• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for British Forum Memebers

6 posts in this topic

Anyone from England familiar with these books? They measure close to 3" X 3" (7.62 Centimeters by 7.62 Centimeters). On the back cover you will see "Supplement to Adventure". Inside the front cover is "Adventure, 12 Fetter Lane, London, E.C. 4.

I gather there was a magazine named Adventure which provided these small booklets free to thier readers, but 1) when where these published? 2)What is the history ? 3) what is the going rate for these(?) and anything else you can provide is appreciated.

These are similar to a Big Little Book, in that they are mainly text with illustrations every few pages. Scans below.

Thanks in advance! thumbsup2.gif

books1.jpg

books2.jpg

popcorn.gif

Here's what I've found about an Adventure Magazine...

http://www.grantbooks.com/catalogbyauthor.html

"Talbot Mundy: Messenger of Destiny

by Donald M. Grant

Mundy's writings, including Tros of Samothrace, Purple Pirate and Om, remain as classics in the fantasy genre. And yet, there is a mystery about Talbot Mundy that parallels the marvelous writing that he produced.

Talbot Mundy: Messenger of Destiny is a bio-bibliography that provides new information about the author, while providing bibliographical material for the collector-enthusiast. The book contains biographical essays by Dawn Mundy and Peter Ellis, appreciations by Fritz Leiber and Darrel Crombie, and detailed book and magazine information on Mundy's stories, including his long and exciting association with Adventure magazine. Also included are personal photographs, book cover reproductions, and a wealth of associative material.

253 pages 7 x 10 ISBN 0-937986-46-1 $20.00"

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7656/mundybio.html (More about Mundy and Adventure Magazine)

http://www.pulprack.com/index1.html (Adventure Magazine the pulp)

The question is, is it the same Adventure Magazine? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hope this generates some leads for you.

Thanks Norinn!

I believe the Adventure Magazine you found is the Pulp Magazine which ran from around 1910 to 1955. It's an American magazine though. These booklets are of British origin. confused-smiley-013.gif

I thought I'd repost the thread here, as it was on page two in Comics General by the end of the day. Things move a little slower round here (and even slower in the Magazine Section and have stopped moving alltogether in the Sports Card section!) 27_laughing.gif

Maybe someone will know,...... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Wish I could help, but I'm no expert on this stuff. frown.gif

893whatthe.gif but,......YOU'RE BRITISH !!!

DOESN'T THAT AUTOMATICALLY MAKE YOU AN EXPERT OF "ALL THINGS BRITISH" ?!? makepoint.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

poke2.gif