• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

digital OA as a 1 off print?

83 posts in this topic

Hrm. Not sure what to think of this: Steve McNiven is selling 'limited edition prints' of his digital artwork for 'Death of Wolverine'. Although I love McNiven's art, if I had enough money to spend I guess I would rather buy his full 'traditional' pencils of an older title, than any off these prints.

The Artist's Choice - Steve McNiven Original Artwork

He's not selling limited edition prints of his digital artwork at all.

When you buy a page, all hand inked by Jay Leisten (over pencils for #1, bluelines for 2, 3, 4), you get the page, a limited edition print (not of that page, it's the same print regardless of the page you buy), and any physical pencil roughs that McNiven did for that page.

All of that comes packaged in a special envelope with a COA.

Hrm. Not sure what to think of this: Steve McNiven is selling 'limited edition prints' of his digital artwork for 'Death of Wolverine'. Although I love McNiven's art, if I had enough money to spend I guess I would rather buy his full 'traditional' pencils of an older title, than any off these prints.

The Artist's Choice - Steve McNiven Original Artwork

He's not selling limited edition prints of his digital artwork at all.

When you buy a page, all hand inked by Jay Leisten (over pencils for #1, bluelines for 2, 3, 4), you get the page, a limited edition print (not of that page, it's the same print regardless of the page you buy), and any physical pencil roughs that McNiven did for that page.

All of that comes packaged in a special envelope with a COA.

Oops. In that case, thats a major misinterpretation on my part; I was totally focused on that 'limited edition print' part.

There's no chance that a one off copy of a digital file can garner original art prices. Making an print run of the piece? Sure, that'll work. Price them at $10-$50, or whatever you want.

It's one of the things you as an artist give up when you go the digital route. Part of the reason to own original art is to know that the work that was published was done on this physical piece of paper. Bends, smudges, white out, uneven ink, and all.

There are certainly lots of benefits to working digitally (speed, ctrl+z, shifting/changing things easier, zooming in, etc...) but being able to sell your work after the fact on the OA market isn't one them.

I see this as giving the artists that stick to traditional methods more power in the OA market since there will eventually be less modern stuff made in that method.