• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After 30+ years, I own a "Swamp"..

31 posts in this topic

Way back in the late 70's, I saw an intriguing DC Dollar comic at the pharmacy. DC Special Series #14 with the Swamp Thing. Flipping through it, my 12 year old mind was floored with the Wrightson art and the connections to the old Universal horror films I watched on Saturday afternoons with Sir Graves Ghastly. While the original series was over and seemed like it was so old (only about 7 - 8 years at the time. lol ) I knew I wanted to collect those old issues. I had just started collecting with JLA and others.

Over the course of the next 5 years, I managed to buy #1 - 10 though they were lower grade copies because that's all this teenager could afford at the time. I stopped collecting in 1984 during college and didn't start back until 1994. Over the last 20 year, upgrading and completing the original 24 issue run became one of my comic quests though a smaller one vs. JLA or X-Men.

Big thanks to Bob Storms who sent me last 2 pieces of the puzzle on Saturday. I got a nice (upgrade) CGC 9.4 of #3 with the Patchwork Man and #13 which I didn't have at all.

So, after 36 years, I have the original set of #24. Interestingly enough, I was given some TBP's of the Alan Moore version and it doesn't do anything for me. Maybe it's the art which I hate? Or that it wasn't what I grew up with? Not sure. I should try to read more as I gave up after a few issues.

Any ways, as always thanks for letting me share. My family would only look at me with puzzled ambivalence. lol

its great completing a 100% CGC graded set no matter how long it takes , some series take a lifetime , that's why we build a collection!

way to go!!!

*shrug* Doesn't matter to some of us if they're CGCed or not, but runs are awesome!

Oh that's OK , I just checked the registry and there are three sets 1-24 100% CGC graded and they are all very impressive, check out "Gary's swamp thing set" he gives nice descriptions and has photo's , the most impressive achievement to me, on this, the CGC CHATBOARD FORUM is a CGC REGISTRY SET 100% COMPLETE

( I have just learned that a significant portion of the people on the chat boards are not paying members of CGC and in fact many do not even care for CGC , they just like to pipe in with opinions)

anyone and everyone can have a raw set , almost certain there is a DC presents anthology book with all 24 issue for only $19.99 if you want to read them.

I applaud your complete set run!

anyone and everyone can have a raw set

That makes your entire post sound dismissive and demeaning.

Excellent job summing up his entire posting catalog.

This is the CGC Chatboard Forum, I believe CGC puts a lot of time and money into making these chatboards ,and I believe their aim is to get more people to work on CGC registry sets , submitting comics and building graded sets, seanfingh are you a paying member of CGC ? do you have any registry sets ?, do you ? or do you just pipe in with your comments all the time for free?

This is the CGC Chatboard Forum, I believe CGC puts a lot of time and money into making these chatboards ,and I believe their aim is to get more people to work on CGC registry sets , submitting comics and building graded sets, seanfingh are you a paying member of CGC ? do you have any registry sets ?, do you ? or do you just pipe in with your comments all the time for free?

Not that it matters a whit, but I am a Collector's Society member since 2005. I have about 1400 slabs. I stopped participating in the Registry when it became clear that they were never going to do custom sets. I display most of my books at MSC. I still have a bunch of out of date Registry sets that are about 50% accurate.

Do you feel like a ? Do you realize what a tvvatwallop you sound like? Do you? Or do you just make ridiculous condescending comments all the for free?

lol You're on a tear tonight!

This is the CGC Chatboard Forum, I believe CGC puts a lot of time and money into making these chatboards ,and I believe their aim is to get more people to work on CGC registry sets , submitting comics and building graded sets, seanfingh are you a paying member of CGC ? do you have any registry sets :foryou: ?, do you ? or do you just pipe in with your comments all the time for free?

Not that it matters a whit, but I am a Collector's Society member since 2005. I have about 1400 slabs. I stopped participating in the Registry when it became clear that they were never going to do custom sets. I display most of my books at MSC. I still have a bunch of out of date Registry sets that are about 50% accurate.

Do you feel like a ? Do you realize what a tvvatwallop you sound like? Do you? Or do you just make ridiculous condescending comments all the for free?

Not everyone is as online savvy or even socially aware as the next. Why start something in this place that is a foregone conclusion? Pointless.

I mean I would pay good money to see the rants on this forum take place IRL in say a diner where people have cutlery available, but online it just doesn't have that keen edge any more :foryou:

I think people who seal reading material meant for children into plastic boxes for investment purposes are pretty funny fellows.

Read comics.

I have a dc showcase presents soft cover book of : OUR ARMY AT WAR issues 1-20 that cost me $9.99 and I read every issue for about one tenth the cost of a single original issue , pretty sure every classical series has one of these anthologies for those who love to read