mods button on Spider-Woman?

106 posts in this topic

she's paired up in the film with a 20-year-old boyfriend. And -- I kid you not -- he carries around a laminated copy of a Texas statute sanctioning their technically illegal relationship

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nikki-gloudeman/not-ok-michael-bay-transf_b_5549427.html

From the headline and opening of that piece, I thought the character in question must be about 12 or 13. In fact she's 17.

In 2014 showing a 17-year-old girl as sexually active is some kind of outrage??

I'm just glad this poorly drawn fan art won't see the light of day. Bad drawings, sexy or not, shouldn't be on the cover of anything other than a fanzine.

Dan

Nope, it will still be published. The two pieces that were cancelled are for Thor 2 and one of the Axis books. The Spider-Woman detached head cover will be shipped as ordered.

I'm just glad this poorly drawn fan art won't see the light of day. Bad drawings, sexy or not, shouldn't be on the cover of anything other than a fanzine.

Dan

Nope, it will still be published. The two pieces that were cancelled are for Thor 2 and one of the Axis books. The Spider-Woman detached head cover will be shipped as ordered.

:sick: I hope people enjoy their variants.

Dan

she's paired up in the film with a 20-year-old boyfriend. And -- I kid you not -- he carries around a laminated copy of a Texas statute sanctioning their technically illegal relationship

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nikki-gloudeman/not-ok-michael-bay-transf_b_5549427.html

From the headline and opening of that piece, I thought the character in question must be about 12 or 13. In fact she's 17.

In 2014 showing a 17-year-old girl as sexually active is some kind of outrage??

Certainly not in the UK. However, taking that one any further will undoubtedly drift off further into the realms of politics. I only wanted to use some other examples to kinda ask if Marvel's choice of cover art is really that important when you zoom out a bit and say notice what is going on in the first film of 2014 to take $1 billion at the box office? The print run and circulation of Spider Woman (especially a limited variant of) is a fricking brief blip on the radar next to it.

Yes there is a point to be made, but it seems like it's not exactly worthy of all the press it has garnered. Maybe it's a sign of things to come: "Dawn of the Planet of the SJWs"... or just something that has already happened.

It makes me wonder how Manara's cover specifically has gotten so much press?

I'm going to guess Marvel using "The View" to pimp Lady Thor probably put them in the crosshairs of every divisive hack on the planet. There's an entire industry around seeking things to be offended by and being a momentary center-stage darling isn't going to outweigh shredding you to bloody-bits if it serves their unending need.

Industry? Who do you suppose the criticism of the objectification of women is financially benefitting? And one hardly needs to go "seeking" this sort of thing. It's pretty much all around. Instances like this are so blatant that they're pretty clear-cut examples of what is going on.

The most ironic is a magazine like Elle that objectifies women to the utmost as sex objects, consumers of beauty products, and constantly needing to read how to keep their boyfriend interested tries to take the moral high ground...

I'm going to guess Marvel using "The View" to pimp Lady Thor probably put them in the crosshairs of every divisive hack on the planet. There's an entire industry around seeking things to be offended by and being a momentary center-stage darling isn't going to outweigh shredding you to bloody-bits if it serves their unending need.

Industry? Who do you suppose the criticism of the objectification of women is financially benefitting? And one hardly needs to go "seeking" this sort of thing. It's pretty much all around. Instances like this are so blatant that they're pretty clear-cut examples of what is going on.

Selective faux outrage is a means of keeping people divided and agitated, us vs. them, probably the oldest power-grab tactic on the books. Conflicts sell. Coffers fill.

Look, comic books have never been divorced from Pop Culture, and you barely have to dip your toe in to see how ridiculously stupid the whole Spider-Woman hysteria is. Spend just a few seconds on YouTube/Music or use your VEVO app to check out top acts. You'd have to be blind not to notice there's a celebration of women's butts going on, primarily by female artists. It's practically an asswar right now to see who can bring the highest level of erotica to the playing field. Competition is fierce.

If the Spider-Woman "objectification of women" outrage was genuine it would be seen all across the board. It isn't. Comic books still carry a perception of being "male dominated", making comics both target-rich and safe for all the professional haters looking to stir things up. But toss that Manara over into the Music Scene and it wouldn't even twing their Richter scale. She ain't got da' boom, yo.

Selective faux outrage is a means of keeping people divided and agitated, us vs. them, probably the oldest power-grab tactic on the books. Conflicts sell. Coffers fill.

Look, comic books have never been divorced from Pop Culture, and you barely have to dip your toe in to see how ridiculously stupid the whole Spider-Woman hysteria is. Spend just a few seconds on YouTube/Music or use your VEVO app to check out top acts. You'd have to be blind not to notice there's a celebration of women's butts going on, primarily by female artists. It's practically an asswar right now to see who can bring the highest level of erotica to the playing field. Competition is fierce.

If the Spider-Woman "objectification of women" outrage was genuine it would be seen all across the board. It isn't. Comic books still carry a perception of being "male dominated", making comics both target-rich and safe for all the professional haters looking to stir things up. But toss that Manara over into the Music Scene and it wouldn't even twing their Richter scale. She ain't got da' boom, yo.

One would have to be "selective" about what one criticizes because there aren't enough hours in the day to do otherwise. This particular incident is important because Marvel pointed to this specific series as an example of what they are doing that's positive for women.

One would have to be "selective" about what one criticizes because there aren't enough hours in the day to do otherwise. This particular incident is important because Marvel pointed to this specific series as an example of what they are doing that's positive for women.

All I'm saying is something like Spider-Woman may do what? Fifty to 75 thousand a month? Or say a hundred thousand. And the Manara would be an 'only-by-request' variant, a very small percentage of a first issue. Drawn art of a superhero character.

Then by comparison the Nicki Minaj Anaconda music video shows over 200 million views for a month. And the Jennifer Lopez, Iggy Azalea Booty shows close to 3 million in the week it's been out.

So outraged bloggers and tabloids genuinely concerned for women and looking for actual pop influences could interview actual female artists, creators and performers. Or their gazillion female consumers. Bring up all the harm, the degradation, the objectification, the offensiveness, and explain it to them. Why waste time on an Italian cartoonist and his weird depiction of a fictional superhero?