• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Defenders issue is this page from?

26 posts in this topic

Looks like Defenders 37.

Synopsis from Marvel Comics Database:

As Hulk and Jack Norriss get Aragorn back to Dr. Strange's Sanctum, the Hulk is hassled once more by the authorities and flees the scene. Jack with nowhere else to turn calls Power Man for help.

Meanwhile, Dr. Strange and Red Guardian manage to fight their way out of Plantman's giant flower, but are subdued by giant dandelion puffs, however Power Man arrives to turn the tide of the battle forcing Plantman to flee the scene, allowing the heroes to get Kyle Richmond back to his hospital bed.

While Valkyrie continues to have problems with her fellow cellmates in prison, Plantman seeks the aid of reinforcements by way of the Eel and Porcupine who are staying at the Celestial Man's Bozo cult center. However, when he finds that his former partners have been brainwashed by Nebulon's rhetoric, Plantman tries to leave, but Nebulon strikes him down.

Back in the hospital, left alone with Dr. Strange, the now conscious Kyle Richmond wonders if he is really experiencing reality or if this is another hallucination brought on by not being in a body. After his visit is over, Dr. Strange is knocked out by gas in the hallway and he along with Power Man, Red Guardian and Jack Norriss are captured by Porcupine and the Eel.

I will dig in my cave to pick out the issues in question… lol

:taptaptap:

If you can confirm that would be appreciated! ;) I found a synopsis on Marvel.wikia as well after reading Chrisco's post. But It might have just been copied from one site to the next. But it looks like this could be it.

From what I recall, it’s in the middle of the second Nebulon storyline, when Kyle starts to recover from his incredible journey, having had his soul, brain and body separated and manipulated for some time (the question that he is going to ask to Dr. Strange in the panel following the one you posted is related to that). :)

I am going to check now, but only for you! lol

From what I recall, it’s in the middle of the second Nebulon storyline, when Kyle starts to recover from his incredible journey, having had his soul, brain and body separated and manipulated for some time (the question that he is going to ask to Dr. Strange in the panel following the one you posted is related to that). :)

I am going to check now, but only for you! lol

(thumbs u

thx bro!

I am a bit biased but these must be among the finest stories produced by Marvel in the 1970s… :cloud9:

Defenders...hm Ive only read the Avengers Defenders War...that whole arc surrounding the Evil Eye. I can imagine being a young kid waiting for each issue with those classic hero vs hero battles headlined by Hulk vs Thor.

My era was the New Defenders with Angel, Gargoyle,

Moondragon, Beast (?). But I do wish to actually grab an Essentials vol 1-2 of the early Defenders series.

OK, it was easier than what I feared… I just had to move two boxes. :D

It’s Defenders #37, page 27, and the story is "Evil in bloom". Man, I am a bit biased but these must be among the finest stories produced by Marvel in the 1970s… :cloud9:

The Defenders issues from this period are some of Steve Gerber's best work.

I've always liked the Buscema / Janson art team on this run, as well.

@SteveRogers: Actually I have never read the "Avengers vs. Defenders" storyline: i have always been irritated by stories which seemed to be put together to have the heroes clash with each other! lol

I did read the original "Evil Eye" story as a kid, 'though – classic Lee/Kirby all around, and here it is the 50th issue of Fantastic Four. :)

What made me love immediately the later Defenders stories have been their maturity, complexity, without setting aside the heroism. Steve Gerber was/is a great writer, may he rest in peace. :cloud9:

OK, it was easier than what I feared… I just had to move two boxes. :D

It’s Defenders #37, page 27, and the story is "Evil in bloom". Man, I am a bit biased but these must be among the finest stories produced by Marvel in the 1970s… :cloud9:

The Defenders issues from this period are some of Steve Gerber's best work.

I've always liked the Buscema / Janson art team on this run, as well.

This.

Ive narrowed it to Defenders #37 - 40. But I dont have an Essential Defenders handy to find out. :pullhair:

Thanks!

Cage29.jpg

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why you singled out this rather obscure page out of the run? Did you acquire the original art so something? I don't see anything particular special or relevant with it other than a lull in the story to set up the next plot point.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why you singled out this rather obscure page out of the run? Did you acquire the original art so something? I don't see anything particular special or relevant with it other than a lull in the story to set up the next plot point.

Each and every Defenders page is relevant… :cool:

LOLOL

Yes Brian, Im a huge fan of Luke Cage (as well as other pioneer black heroes, Black Panther, Falcon, Black Goliath, Blade, etc.). I also collect relevant books of these characters.

Now Luke Cage made some early appearances in a few titles besides his own (ASM, FF, Defenders) before his well-renowned team with Danny Rand aka Iron Fist. I was always curious on how he linked up with the Defenders. I remember the first initial meeting (battle then team-up) that involved the Wrecking Crew, and some later team-ups.

But in researching (without the aid of an Essentials Defenders), I stumbled upon that obscure page online that cements his membership in the group in an official capacity.

:busy:

I was about to say that: I recalled how brilliantly Gerber "solved" the problem of having Cage, which felt he did not fit, as a Defender, and that was by having Kyle offering him to be hired with a paycheck. Not that it lasted, but it was brilliant, and Gerber knew how to wrote whatever character he handled. :)

We can consider this the "first Luke Cage both as a hero for hire and as a Defender". Let the speculation begin… lol:sick:

Yes Brian, Im a huge fan of Luke Cage (as well as other pioneer black heroes, Black Panther, Falcon, Black Goliath, Blade, etc.). I also collect relevant books of these characters.

BTW, I am as well! (thumbs u – a bit weak on Blade as I have very few Dracula books…

I was about to say that: I recalled how brilliantly Gerber "solved" the problem of having Cage, which felt he did not fit, as a Defender, and that was by having Kyle offering him to be hired with a paycheck. Not that it lasted, but it was brilliant, and Gerber knew how to wrote whatever character he handled. :)

Agreed. It would sound (at the time) if Luke Cage, Hero For Hire, joined a team...for kicks. Nah, he wanted the check!

We can consider this the "first Luke Cage both as a hero for hire and as a Defender". Let the speculation begin… lol:sick:

Not as hero for hire...as he was hired by for his work in prior books. Including ASM (123?), when he was hired by JJJ. I think Dr. Doom as well! lol

But I would say he officially joins Defenders in this book. hm

Dont start with the speculators!!! :pullhair: