• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel & Jack Kirby Heirs Settle Legal Battle Ahead Of Supreme Court Showdown

112 posts in this topic

It's fairly common knowledge how many pages Jack got back- someone will chime in, I think.

I don't remember the number either, but it's much closer to what you're saying.

And what Jack had to go through to get it, compared to other artists - Marvel essientially strong-armed him into signing a document that was 20 times larger than anyone else had to sign to get their art, only to receive an insignificantly small portion of his output for the company.

What was an average Kirby page selling for in 1986 - $25?

That same document he signed was used against his estate in these court battles.

Pretty nice of Disney to settle with the Kirby's considering all he did was ride Stan's coat tails.

I kid! I kid!

:foryou: Chuck

Now offer something controversial about Star Wars. :popcorn:

That guy in Kirby Collector exagerrated- he said there were huge stacks of pages everywhere. A foot and a half stack of pages is not 'huge stacks everywhere'

That guy in Kirby Collector exagerrated- he said there were huge stacks of pages everywhere. A foot and a half stack of pages is not 'huge stacks everywhere'

Regardless of the exact number returned, it wasn't close to being everything. When I think of poor Jack trying to sell the pages he did get back for a meager amount, and then think about how filthy rich Stan Lee is today....just sad.

Also, I know that I read somewhere that a guy working for Stan said something about a storage locker Stan rents or owns filled with O/A....anyone know or hear about that?

I don't think it was Stan's call about the art-I think he would have had no problem returning it all to Kirby.

Anyway Kirby wasn't living in poverty by any means he had a large luxurious house with built in pool on the West Coast when the 1900 pages were returned to him.

Curt Swan-now there's a guy who died in poverty.

Anyway Kirby wasn't living in poverty by any means he had a large luxurious house with built in pool on the West Coast when the 1900 pages were returned to him.

Curt Swan-now there's a guy who died in poverty.

I know Jack wasn't living in poverty, it's just kind of sad to think of the great wealth Stan has amassed as the front man for Marvel and Jack (who in my opinion created a HUGE part of the Marvel universe) is simply known as the "King", without any "Royalties" that should go with such a title.

Jack could have taken art director job and been equally rich. He chose the freedom of free agent. Life is a give and take.

Jack could have taken art director job and been equally rich. He chose the freedom of free agent. Life is a give and take.

+1

Kirby had numerous opportunities to take wealth and he seemed reluctant to take them. The same could probably be said to Ditko to a lesser degree.

Stan wanted to be the front man and he relished in the position.

If someone wants to get ahead and takes greater responsibilities and is rewarded for it he's not the 'bad guy'.

If someone declines a promotion they dont get to whine about the other guy's success.

+1

Kirby had numerous opportunities to take wealth and he seemed reluctant to take them.

Wrong. Nowhere is their an example of Kirby turning down 'wealth'.

Jack could have taken art director job and been equally rich. He chose the freedom of free agent.

Wrong.

True

Comics alliance interview with Stan Lee

http://comicsalliance.com/stan-lee-interview-playboy-jack-kirby-steve-ditko-marvel-artwork-disney-movies-controvery-wealth/

On the lingering controversy surrounding Lee’s work with Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko:

“There was never a time when it just said ‘by Stan Lee.’ It was always ‘by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko’ or ‘by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.’ I made sure their names were always as big as mine. As far as what they were paid, I had nothing to do with that. They were hired as freelance artists, and they worked as freelance artists. At some point they apparently felt they should be getting more money. Fine, it was up to them to talk to the publisher. It had nothing to do with me. I would have liked to have gotten more money too. And twice, not once, I offered a job to Jack Kirby. I said to him, ‘Jack, why don’t you work for Marvel with me?’ I was the art director at the time. I said, ‘You be the art director. I’ll just be the editor and head writer, and you’ll have that security.’ He wouldn’t do it. He didn’t want a staff job. With him, as with Ditko, I don’t see where they were unfairly treated. Jack was a great guy and so is Steve. I’m sorry anybody feels there’s any acrimony. I loved them both.”