• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stores: Chicago -> Grand Rapids -- UPDATED w/ Purchases

22 posts in this topic

I'm taking a trip this upcoming weekend from Chicago to Grand Rapids, MI.

I see a lot of comic stores listed along the way on Google Maps, but that only gives you half the story.

Anyone have suggestions and/or comments on any stores along that route?

For example, I see:

White Cap Comics

Vault of Midnight

Tardy's Collectors Corner

Heroes Haven

Fat Boy's Nerd Emporium

Thanks for the help!

-- dave

Thanks for the info, jaybes.

I'll be following up on your recommendations and probably hitting a couple new ones.

I'll report back if there's anything worth reporting about. :thumbsup:

Have to make these trips for my girlfriend's random marathons worthwhile somehow!

Not a big shop, but I picked up some nice books through them, and the owner was a good guy. They were right around the corner from my apartment there on Westnedge, before I moved to Houston. They were my shop when I got back into comics in 2004.

Not a big shop, but I picked up some nice books through them, and the owner was a good guy. They were right around the corner from my apartment there on Westnedge, before I moved to Houston. They were my shop when I got back into comics in 2004.

Not sure when you went to Fanfare last, but they did some renovating...pretty big shop. Biggest modern selection in west Michigan.

The Vault of Midnight in Ann Arbor is

a good shop, it won the Eisner a few years ago.

The GR location opened recently, and if it's anything like

the A2 store, it's worth a trip.

ML.

Unfortunately it's not like the AA location at all. Small and mostly TPBs. BUT, it's open at 4am so that's a plus lol

Not sure when you went to Fanfare last, but they did some renovating...pretty big shop. Biggest modern selection in west Michigan.

That would have been. . . 2010 or early 2011. I think that was the last time I was in Kalamazoo. Picked up a NYX #3 (CGC 9.8).

That's great that they expanded! I'll have to swing by and check it out, if I can ever get out of Houston for more than a couple of days (spending time with my nephews takes priority).

I know they had original artwork on their website.

Well, my girlfriend and I took a wrong turn at Albequerque and went to some shops we shouldn't have.

Oops.

The shops we ended up at:

Knappy's Comics

Buy Me Toys

Fanfare

Vault of Midnight

And the spoils:

Finally found a BH6 #5 to finish my set (though I did pay for it).

A Y the Last Man #1 in the wild!

An X-Men #4 b/c I always pick these up.

And a Captain Marvel #1 in good condition at a great pice.

Lastly, some wall books for my upcoming 1st ever show!

photo1_zps561118f2.jpg

photo4_zpsbb235dab.jpg

photo3_zpsbbd271ef.jpg

photo2_zps2ccc7782.jpg

photo1_zps37523dc5.jpg

photo2_zpsc557b6f3.jpg

photo3_zpsf5e095dc.jpg

photo4_zpsea219e0b.jpg

photo1_zps63457f15.jpg

photo2_zps368d7787.jpg

photo3_zps4893a441.jpg

photo4_zps66208c88.jpg