• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

War Stocks or War Comics???

22 posts in this topic

Just made me think.. what about Uncanny X-Men 166 - first Lockheed the Dragon?

If a studio wanted to add the Disney touch to an X-Men film? hm

People don't often look at the risk/reward tradeoffs of these scenarios. A good test might be to look at short term average gains and volatility (fluctuations) of each and compare. These types of 'movie' comic bets have very little historical data to make reasonable bets around.

My personal opinion is that at the end of the day, you have an awesome comic in your hands to read, while that's not always the case in stocks. It's amazing how the whole comic industry seems to be changing into 'mom and pop flipper' operations (as evidenced by the recent preponderance of threads on these issues here).

You think Our Army at War #83 is a "movie comic bet"?

You think it isn't?

As we are continuing our 'hypothetical' discussion. Sure. I'm sure a lot of speculators might imagine Sgt. Rock could become a movie and thus prices might skyrocket in the short run. Why not?

If you are going to try to analyze how it might perform against a stock in the future, you should probably take that into consideration.

It seems to me this hypothetical situation is broken into two types of speculation. Movie speculation and stock market speculation. Stocks to me seem too volatile, while comics especially OAAW #83 appears that once it reaches a particular height in terms of value, will not decrease much. However once a stock reaches a particular value,dividends aside (what is the dividend?)it is IMO not likely to increase greatly.( I think of apple) So in relation to the comic book short and steady wins the race. Buy low sell high, before the movie speculation that is. I would favor OAAW#83 9.2.

Comick1 Offline

Chatzilla

Originally Posted By: H0RR0RSH0W

Anybody know the scoop on the Church OAAW#83, if there is such a thing? No reported pedigree sales at all on GPA

I'm unaware of any DC war books amongst the Church collection. There WERE comics that Church purchased as late as 1962 (and a few later?), but the runs petered out quite a bit by the mid-50s as I recall. . .and I don't know of a single Church copy of ANY DC war book much less an OAAW 83.

That WOULD be cool, though, if it DID exist.

Well, I was an underbidder on the recent Comiclink sale of OAAW # 83, CGC 5.5 at $2,300. It sold for $2,400 and was a steal at that price. At that price, I'd put its investment value over the next 48 months up against the % gains of the Lockheed stock. And both would be taxed at the capital gains rate, so...

Well, I was an underbidder on the recent Comiclink sale of OAAW # 83, CGC 5.5 at $2,300. It sold for $2,400 and was a steal at that price. At that price, I'd put its investment value over the next 48 months up against the % gains of the Lockheed stock. And both would be taxed at the capital gains rate, so...

That, Sir, is one of the nicest 5.5's Ive seen in a while. I was watching that auction too and I agree that was a steal. That's a terrific copy!