• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The PUNISHER LS #1 club.

93 posts in this topic

Oh, and I'll go with #3 being "the" single most recognizable Punisher image.

#1 is magnificent...but for iconographic impact, #3 is the winner.

#3 is strong, I'd rank them 1,3,2,5,4. I will forgive you your error. :acclaim:

I don't know how anyone could quantify which is the most iconic, but I know I personally prefer #1 2c

I don't know anyone could quantify which is the most iconic, but I know I personally prefer #1 2c

Exactly! I seem to have misplaced my iconoscale! (thumbs u

Nope, this is the King IMHO. Cap Annual #8 is as good an image, arguably better if one prefers, so that's probably where you're coming from and if so I get your point, but the only thing interesting about that book was the cover. This isn't just a killer Zeck image its also, IMO, the single most recognizable punisher image ever published. Really only ASM 129 is close in that department.

You also have to get out of comic fan mode for a second and think about what the art itself would look like. The cap annual 8 art would be 1/4 of the surface area of this piece (50% of each dimension - 15 by 10 instead of 30 by 20 results in 25% of surface area...) and black and white instead of color.

In person, you can anticipate that this cover would punch you in the face and steal your money. The cap annual 8 art wouldn't have nearly the same presence. It would look like this piece's 1/4 scale lost little brother.

It's interesting that you mention the size factor. As great as the Cap Annual #8 cover is, the way it was displayed at the Cartoon Art Museum, it did seemed to get dwarfed next to the Captain America poster that it was displayed next to. That Cap poster is the same size as the Punisher Limited Series paintings.

What people may not know is that there is actually a second "original" of the Cap Annual #8 that we put in display at the Big Wow show that is actually larger than the Punisher paintings. It was the blueline version that Zimelman painted when they created the Cap vs. Wolverine poster.

So, you decide, does size matter when it comes to the making of a classic piece of art.

Raw_Fury_Closeup_zps4db23de6.jpg

Cap_Annual8_Poster_zps923be85d.jpg

Sorry, my goal wasn't to change the subject here on this thread. So, those that have Punisher #1's - post away!

thanks chuck. I don't think the cap poster is a great comparison because there is such a large border that it displays like a smaller piece, but the cap annual 8 poster in the second pic displays the point perfectly when compared to the small covers at the right hand side (thumbs u

When I talk about presence though I'm refering to both the size and the color. Large colorful art is always going to pop more in person than small black and white, other things (like talent!) being equal

[

Sorry, my goal wasn't to change the subject here on this thread. So, those that have Punisher #1's - post away!

I don't think anyone minds. You did post a number one. It was just missing the logo. (tsk)

Cap 321 is better than annual 8 :gossip:

:o

It's supreme. No doubt.

But I think you'll have a hard time convincing people that it's better than Annual #8.

[

I don't think anyone minds. You did post a number one. It was just missing the logo. (tsk)

Just be glad he didn't post a #2.

And DEFINITELY not a #4.

(multi-layer inside reference!)

I don't know how anyone could quantify which is the most iconic, but I know I personally prefer #1 2c

By using quantifiable data, such as merchandising, for example.

So whatever covers are on the most t shirts are the most important? Gimme a break. There's overlap there and you've presented an interesting way to look at it, but they aren't the same thing. Sometimes you put things on a t shirt simply because it's a suitable for a t shirt. That alone doesn't make it great or iconic.

Oy. I find myself in a debate with someone who likes to argue; I should know better ;) Let's just agree that all the covers discussed are great. You can't really go wrong amongst these choices.

So whatever covers are on the most t shirts are the most important? Gimme a break. There's overlap there and you've presented an interesting way to look at it, but they aren't the same thing. Sometimes you put things on a t shirt simply because it's a suitable for a t shirt. That alone doesn't make it great or iconic.

Oy. I find myself in a debate with someone who likes to argue; I should know better ;) Let's just agree that all the covers discussed are great. You can't really go wrong amongst these choices.

You better watch it, or I'm going to send you some bathroom ants.

Dead, of course.

You can't send live ants through the mail.

Usually.

"for example". dork.

Oy. I find myself in a debate with someone who likes to argue;

meh

Don't put me in a box, Canadian.

I shake my fist at you!

I should know better ;) Let's just agree that all the covers discussed are great. You can't really go wrong amongst these choices.

lol

So, *you* can disagree with me, but if I disagree with your disagreement, well, that's just right over the line, huh...?

Good to know!

:whee:

By using quantifiable data, such as merchandising, for example.

Please share it with me? Don't get me wrong, I like the image, I just never thought it as the most iconic.

"for example". dork.

meh

I shake my fist at you!

I should know better ;) Let's just agree that all the covers discussed are great. You can't really go wrong amongst these choices.

lol

So, *you* can disagree with me, but if I disagree with your disagreement, well, that's just right over the line, huh...?

Good to know!

Knowing is half the battle. ;) I was actually about to delete the post altogether as it seemed too smart azzy when my three year old came in the room ;)

We can agree to disagree. You're allowed ;)

As for liking to argue, that was actually something you wrote about yourself once ;) I wouldn't normally say that about someone I only know thru forums but I figured I could take the I for from the source! :)

"for example". dork.

meh

I shake my fist at you!

lol

Good to know!

Knowing is half the battle. ;) I was actually about to delete the post altogether as it seemed too smart azzy when my three year old came in the room ;)

We can agree to disagree. You're allowed ;)

As for liking to argue, that was actually something you wrote about yourself once ;) I wouldn't normally say that about someone I only know thru forums but I figured I could take the I for from the source! :)

DEBATE!

The word is DEBATE.

Arguing is a waste of time.

:ohnoez:

"for example". dork.

meh

I shake my fist at you!

lol

Good to know!

Highly aggressive. :whistle:

"for example". dork.

meh

I shake my fist at you!

lol

Good to know!

Highly aggressive. :whistle:

You take your #4s and get the hell on out of here, before I beat you over the head with a moldy banana! RGHAGRUHEJRHBEKJHBJKDHU!!!!!

:sumo:

#5. #6.

And possibly #7.

:cloud9:

Hey I can join this club...here ya go!

292xsfs.jpg:whee:

I have multiples of the original limited plus the 10 issues of the late 80's series as well. I like the Daredevil cover the most. Zeck is an artist I very much admired all my life.Not the most public artist I can think of though so nice one on the signature series.

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W