• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Thor is...hot??

85 posts in this topic

I've been reading old Thors and Odin is kinda stupid and kinda an a-hole. Many times did Thor save his spoon but never once did Odin save Thor. And he was constantly taking away his powers and banishing him.

Here's some cases where Odin helped Thor (maybe not always directly... but)..

http://www.comicvine.com/the-odin-force/4015-35070/

That got me to thinking. Why don't they start a series (or have they) about Odin's younger days? hm

Certainly, he'd have some cool stories to tell about the nine realms and days of yore.

Anyways, my vote for a pop (ok, maybe not literal Dad, but pretty much close)... doing some serious backup for his apprentice was when the Ancient One literally put Eternity in a headlock to save Dr. Strange. That one scene always blew me away.

Yeah it seems Odin never helped Thor directly only when he was saving all of Asgard in the process-like with Mangog. They should do a younger days of Odin where he shot his eye out with a bb gun....

That's it! A tie in with the Christmas Story movie. You'll shoot your eye out!

Then Odin gets the decoder pin and 'don't forget to drink your Ovaltine' so he sends a blast of Odinforce to Ovaltine AND Little Annie Fannie....

Haha ! This never gets old. :grin:

Originality was never my strong point, evidently today more than ever.

All I seem to be able to do is cut and paste quotes.

"Donnie came from Miami F.L.A.

Hitch-hiked her way across the U.S.A.

Plucked her eyebrows on the way

Shaved her legs and then he was a she

She said, hey babe, take a walk on the wild side,

Said, hey honey, take a walk on the wild side."

As with everything else, though...it's not the concept it's the story telling. No one was on board with Spider-Ock but the story telling was pretty good and they won people over.

Like this idea? Hate this idea? Let's see how well they write it before we decide if it works or not.

Either way, though, the old Thor will be back in a year so no big deal.

I prefer that writers tell good stories within the established framework of longstanding characters...it takes skill and it allows new generations of fans to jump on and "meet" the characters we grew up with.

But that ain't the way the industry functions anymore.

Thor could save way more people by going around preventing droughts in dry countries than fighting a few dudes here and there.

Personally, I think this sucks. Thor isn't just a Marvel comic hero, he's an ancient Nordic god with stories almost as old as time. You can't just change that...even if you are Marvel comics...

The Nordic Thor never teamed up with a group of superheroes known as the Avengers. That can't be why you dislike the switch.

It can be and it is. It's the same reason "Twilight" movies were for girls. You can't take a legend (ie. vampires) and make them sparkle in the sun! Everyone knows they can't survive in the daylight! You can't marry a vampire and have children, they are the undead and so on...everyone knows that. Thor is the same. HE is a god. His father is Odin, his brother, Loki. He lives in Valhalla...everyone knows that...it's been that way for thousands of years. Sure the tales are fictional, but stick with the legend...even if you team up with the Avengers.

As with everything else, though...it's not the concept it's the story telling. No one was on board with Spider-Ock but the story telling was pretty good and they won people over.

Like this idea? Hate this idea? Let's see how well they write it before we decide if it works or not.

For Spider-Man: setting aside Dan Slott does not even know what he is doing, and understands little to nothing about the characters, that’s been something I would define almost as offensive as things like "resurrecting" Norman Osborne, giving Mephisto "godlike" powers so he can basically alter reality and make Peter and MJ marriage like it never happened (are we kidding?), having Lizard kill his son (what?) and the examples are countless for each and every character Marvel trashed alongside the last ten years (and more)…

And what a poor portrayal of Octopus too… That’s not an idea, that’s something to be ashamed about. I am not interested in the least if "it works or not", as long as they offend the readership by taking these arbitrary, pointless decisions. Not to mention the overall, suffocating political correctness, which even a thoroughly honest and skilled writer would not know how to circumvent.

No thanks.

Personally, I think this sucks. Thor isn't just a Marvel comic hero, he's an ancient Nordic god with stories almost as old as time. You can't just change that...even if you are Marvel comics...

The Nordic Thor never teamed up with a group of superheroes known as the Avengers. That can't be why you dislike the switch.

It can be and it is. It's the same reason "Twilight" movies were for girls. You can't take a legend (ie. vampires) and make them sparkle in the sun! Everyone knows they can't survive in the daylight! You can't marry a vampire and have children, they are the undead and so on...everyone knows that. Thor is the same. HE is a god. His father is Odin, his brother, Loki. He lives in Valhalla...everyone knows that...it's been that way for thousands of years. Sure the tales are fictional, but stick with the legend...even if you team up with the Avengers.

The premise does seem lame. Like in Greek mythology, if someone else were "worthy" to wield Poseidon's trident or Zeus' thunderbolt, they wouldn't BE them. Deity names and identities don't transfer over with weapon-yielding.

When you borrow your neighbor's drill you don't assume his identity along with it. It's dumb.

You've read Stoker's Dracula then?

The premise does seem lame. Like in Greek mythology, if someone else were "worthy" to wield Poseidon's trident or Zeus' thunderbolt, they wouldn't BE them. Deity names and identities don't transfer over with weapon-yielding.

When you borrow your neighbor's drill you don't assume his identity along with it. It's dumb.

Different characters in the past have wielded the hammer without "becoming Thor," like Beta Ray Bill, Superman, Storm, Captain America, Wonder Woman, and a few others. But I think Eric Masterson did "become" Thor before he spun off to be Thunderstrike...