• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rusty Staple… What to do?

26 posts in this topic

So I've got a rusty staple in my reader copy of ASM 50. I pulled it out following the discussion in the Daredevil show to give it a read and noticed that the top staple was/is pretty rusted. The rust is starting to stain the pages.

It isn't a super nice copy of ASM 50, but it makes for a solid reader. It is tough to grade as the cover has some weird washed out thing going on but it doesn't look like water damage. It does appear to have some moisture marks on the BC though.

The rust is just going to get worse though as I live in MD where it is pretty humid. I'm tempted to pull out the staple and let bygones be bygones.

What would you do?

Pics of the book (sorry my scanner isn't set up):

unnamed-3_zpse9339192.jpg

Obviously the top corner is odd on the book. It doesn't have the feel of water damage though. Anyone have any idea what could have caused that?

And here is the damage occurring on the interiors of the book:

unnamed-4_zpsdeaa182f.jpg

I'd rather have an original book with a rusty staple than one non original

Just me

I agree on replacing the staple though…

Wouldn't you rather stop the spreading of the rust though and just remove the staple and have a book with one less staple? That is sort of my question.

If its a reader that he doesn't plan to get rid of... its only value is reading.

Still... you can save the rusty staple and put it back in should you want to sell off the book in it's original form.

Just an option ;)

If its a reader that he doesn't plan to get rid of... its only value is reading.

Still... you can save the rusty staple and put it back in should you want to sell off the book in it's original form.

Just an option ;)

That's true. I have a mega key with a rusty staple and i'm not messing with it. But that's different than this book.

I think rusty staples are my #1 pet peeve. Though sometimes difficult to spot initially, once you know it's there your eyes will focus on it. It will bother you more than a giant,teenage zit on the middle of your forehead. I concur with the crowd, sell the book and move on.

If you are planning on keeping the book as a reader then I would replace the staple without a doubt.

I am a purist and would love and original book with all original components, but when you are at risk of further damage then it is a no brainer for me.

I wouldn't be able to replace the staple with my sausage fingers, but good luck!

Pics of the book (sorry my scanner isn't set up):

unnamed-3_zpse9339192.jpg

Obviously the top corner is odd on the book. It doesn't have the feel of water damage though. Anyone have any idea what could have caused that?

That is water (dampness) damage in the top corner.

Yea I'm not sure how I feel about replacing it, but wouldn't pulling it probably leave the value about where it is already?

No.

If you pull that rusty staple, and don't replace the staple, the book will have a lower resale value.

If you pull that rusty staple, and you do replace the staple, the book will have a lower resale value.

I know you said this is your reader copy, and as Rupp said, the value is in the reading enjoyment and not the monetary value.

For me, I still want my reader books to retain as much monetary value as possible and I wouldn't knowingly lower that value. I'd leave the book as is and just keep enjoying it. (thumbs u

Yea I'm not sure how I feel about replacing it, but wouldn't pulling it probably leave the value about where it is already?

No.

If you pull that rusty staple, and don't replace the staple, the book will have a lower resale value.

If you pull that rusty staple, and you do replace the staple, the book will have a lower resale value.

I know you said this is your reader copy, and as Rupp said, the value is in the reading enjoyment and not the monetary value.

For me, I still want my reader books to retain as much monetary value as possible and I wouldn't knowingly lower that value. I'd leave the book as is and just keep enjoying it. (thumbs u

Exactly,the rust has already migrated to the paper, no point in removing it.