• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales 110 Pence issue

15 posts in this topic

Hi

This is my first post on here so here I go.

In a couple of months I should have a Strange Tales 110 pgx 9.2 restored uk edition 9D.

How much would this be worth and offers are welcome

Thanks for any advice and input

Welcome to the boards

1) Buy a subscription to GPA so you can research current CGC sales of the comics you own.

2) Most of us don't buy pgx unless it's heavily discounted. There are many threads on the boards that talk about the nightmare that is pgx. Use the search function to read about how bad pgx is.

3) The comic is restored. To what degree is it restored? For the most part, restored comics sell for a fraction of unrestored comics.

4) The comic is the UK edition. Most collectors shy away from the UK editions even though they were printed at the same time using the same paper & inks. UK editions generally sell for 50% - 75% of the US version. I personally have seen a slight increase in interest in the UK versions. I hope that trend continues, they are a cool variant.

My advice: Crack it out of the pgx slab, and send it to Matt Nelson for a thorough resto check. If the comic hasn't been trimmed or had massive resto done to it, he might recommend removing the resto. If he can remove the resto, the grade will most likely drop a few grades, but you will get a Blue label when you send it in to CGC for slabbing.

The last sale of a high grade unrestored UK version was $2988 for an unrestored 7.0.

Hi gazdukes

Thanks for a very informative response.

The restoration will be extensive so wouldn't be worth having it undone. To be fair I bought it for 200 pounds and the grade was around a 2.5. It has cost me 400 pounds to get it restored to this condition as the restorer is very talented.

A strange tales pgx 9.2 restored recently sold for $3000 on ebay. (which was cheap).

Do you think then as this is the UK edition I will be looking at far less. I agree with you that generally they do except for some like Iron Fist 14 which go for way more but this is very rare to find with 9d.

How much is a subscription to GPA?

Also finally I don't understand why so many people dislike PGX. I have read up on it but as far as I can tell their prices are cheaper, turn around is quicker and personally I think their grading is a lot more accurate. CGC at higher grades seem very harsh in my opinion.

If I am missing something which I'm sure I am let me know

Thanks for all your help

Matt

how on earth did you manage to get that for 200 quid! I need to keep more of an eye on ebay!

CGC costs £6.50ish a month (its done in dollars of my paypal account, so swings with the exchange rate) I started using it a couple of months ago and it really is very good.

I just had a quick look at this title, and although there are no comparable books on there really, you can see how much the UK ones go for compared the US

st110_zps93fd4b06.png

Hope this helps!

Hi

I got it through a private seller about a month ago was really pleased lol.

Thanks for the chart really does give me a better idea. Also makes me feel a bit better as at grade 8 it sold for two thirds of the US version.

Thanks for all the help once again

Yes, it did sell for 2 thirds of the US version, but that was without extensive resto.Unfortunately you may find that trying to sell it with a resto label is going to drop it a lot more... (shrug)

Hi PT

What I mean is if it sold for two thirds at 8.0 then this gives me an idea of what people are willing to pay. So if a us version was restored to a 9.2 and sold for $6000 then perhaps this would sell for $4000.I know when the grades get higher etc it can all change and it can depend on luck etc but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

A 9.2 extensive restoration pgx sold for $3000 so there is room for profit

Thanks for post

Hi PT

Thanks. I hope I get millions but I may be a bit optimistic. Well once I get it back I will post it on here to see if I get any decent offers. It will be good interesting I hope lol

Thanks

Matt

CGC doesn't allow people to sell PGX slabs on here. I just wanted to give you a heads up.