• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Guide Question

64 posts in this topic

I'll second the idea of having grades for different categories of the book, similar to the baseball card scan provided .

I sold several comic books (raw) on E-bay and included a grading breakdown. I basically took the OGG categories of binding, staples, paper quality, etc. and gave a description of each. I received a good response and the auctions tended to sell for a higher price. IMHO it's a more thorough and accurate description of the book. All that's missing is a numerical scale for each category. Of course I'm sure that will open it's own can of worms...

foreheadslap.gif

My suggestion would be for more close up scans. What was available in the 1st edition, but lacking in the 2nd, were pictures that give me a visual as to what type of flaw is allowed in a certain grade. The tiny scans in the 2nd edition didn't help me identify what I'm looking for. I appreciate the attempt at explaining the defects allowed and not allowed, but a picture is worth - well, you know.

My suggestion would be for more close up scans. What was available in the 1st edition, but lacking in the 2nd, were pictures that give me a visual as to what type of flaw is allowed in a certain grade. The tiny scans in the 2nd edition didn't help me identify what I'm looking for. I appreciate the attempt at explaining the defects allowed and not allowed, but a picture is worth - well, you know.

I brought this up before. Create a nice visual glossary. Close up pictures of different kinds of defects, show people what they really look like. Being able to see foxing, rust migration, staining vs. soiling, blunt corner vs. rounded corner, etc would be a boon to the newbie and experienced grader alike.

Second, I would like to see some kind of extended collector-oriented poll to gather opinions/information regarding which defects should be allowed in which grade. Nobody would ever agree on everything, but most everybody would agree of some things. That could form a good base for the grade descriptions. (Which may be what you already did, for all I know.)

Oh, and third, no CGC slabs in the guide. Since they don't publish or seem to adhere to any grading standards that any of us recognize, it seems kind of weird to have them showcased in a grading guide. Besides, they're soft on older books.

PS - fourth, how about a nifty section on resto detection?

Oh, and btw - if a grade allows a 1/2" corner crease, let's show a picture of a 1/2" corner crease. sumo.gif

Contrary to what's been stated about the so-called thousand different kinds of defects - I seriously doubt there are any more than 20 - A crease by any other name, still smells (as sweet) insane.gif

"Second, I would like to see some kind of extended collector-oriented poll to gather opinions/information regarding which defects should be allowed in which grade. Nobody would ever agree on everything, but most everybody would agree of some things. That could form a good base for the grade descriptions. (Which may be what you already did, for all I know.)"

Precisely. Lots of people from the biggest names in the industry to those who simply love collecting comics all participated and had their say.

Arnold

No, it can't be, as we have no specific plans for the third edition just yet. Not sure what this is you're seeing as listed for March '05. Can you provide more info? Where did you see this?

The second edition of the OGG is the only currently available version of the Grading Guide. It came out in December 2002/January 2003 and was available in two covers - one through the direct market with Inc Hulk #181 on the cover, and a more generic cover from Random House for bookstores. And that's it at the moment.

Arnold

The second edition of the OGG is the only currently available version of the Grading Guide. It came out in December 2002/January 2003 and was available in two covers - one through the direct market with Inc Hulk #181 on the cover, and a more generic cover from Random House for bookstores.

You mean I own the "Bookstore variant"?!? foreheadslap.gif

If it has big huge text on the front with a white background, then yup, that's the bookstore version. The blue and yellow cover with Hulk #181 is the edition for the direct market.

Is the Bookstore variant worth getting slabbed? stooges.gifpoke2.gif

Sure, I think a 10.0 Bookstore Edition just went for over $10,000 on eBay. And that, of course, is a complete and utter lie.

Arnold

And mine's quite beat-up (5.5 FN-) "Moderate" creasing insane.gif

Recently I bought a second edition of the OGG that says Printed Jan 03. However I see that another OGG will be offered in March 05 with a different cover... is that the third edition? Thx a lot!

Why do I want to believe him, regardless of Arnold's denial?

Sure, I think a 10.0 Bookstore Edition just went for over $10,000 on eBay. And that, of course, is a complete and utter lie.

Arnold

And mine's quite beat-up (5.5 FN-) "Moderate" creasing insane.gif

Mine has pages detached. acclaim.gif

Glue these suckers better next time, Arnold. sumo.gif We actually use them so they need to be sturdier.