• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FANS OF WRAPPED IN PLASTIC

6 posts in this topic

So with the announcement in the last couple of days that Showtime is going to revive the David Lynch/Mark Frost TV series Twin Peaks, I'm wondering if there are any fellow enthusiasts of the run of Wrapped In Plastic, which lasted 75 issues. I have a complete run of the magazine including issues that were reprinted with slight differences to identify said printings. Any other fans of the show or magazine around these parts? How do you feel about the series being revived? And do you think this will have any impact on the value or collectibility of WIP? Will it too be back?

It was actually a pretty slick production that I used to have a standing order for at my LCS. I used to see it on the occasional newsstand like at Tower or Virgin, but technically it probably would be more of a zine. I think one of the publishers has died in the interim and I haven't seen anything from the publisher that put it out in many years. They also did a Cerebus magazine and one titled Spectrum that also covered other cult tv shows and movies that weren't produced by David Lynch. WIP was very Lynch-centric and covered just about all of his projects even though it originated with Twin Peaks and specialized in it for most of it's run. I still don't have a camera to show you pix but you can find out a bit about it here:

http://spectrummagazines.bizland.com/allaboutsp.html

Fan of the show and of Wrapped in Plastic magazine here. I don't have a complete set of the magazines, but I am only missing a few. Sadly, the most expensive one (1st printing of #1) is one of the issues I am missing. Excited to see the show coming back, but I wish it was coming to AMC or FX, so I didn't have to subscribe to Showtime to see it. I personally don't see the value of the magazines going up. In my opinion, other than the essays, the magazine always felt like a report of the current goings on with David Lynch projects and Twin Peaks casts members' projects, so I didn't have much interest in going back and reading old copies of the magazine, it felt somewhat like reading old news. As far as WIP coming back, here's what John Thorne (the surviving co-editor of the mag) had to say in his blog:

In WIP, Craig and I wrote extensively about the series and film and we interviewed many of the actors and creative people involved with the Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me. We felt like we were documenting an important piece of art. I wish Craig were here to share in this wonderful news. I know we would be planning to continue WIP in some way and to start writing again about the new show. Sadly, a continuation of WIP as it used to be will probably not happen.

That being said, I do plan to write about this new show in some capacity. Perhaps I will simply blog about it here. Or maybe I can find a way to resurrect WIP online. I just don't know. But something will happen.